Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 10:59 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Keeping up with the news on CD? This isn't the real world. This is an internet forum overrun with transit fanatics who live outside reality. No one is seriously talking HRT for that corridor except the "that sounds kinda cool" crowd on here. MARTA's last study on this corridor clearly showed that it didn't have the projected ridership to support even LRT let alone HRT.

Perhaps you should follow the real news closer. If you want some advice on how to do this, I can mentor you offline. PM me.

- DirkMcGirt out.
He never said he kept up with the news on City-Data; you said that and now want to get snarky and condescending because you read something into his statement that was never there? Do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:44 AM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
Im sure eventually the fair tax will be instated, so we'll see heavy tax increases on consumer items as well services - might as well go ahead and raise taxes now to get us used to the "feeling" ...
The "fair tax" (which is anything but) doesn't have a chance, and would likely reduce tax revenue substantially, don't realistically plan on it for any transit expansion funding.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The "fair tax" (which is anything but) doesn't have a chance, and would likely reduce tax revenue substantially, don't realistically plan on it for any transit expansion funding.
Pretty sure he was agreeing with your sentiment with sarcasm. I agree with arjay. Put it to the voters, and let them speak.

I would like to see how MARTA goes about wording their pitch though. Are we going to see all the sales tax from Fulton, DeKalb, and the City of Atlanta (all separate as far as the MARTA sales tax is concerned) go towards one fund? Will we see CoA's extra revenue go towards streetcars/beltline while Fulton and DeKalb combine for the rest?

Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,638,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
I'm sure MARTA accepts donations. Nothing is stopping you from paying them extra. Where do you live and why live there? 90 minute commute? You are doing life wrong, son.
I just purchased a home in Tucker and commute to Cobb. I chose Tucker because it is closer to my aging parents. Also, 90 minutes is the total commute per day not just one way.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,254,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Some bridge, somewhere, sure is missing an A grade troll.

- Frankster87 out.
Speaking of, does anybody know where they moved the "ignore" feature on City Data? I know we used to have one, because I used it for the corn nugget.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:38 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,127,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Speaking of, does anybody know where they moved the "ignore" feature on City Data? I know we used to have one, because I used it for the corn nugget.
On the top blue bar, click "My Settings". In the menu that appears on the left hand side, click "Edit Ignore List".

- skbl17

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,254,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
On the top blue bar, click "My Settings". In the menu that appears on the left hand side, click "Edit Ignore List".

- skbl17
Success! Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
MARTA chair says agency plans to seek part of transportation sales tax for expansion - Reporter Newspapers
Quote:
MARTA plans to ask Georgia lawmakers next year to convert a portion of a proposed transportation sales tax for use to add rail lines, the transit agency’s chairman says.

MARTA Chairman Robert L. Ashe said the agency wants to use half of a proposed transportation sales tax to pay for transit expansion and to ask DeKalb and Fulton voters to extend the tax for 42 years, through the life of the current MARTA sales tax.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
So, this is my understanding of how MARTA is funded via sales tax, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1% is currently paid in Fulton, DeKalb, City of Atlanta, and Clayton.

In Fulton, DeKalb, and Atlanta, the 1% only covers bus maintenance and rail maintenance of what exists, since those areas already have at least some existing rail service.

In Clayton, half of their 1% covers bus services, and half of it will cover a future rail line, located mostly in that county.

In addition to the 2 counties mentioned, would the proposed extra .5% also be paid in City of Atlanta?

If an extra .5% in Fulton and DeKalb gets about 20 additional miles of heavy rail with 10 new stations, plus a new light rail line with about 8 new stations, then imagine what kind of kick butt, extensive transit system MARTA could be, if the 5 intended counties all paid 1.5% on a permanent basis, with .5% specifically devoted to capital expansion projects (beyond a base rail service implied provided within the base 1% investment.)

MARTA needs to be embraced and invested in. You should be able to get from almost any part of the metro to almost any other part, by train, like you can in New York. Traffic is only getting worse over the decades. Need a way to bypass it.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So, this is my understanding of how MARTA is funded via sales tax, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1% is currently paid in Fulton, DeKalb, City of Atlanta, and Clayton.

In Fulton, DeKalb, and Atlanta, the 1% only covers bus maintenance and rail maintenance of what exists, since those areas already have at least some existing rail service.

In Clayton, half of their 1% covers bus services, and half of it will cover a future rail line, located mostly in that county.

In addition to the 2 counties mentioned, would the proposed extra .5% also be paid in City of Atlanta?

If an extra .5% in Fulton and DeKalb gets about 20 additional miles of heavy rail with 10 new stations, plus a new light rail line with about 8 new stations, then imagine what kind of kick butt, extensive transit system MARTA could be, if the 5 intended counties all paid 1.5% on a permanent basis, with .5% specifically devoted to capital expansion projects (beyond a base rail service implied provided within the base 1% investment.)

MARTA needs to be embraced and invested in. You should be able to get from almost any part of the metro to almost any other part, by train, like you can in New York. Traffic is only getting worse over the decades. Need a way to bypass it.
Yes, CoA would pay the additional .5% sales tax.
I wouldn't say it makes sense to get from almost any area on a train; eg: Cherokee County, but people should be able to get around by train to major employment centers and dense areas of activity; Town Center/KSU, Marietta, Cumberland, North Fulton, Stonecrest, Norcross, Gwinnett Village, Gwinnett Place, Emory/CDC, FIB corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta