Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM

91 posts, read 408,638 times

Advertisements

My husband (age 60) will be working out of the federal building in downtown Atlanta. He will be traveling 40% of the time and working Monday-Thursday when he is in town. He will be coming home on weekends.

This is what we want. Private room & bath, walking distance to Marta (does he need a car in Atlanta?) if this is impossible, than short drive to marta station, 650.00 per month, and safe( I still like him and want to keep him around). Any suggestions for which area of Atlanta we should be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
I would suggest Midtown, Buckhead or The Perimeter Mall area. Most room rentals are in the midtown area. Take a look at Craigslist to see what you can find. He wouldn't need a car If he lives in those aforementioned areas since he will only be here Monday-Thursday.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default check this thread:

"moving from cali to GA"

Someone there just mentioned the Peachtree 710 building with small studios going for $650 including all utilities. I'm not in ATL, yet, so I don't know it exactly but it's on or near MARTA and in Midtown. Easy to the Fed. You can either take a little furniture from your home, after all those years you probably have too much anyway, or pick up some bargains at garage sales or thrift shops.
It sounds basic but it's not your real home after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Linna View Post
My husband (age 60) will be working out of the federal building in downtown Atlanta. He will be traveling 40% of the time and working Monday-Thursday when he is in town. He will be coming home on weekends.

This is what we want. Private room & bath, walking distance to Marta (does he need a car in Atlanta?) if this is impossible, than short drive to marta station, 650.00 per month, and safe( I still like him and want to keep him around). Any suggestions for which area of Atlanta we should be looking at?

Last edited by jessiesma; 01-23-2008 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Are you moving here for the longterm or just temporarily? Just asking.

You can probably find a 1 bedroom or studio in a house that's been converted to apartments in Decatur, Eastlake, Lake Claire, Candler Park, Kirkwood, Inman Park, and Midtown. Easy walks to the MARTA in many of those cases.

Definitely try craigslist. There aren't many apartment complexes in safe areas for that price and you're more likely to find a 1 bedroom apartment or studio than a room for that budget. Often in situations where someone is looking to let a room there is no private bath...it's shared.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
"moving from cali to GA"

Someone there just mentioned the Peachtree 710 building with small studios going for $650 including all utilities. I'm not in ATL, yet, so I don't know it exactly but it's on or near MARTA and in Midtown.

That was me. 710 Peachtree is an older apartment building that rents studios to 1BR and a few 2BR units that start in the $650 a month range but do include most utilities in that rent. It's about 1 block or so from a MARTA rail station (North Avenue) and within walking distance to restaurants, etc

Here's the thing - it's a love it or hate it kind of place. Some people get on apartment web sites and say it's roach infested - others say it's fine. Some say hookers hang out at the entrance - others say it's typical of any urban apartment building but not really that bad. You're not going to find a place that close to MARTA that includes the utilities for that price anywhere else, though. Well, except the "Darlington" apartments further up on Peachtree which are about the same price, but you can't walk to the rail from them - only a bus stop out front.

You can Google "710 Peachtree" I think and pull up the sites, good and bad, about it.

And yes, while MARTA hits the major spots, you still really do need a car in Atlanta.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:00 PM

91 posts, read 408,638 times
Scott will be there for 6 years until he retires. We are buying a place in Vero Beach (moving from the Dallas/Ft Worth area) instead of trying to figure out where to live in the Atlanta area and then trying to sell it down the road. I couldn't see staying by myself in Atlanta when I could be either traveling with him or playing with the grandbaby in Florida.
Thank you for all the feedback. I love this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta