Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 04:09 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yes. 42 years is basically permanent. I couldn't support something that long term on top of the existing 1 cent tax. I could definitely support something longer than 5 years.
Seniors should be allowed to opt out. Even if they put the additional tax on today it will probably be 15 years before you see any new trains rolling and many of us will be gone by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
True, unless MARTA/GRTA/GDOT build parallel rails / helped fund capacity upgrades as leverage to getting Commuter Rail track rights.

I would love for it to be HRT down to Clayton, but if you can build Commuter Rail at a fraction of the cost for similar or equal service, why not?

I want to see the studies that MARTA puts out before I solidify my opinion though.
I'll bet that MARTA will cheapen out on CR to Clayton and make it "GRTA Express on rails" with limited one-way rush hour service. Plus riders would still have to transfer at East Point.

Meanwhile, when Clayton residents see HRT extensions to Windward and Stonecrest and wonder why they're getting the shaft with halfass service, they'll probably get very upset.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seniors should be allowed to opt out. Even if they put the additional tax on today it will probably be 15 years before you see any new trains rolling and many of us will be gone by then.
Not everything is about placating your generation.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Not everything is about placating your generation.
EVERYONE, including seniors, benefits from increased regional mobility. If seniors get to opt out, so should lower income residents, since that's basically what you're saying. Ideally we wouldn't be relying on sales taxes, but since we are, seniors have to pay just the same as anyone.

Quote:
I'll bet that MARTA will cheapen out on CR to Clayton and make it "GRTA Express on rails" with limited one-way rush hour service. Plus riders would still have to transfer at East Point.

Meanwhile, when Clayton residents see HRT extensions to Windward and Stonecrest and wonder why they're getting the shaft with halfass service, they'll probably get very upset.
I'm not so certain. It's fair to be worried, but I have yet to see anything that says that they'll do what you're saying they will as far as service frequency goes.

It may be the case if they have to use existing tracks. They may hold all day two way service every half hour with ten minute rush hour trains. They may build their own tracks. They may upgrade the existing tracks.

One thing I will give you is the transfer at Eastpoint. They NEED to figure out a way to bring it in to 5 Points. I would LOVE to see some kind of simi-perminant platform and/or siding with access to 5 Points. It doesn't have to be MMPT level build, but SOMETHING would be nice even if it were just a concrete pad and a Breezecard Machine with a MARTA cop booth.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:26 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:

I haven't seen any discussion about connecting this eventually into downtown. It is part of the Chattanooga-Jacksonville passenger rail idea. But there seems to be no plan for implementing the passenger rail. I just don't see this being of much benefit to Clayton relative to a bus plan.

If they have to build their own track instead of using N-S it really increases the cost. I'd like to see how much more it costs to do HRT (and of course, how using that ROW impacts an eventual passenger rail).

Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
what $8B will buy:
Love the map, it's always very important to see what you are going to get. That sells the idea better than anything.

But I think you are leaving one huge piece out...

Quote:
The biggest public works package in decades would have other elements as well. In DeKalb County, there would be a rail link to Emory University and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, plus another line shooting eastward along I-20. Within the city of Atlanta, the Beltline awaits.
Now, I really hate the way this was written, but reading this multiple times leads me to believe the 8 B will include funding for Beltline transit. That is huge. Likely not the whole network, but some of the more important pieces sound like they will be funded.

Sad to think this doesn't include Cobb or Gwinnett, but who knows, jealousy may kick in.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Sad to think this doesn't include Cobb or Gwinnett, but who knows, jealousy may kick in.
Cue arjay/netdragon with the "we'll be just fine without MARTA" schtick.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Well, I know the inclusion of both those counties would make for a huge transformation of the system. I just wish they would join for everybody's benefit.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Love the map, it's always very important to see what you are going to get. That sells the idea better than anything.

But I think you are leaving one huge piece out...

Now, I really hate the way this was written, but reading this multiple times leads me to believe the 8 B will include funding for Beltline transit. That is huge. Likely not the whole network, but some of the more important pieces sound like they will be funded.

Thanks! I believe it's important to step back and see the whole picture too.

As for the Beltline, the way I understood it is that right now the State of Georgia allows counties to have its citizens vote to approve 1% TSPLOSTs in 5 year intervals. MARTA wants to take that existing legislation, and amend it to 1) Allow the county to volunteer a part of that 1% (see .5%) to a local transit agency for projects within the county, and 2) extend the time the tax is in place from 5 years to some agreed upon length (see, the end of existing MARTA sales tax).

So, Fulton/DeKalb/Clayton and maybe eventually Gwinnett Counties would vote to levy their 1% TSPLOSTs with half of that revenue going to MARTA, and half going to the counties.

That half going to MARTA is what allows the $4B bonds to be issued, and then matched by the Feds. The half going to the counties can be used how ever they see fit. For Fulton, this can mean anything from contributing to Atlanta Streetcar/Atlanta Beltline Inc. (another local transit authority) to building new PATH trails and repaving streets.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:55 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Good grief, as I have explained NUMEROUS times before, there is no realistic way MARTA is going to get away with running commuter rail just to East Point. Not only will the public complain, but the freight railroads simply won't allow it unless they build an expensive siding track, that there really isn't room for. A single train turning around takes about 20 minutes. It's not as simple as throwing it in reverse and cranking open the throttle like your car. CSX and NS (CSX's busy Atlanta-Savannah/Jacksonville mainline joins right at East Point) are simply not going to want multiple passenger trains tying up the mainline for a third of an hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta