Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times

Advertisements

I just emailed the Lt Gov. I let him know that there are better ways to do this. Basically what I said was to just present a plan with state-funded commuter rail throughout the metro region similar to this map and it would immediately be welcomed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I am trying to figure out what a rail system "in an ultra conservative politicians own image" looks like.
Har! That's great, cq.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
pic
Honetly, that's pretty adorable.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I just emailed the Lt Gov. I let him know that there are better ways to do this. Basically what I said was to just present a plan with state-funded commuter rail throughout the metro region similar to this map and it would immediately be welcomed

"First Phase to open in 2006"

That's probably one of the biggest mistake our region has made. Imagine how many lines we would have today if this original one actually opened.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

I rail line to Clarkston would help the refugees that live there access the regions major job centers easier.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:43 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
"First Phase to open in 2006"

That's probably one of the biggest mistake our region has made. Imagine how many lines we would have today if this original one actually opened.

We had the federal backing too. The state lost it during the whole attempt to remove GDoT.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
I would recommend you all contact him also

Old 05-23-2016, 02:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
We had the federal backing too. The state lost it during the whole attempt to remove GDoT.
I think it's safe to say Perdue set back transportation in this state 20+ years with his attempted stunt to neuter GDOT.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Cagle knows EXACTLY what MARTA has done in the last few years. He just is downplaying it for his deeply-conservative suburban/exurban/rural audience which will hate an urban-dominated MARTA no matter what good things they do.
Someone sees through the BS! It is what it is, Cagel's comments are incorrect and offensive but they are unfortunately necessary for any state involvement at this point. As unfortunate as this is on the surface, it is actually quite exciting as a R in GA is voluntarily bringing up funding transit on the state level.

I've been away for a few days and it feels like I have missed months worth of news. So much is happening for Atlanta's future right now its easy to miss the magnitude of all of this.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I know this is beating a dead horse, and pointless, but here's why I think Cobb should join MARTA, but not Gwinnett:
http://i.imgur.com/s1CNJLR.png

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority is currently 3 counties, I think it should be 4. The truly metropolitan counties. There are 4 ITP counties: Cobb and Clayton have approximately the same amount of inside-285 territory. Cobb directly borders the city of Atlanta. Downtown Marietta is the same distance from Downtown Atlanta as Downtown Jonesboro is, and Clayton has MARTA. Even though Cobb has a lot more people, a lot more traffic problems, and it has high rise urban office buildings. Add the Braves, and it's just a no-brainer.

And by the same token, I don't care anymore whether Gwinnett joins MARTA. And I only think they should, if Cobb does also. Gwinnett doesn't go ITP, has an entire other county between it and Atlanta, doesn't have a major dense business district, and has a large population but that's because of the larger geographical area. They do need commuter rail, but it could just as easily be GRTA.

So, not against the idea of MARTA in Gwinnett, but I say MARTA will never be complete or fully useful, without Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta