U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, I just don't think we need to go back to 1890s technology and have slow passenger trains to Americus, Valdosta, LaGrange and wherever else that 29 lines article wants to put them.

Its amazing the number of people who fail to see that the past changed because there are better alternatives now. They want passenger trains to every little town and streetcars all over the place averaging just a little better than walking speed while making it difficult to drive a car.
I agree, 1820's technology (the electric motor) would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Glad I don't have to pay Fulton County sales tax much anymore.

Commuter rail TO ATLANTA is a bad idea when there are large job centers all over the metro. It's not centralized like some metros.

The wheel and spoke design is a fail. If I live in Alpharetta and work in Town Center area, I'm not going to go through Atlanta to do it. Likewise if I live in Kennesaw and work at Windward Pkwy, same deal.

It's ironic that people complain about Cobb's LRT/BRT concept being self-serving, when MARTA does the same thing.
if you live in Alpharetta and work in the Town Center area you're getting in a damn car because Cobb county refuses to build a rapid transit system. Cobb could build its own line straight to Alpharetta, but you won't. There's nothing stopping these urban-suburban job centers from connecting themselves with transit, but for some reason it's not happening.

Cobb's LRT/BRT concept is pure fantasy at the moment so I'm not sure it merits any comparison with MARTA at all.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:25 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,289,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
if you live in Alpharetta and work in the Town Center area you're getting in a damn car because Cobb county refuses to build a rapid transit system.
Cobb? Where is Alpharetta's HRT? You seem to just be blaming Cobb County. MARTA is doing horribly in North Fulton so that seems like just pointing fingers. IN FACT, North Fulton is a perfect example of why Cobb would be screwed by MARTA. How long has that extension been a consideration? There's always "discussion" to encourage private development, but I'll believe it when I see it. I bet Cobb gets its LRT/BRT first. In fact, it looks like Chairman Lee has learned from the best how to start "discussion" about rail lines that won't happen for a while, just to encourage private development.

For that matter, where's the HRT in Clayton and South Fulton? What about South Dekalb?

We have busses. We don't need that.

When MARTA comes to Cobb saying it'll pay and procure federal funding for a significant amount of HRT to Town Center, then its worth discussion. If we have to "pay our way" for decades just to get it, we may as well just build trains ourselves with our own sales tax if we ever want them.

Furthermore, we're never gonna see HRT to any parts of Fulton County bordering Cobb County in either Alpharetta, Roswell, or Sandy Springs. There is NO substantial discussion of HRT on I-285 top end resulting in route analysis and renderings. Only LRT.

Anyway, even if Cobb and Alpharetta had a connection to MARTA, people would drive across the North end through Cherokee County because MARTA would be a 1.5 hour ride for that whole stretch since they'd have to transfer in Lindbergh.

There would need to be a more direct connection. Even light rail that directly connected the two would be more popular than the HRT option.

Btw, MARTA has one serious problem: Every train stops at every station on its line. That kinda thing WILL NOT scale up to the entire metro!

Last edited by netdragon; 07-12-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
There would need to be a more direct connection. Even light rail that directly connected the two would be more popular than the HRT option.
So start building the tracks, Cobb county citizen.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Btw, even if theoretically MARTA built HRT, that still isn't going to help the Cobb Pkwy walkability. We still need that LRT/BRT on Cobb Pkwy just as Peachtree Street has discussed a streetcar (and for god sakes, Peachtree St is one block from MARTA). So I like the idea of going the cheaper route, doing the Cobb Pkwy line first, then seeing how that does. I still think averaging 40mph + from Cumberland to Town Center will be very desirable. Much better than averaging 5mph.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-12-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
So start building the tracks, Cobb county citizen.
Get light rail to Roswell center, then it's worth discussion. MARTA rail or light rail to anything that far off 400 will never happen. CCT used to have a bus route to MARTA down Roswell Rd but the ridership was too low. Cancelled a few years ago. However, it's tough to say what would happen with LRT to town center via Roswell Rd. It would probably do better but I doubt it'd be profitable. HRT would definitely be a black hole for money.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Get light rail to Roswell center, then we'll talk. It'll never happen. CCT used to have a bus route to MARTA down Roswell Rd but the ridership was too low. Cancelled a few years ago.
Right, like I said, it'll never happen because Cobb is never going to build a light rail system. Not in the next decade anyway. So there is zero point in talking about connecting anything in Cobb county to anything anywhere else. The two suburban job centers that need to be connected are Sandy Springs and Alpharetta, and that's exactly the plan currently making its way through federal environmental impact studies.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
You mean the internal combustion engine that is inside 99% of all vehicles currently on the road?
Alright, 1830s rail technology.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Right, like I said, it'll never happen because Cobb is never going to build a light rail system.
I don't see why Cobb is required for MARTA to build light rail through the major roads (140, 9) in Roswell or HRT in Alpharetta. MARTA just isn't living up to its promise.

If we had a SPLOST in Cobb County DEDICATED to transit, we'd do a lot better with it. We have to use so little of our 1% tax for CCT operations. It'd be one thing if MARTA used some of the 1% for capital improvements, but they haven't really done that in decades aside from some system upgrades of the existing tracks and stations. I think part of the problem is HRT is expensive, and some of the mistakes were made of building HRT prematurely, just like some people are proposing for town center. Doomed to repeat the same mistakes if not aware of it. Were MARTA to have less HRT and more LRT and streetcar from the outset, I think it'd have done much much better. Poor money management was also a problem in the past, though hopefully that is getting solved now with the new CEO.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I don't see why Cobb is required for MARTA to build light rail through the major roads (140, 9) in Roswell or HRT in Alpharetta. MARTA just isn't living up to its promise.

If we had a SPLOST in Cobb County DEDICATED to transit, we'd do a lot better with it. We use so little of our 1% tax for CCT operations.
Sorry, but that's just dumb. You use little of your tax for CCT operations because CCT is a skeletal transit system. MARTA is embarking on planning three major rail projects at the same time within its existing coverage area. To say that it should do even more is to argue in favor of more funding for MARTA, which I'd certainly agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or