Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
A bit of clarification if someone would help. Does SB 369 allow Atlanta to vote for MARTA, or is that still wrapped up in HB 1131?
Government - How a Law is Passed in the Georgia General Assembly - GeorgiaInfo

I think it depends on whether the House approved SB 369 already. And I don't think they have. So, the House has to now vote on SB 369. I think. Then the Governor signs, then Atlanta is good.

HB 1131 is basically the same language on a different bill, I think. So I think the MARTA addendum becomes unnecessary if 369 passes the House. I think they probably did it that way, put it on 2 bills, 1 in each house, to maximize their chances. And I think that strategy worked, since one of them apparently got postponed.

Or I could be wrong, and the 2 bills are different enough in the MARTA amendment details that a compromise bill dealing with the MARTA section would have to be approved by both houses.

Government is way too complicated, if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Government - How a Law is Passed in the Georgia General Assembly - GeorgiaInfo

I think it depends on whether the House approved SB 369 already. And I don't think they have. So, the House has to now vote on SB 369. I think. Then the Governor signs, then Atlanta is good.

HB 1131 is basically the same language on a different bill, I think. So I think the MARTA addendum becomes unnecessary if 369 passes the House. I think they probably did it that way, put it on 2 bills, 1 in each house, to maximize their chances. And I think that strategy worked, since one of them apparently got postponed.

Or I could be wrong, and the 2 bills are different enough in the MARTA amendment details that a compromise bill dealing with the MARTA section would have to be approved by both houses.

Government is way too complicated, if you ask me...
Okay, so SB 369 has passed the House as amended, and therefore needs to go back to the Senate to be voted on again. Then the Governor signs.

I skimmed through it, and SB 369 allows the City of Atlanta, as well as special county districts to fund transit. It doesn't actually seem to limit WHICH counties can set up funding districts, so I don't see how DeKalb couldn't do this as well.

HB 1131 appears to be entirely redundant now, and will most likely be left to die since it's unneeded.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Okay, so SB 369 has passed the House as amended, and therefore needs to go back to the Senate to be voted on again. Then the Governor signs.
Yep, that's exactly right. Thanks for the correction.

The bill passed in the Senate before the MARTA piece was added. So it needs to go back to the Senate for a re-vote there. Then it's good.

As for why/how this bill only pertains to the city and not other jurisdictions, I'm not sure. All I know is, it's pretty ridiculous when the people are not allowed to vote on something that the majority clearly wants. I highly doubt a MARTA funding referendum would have any trouble passing in DeKalb. Should be none of the state's business.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Damn. That sucks to hear that DeKalb got screwed out of this. And North Fulton is almost certainly going to kill the 400 Corridor, because ER MAH GERD TAXES!

But at least the CoA has a clearer path to Clifton Corridor expansion. 1-for-3, I suppose. Maybe they could get the short, west side Blue Line extension in with the package?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Damn. That sucks to hear that DeKalb got screwed out of this. And North Fulton is almost certainly going to kill the 400 Corridor, because ER MAH GERD TAXES!

But at least the CoA has a clearer path to Clifton Corridor expansion. 1-for-3, I suppose. Maybe they could get the short, west side Blue Line extension in with the package?
Projects aren't specified in the bill. They'll be outlined by the city and MARTA mid year.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:37 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yep, that's exactly right. Thanks for the correction.

The bill passed in the Senate before the MARTA piece was added. So it needs to go back to the Senate for a re-vote there. Then it's good.

As for why/how this bill only pertains to the city and not other jurisdictions, I'm not sure. All I know is, it's pretty ridiculous when the people are not allowed to vote on something that the majority clearly wants. I highly doubt a MARTA funding referendum would have any trouble passing in DeKalb. Should be none of the state's business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

From many of the reports that I have heard, DeKalb County supposedly asked the legislature not to include them in any MARTA legislation this year so that the county could pursue some other kind of tax referendum in November.

DeKalb County supposedly wants to revisit the MARTA issue next year.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 AM

294 posts, read 451,094 times
Let's just annex all of Druid Hills and move on with the Clifton Line!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
Let's just annex all of Druid Hills and move on with the Clifton Line!
True. I bet Emory is wishing it was already part of CoA.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
True. I bet Emory is wishing it was already part of CoA.
Emory and the Feds should chip in and help fund this line as they will directly benefit from it.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Yall Dekalb folks better vote down any road projects in Nov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta