Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:53 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

MARTA to make an $8 billion pitch to change the face of Atlanta | www.ajc.com

Quote:
...Over the next seven months, the people at MARTA will quietly button-hole local leaders and state lawmakers — top Republicans included — with the aim of building support for an $8 billion expansion of commuter rail that would transform the region.

The future of metro Atlanta could become startlingly linear — a single file of major economic development up and down what is now Georgia 400, built along a rail line that would link Alpharetta with downtown Atlanta and its airport beyond.

The biggest public works package in decades would have other elements as well. In DeKalb County, there would be a rail link to Emory University and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, plus another line shooting eastward along I-20. Within the city of Atlanta, the Beltline awaits.

As passed by the General Assembly, H.B. 170 included a provision that allowed all 159 counties in Georgia to levy an additional one-cent sales tax for local transportation projects – through local referendums that can’t be held until 2016.

MARTA has approached officials in Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties with the idea of assigning a half-penny of those proceeds to the transit agency. Approval by DeKalb and Fulton alone would give MARTA an additional $175 million to $200 million a year.

Which could buy $4 billion in construction bonds. Which, Ashe and other MARTA officials are betting, could be matched by an equal amount of federal dollars, resulting in a spurt of construction that would last seven to 10 years.

The only problem is that the penny sales tax granted to counties comes with a five-year sunset. That’s no good for larger, long-term bonding projects, whether involving rail or roads. Nor would would a five-year sunset convince the distributors of federal dollars that the Atlanta transit expansion had long-term, local financial support.

MARTA, Ashe said, intends to ask the General Assembly to make a slight change in H.B. 170. First, state permission would be required to allow counties to assign a portion of that tax revenue to a transit agency. The life of that tax would also have to be extended – to 42 years, the life of the current penny sales tax levied in Clayton, Fulton and DeKalb for MARTA.

Ashe’s election year pitch: “We haven’t raised taxes, because the taxation authority already exists. It’s already state law. You just change to whom it goes, and how long it lasts.”

I asked the MARTA board chairman whether he has approached the governor with the idea. He has. “Our conversations with the governor and his staff encouraged us to seek authority from our members,” Ashe said.

One possible translation: If MARTA can demonstrate strong support for the idea from Democrats and Republicans in Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties, then the governor won’t slam the door on what could be a game-changing move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
The dream comes true?!?!?!?!

Ok, it's early but it sounds like AJC is mixing up commuter rail with HRT. It sounds like they are referring to all the projects they have been planning for a while now, 400 extension, Clifton, I-20 east, and even the Beltline. This is funding for existing projects, nothing new. I guess when I read commuter rail network I have visions of the Brain Train and I get way too excited.

Dunno if it's just me or the writing is just really bad and makes it sound like something it isn't -

Quote:
...with the aim of building support for an $8 billion expansion of commuter rail that would transform the region.
...along a rail line that would link Alpharetta with downtown Atlanta and its airport beyond
....But it is the proposed, five-station expansion of commuter rail into north Fulton County –
...A rail line thrust between Cobb and Gwinnett counties
Regardless, this would be great! Still wouldn't mind seeing some gambling money come transit's way rather than more taxes, but this would work. Banking on $4 B from the feds kind of sucks too. But with the good rep being strongly built by KP, there has been no better time than now to sell expansion of the system.

Last edited by tikigod311; 07-11-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I am okay with it, as long as the taxpayer in Fulton and DeKalb doesn't get stuck with additional taxes on top of what we are already paying MARTA.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
reminds me of a song, In the year 2525...

Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Once the tax is on it will probably never go away! Don't trust politicians!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with it, as long as the taxpayer in Fulton and DeKalb doesn't get stuck with additional taxes on top of what we are already paying MARTA.
I'd gladly pay an additional 1/2 cent if it meant $8 billion in capital funding for HRT expansion.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Once the tax is on it will probably never go away! Don't trust politicians!
That's the point. It's not supposed to be temporary unless you want to shut down MARTA.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
I'll give my support to any political leader who supports this. Considering how long Georgia has been ignoring Atlanta's transit infrastructure needs, $8 billion is a modest investment in catching up to where we need to be.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:38 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,063 times
are ya'll blind to see, who this ONLY helps??

the construction companies...

building over priced highways and roads. at record high profit margins.
while only paying the men who actually build the roads, $9hr to $12hr.
while the construction companies pay its execs and shareholders great returns.

the people voted against the last projects.

now the govt, dont even ASK the people anymore. they just get the bonds, and make the people pay for it. (bonds, taxes, etc)

Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Seems like an awfully high price tag for just a handful more stops. But at least it is something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta