Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times

Advertisements

This is exactly why the gay community would never come together as one. I have said time and time again that a lot of these white establishments do not want blacks there. Blakes has always been this way. They even treat black patrons different from the white patrons . This long list of what you can and cannot wear. Blakes basically has excluded a whole group of people and that is blacks...

Atlanta gay bar Blake's taking heat over dress code sign - LGBT Georgia | Gay Georgia | Gay Atlanta | LGBT Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Racism, schmacism. I don't particularly like asscrack with my martini, either.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM

It's ****ing ridiculous and then they started back pedaling

First off, Why wasn't the sign properly vetted by Alan (owner) before posting. This could have gone a totally different and more positive way had Blake's, instead of telling patrons what "not" to wear, establish a "preferred attire" scenario for the bar. I'm all for dress codes in fine establishments BUT since you wanna be uber classy now Fix the stairs so I don't ruin my expensive pumps; tell Leteisha to stop showing her breast between drinks, bartenders should be presentable and not look like they just rolled out of bed, AND close off that kitchen so I don't have to see or smell the food stench (which permeates my clothes) when I go up or down the aforementioned raggedy stairs.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Racism, schmacism. I don't particularly like asscrack with my martini, either.
There is a lot more going on in there than ass cracks Thats the least of there worries

Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Pretty high standards for what is essentially a trailer!

Despite the fact that the building is absolutely disgusting, Blake's used to be a place to "see and be seen" by trendy white gays. Over the years, this has changed with an influx of minority gays...not just blacks, but Hispanics, etc.

I think Blake's is trying to make sure it attracts a crowd that is appealing to the wealthy whites, who probably spend the most money. It's the moral equivalent of a "No Fat Chicks" sign at a straight bar.

Seems to me that the bar is just refusing to acknowledge that Atlanta has changed over the past couple of decades and people of all types live here now and are openly experiencing the gay lifestyle. I expect these type of growing pains in a culture that used to be so insular and self policing as it gains mainstream acceptance and more people become open about it. It's really no different from what the Buckhead scene experienced in the mid to late 90s.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
I'm straight and black and I don't want to be around negroes sagging their pants and I'm damn sure whites are the same way. It's not about racism because half the clubs in Atlanta have that exact same dress code that cater to professionals . Go to an upscale club tonight that caters to professionals here in Atlanta and see if they let you in with a basketball jersey and sagging pants.

Again professional blacks HATE seeing other blacks sagging their pants. We hate it and don't want to be around them so you know damn well whites are the same

Old 07-10-2015, 02:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm straight and black and I don't want to be around negroes sagging their pants and I'm damn sure whites are the same way. It's not about racism because half the clubs in Atlanta have that exact same dress code that cater to professionals . Go to an upscale club tonight that caters to professionals here in Atlanta and see if they let you in with a basketball jersey and sagging pants.

Again professional blacks HATE seeing other blacks sagging their pants. We hate it and don't want to be around them so you know damn well whites are the same
Speak for yourself; I'm Black with a master's degree and I don't give a damn what other people wear. I have no clue why people are so bothered by it; if you don't like it, then don't wear it. Problem solved.

And why are people only focused on the sagging pants when there's a laundry list of other clothing items/accessories mentioned?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Speak for yourself; I'm Black with a master's degree and I don't give a damn what other people wear. I have no clue why people are so bothered by it; if you don't like it, then don't wear it. Problem solved.

And why are people only focused on the sagging pants when there's a laundry list of other clothing items/accessories mentioned?
It makes our entire race look bad.

Why would a straight dude want other people to see his ass anyway?

Outside of a few spots who in the heck want to party with dudes sagging their pants

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
There is a lot more going on in there than ass cracks Thats the least of there worries
Prove it. I've never seen evidence of racism in that or any other gay bar in Atlanta. You want to patronize Blake's? Abide by the dress code. All $ are green.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
It makes our entire race look bad.
Get out of that mindset dude. What other people wear has no reflection on me and I'm not gonna sit here and feel some kinda way over some simple ish like that that's none of my business.

Quote:
Why would a straight dude want other people to see his ass anyway?
Uhhh, Blake's is a gay bar. That's the topic here.

Quote:
Outside of a few spots who in the heck want to party with dudes sagging their pants
Then don't go those spots; problem solved.

But you seem to be missing the bigger picture here by being so overly focused on one item out of that entire laundry list. It's quite apparent that they are attempting to exclude an entire demographic and something you might very well wear to a bar could preclude you from entering such an establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta