Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times

Advertisements

My father will be a doctor out in Demorest. He currently lives in Smyrna and used to work at Emory. He's sort of on retirement but hasn't completely retired yet. He gets a job every few years, works for a few then takes a few off. He's on a 1 year lease so, he's gonna commute from Smyrna for 1 year 1.5 hrs each way, probably staying out there for the week and then coming home on the weekends to make it less painful... In the meantime, he's going to start looking around there to see what places he likes.

So we need ideas of good places to look.. He prefers to be right on the lake, if possible. Doesn't care to be in the metro - wants a place where people are educated and not rednecks and where he can get a good deal on a tiny home with lake access and preferably a dock or dock rights. Route 369 would probably be the Southern end of the range being considered, then anything around the Northern end of the lake from there. Chestatee to Gainesville, essentially.

At this point, he's just going to get a feel for different communities so a good number of options is great.

Now, not sure where the cool stuff is on Lake Lanier but obviously proximity to those things are a plus. Been to Lanier island but I think it's on the wrong end of the lake. Any entertainment / park / marina areas worth considering on the Northern half of it?

1. Budget - Probably in the low $100ks at most.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Anything, 1-2br, on lake. Could be cottage that's not winter-ready and needs to be gutted. I don't think he cares whether or not he has a yard, but has grandkids so a small yard may be useful. He'll be miserable if he has too much to maintain.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - working in Demorest
4. Children(public school vs. private) - None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - He prefers urban but lake would trump that. Overall, I don't think he cares too much
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - AS FEW REDNECKS AS POSSIBLE. A progressive area with educated people would be best. Don't have high hopes up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
umm....

You're not going to find this.

He barely has the budget for buying an empty lot at the extreme northeastern end of the lake.

What he can find is a home in a neighborhood that has lake front properties, but not his home. He won't have too much room to be picky. I would look for public access points and parks he could make use of.

I'll be honest... this list comes off very picky to have such a low budget.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Well I was thinking of places but then I saw the budget. Yea. Even on Lake Hartwell you'll struggle to find decent lots for 100k or less. At least convenient to 85 on the GA side. My aunt and uncle live right in the middle just north of GA 53 on the lake. It's close enough to Gainesville to still have a kinda suburban feel. You still have 4 lane roads with the concrete median. Good cell phone coverage. Farther to the west you're pretty close to the development on 400 at 53. I don't think anywhere on Lanier is truly rural and the prices reflect that.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
My house off exit 16 Pilgrim Mill Road fits your criteria except that its not exactly a progressive crowd.

Tidwell Park has public lake access 5 mins away and our subdivision has access as well.

Last edited by DaBurgh; 07-12-2015 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: exit 16

Old 07-12-2015, 10:07 AM

I guess if he had a place to store a boat on his lot and was within walking distance of the lake, that could work. His budget is driven by not wanting to spend retirement funds, yet. Living on a lake lot wouldn't be worth that to him. It'd just be a plus to be right on the lake.
Does that open things up a bit more?

Lake Lanier is preferred over Lake Hartwell. Doesn't want to be that far away from us.

"Progressive crowd" isn't necessary. If it's conservative like East Cobb, Kennessaw or Alpharetta, I think he'll survive. Not an area where he'll be constantly hearing about how everyone should go to church every weekend or a significant number are like Larry the Cable Guy or Duck Dynasty types.

What should we expect out there?

Last edited by netdragon; 07-12-2015 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 01:08 PM

I've got a 2BR 900 square foot house that I bought for 82k almost 2 yrs ago. I'm on a 1/3 acre double lot that takes 20 mins to mow with my electric lawnmower. Taxes were only 532 a year but have almost doubled since home values have increased. Most homes are 2BR on 1/6 of an acre on my street. Not far away heading towards the lake on Pilgrim Mill you can find something a little newer/nicer for low to mid 100's. There is not much curb appeal or aesthetically pleasing, gated communities or any "keep up with the Joneses" mentality here--folks are lower middle to middle class or retired. There are still some pockets of rednecks but they seem to keep to themselves. I prefer it here over where I used to live in Roswell because there is no "rat race" mentality.

This area of Forsyth/Cumming is rapidly diversifying. Every time I go to Krogers or the park I see blacks and Hispanics which wasn't the case when I moved here. Half of my neighbors own, the other half rent, and they all keep to themselves. There is no gossiping or judgments about who goes to what church, etc. We all have tons of privacy. My only complaint is the lack of fun things to do but I knew that when I moved here. For my commute and daily needs (Kroger close by, big box stores less than 10 mins away, easy access to 400, low bills) its all good.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Didn't expect anything that affordable in Cumming and thought further North would be necessary. That's promising because as far as working in Demorest is concerned, that's still the Southwestern part of the lake. Sounds like he could skirt the edge of the established Cumming stuff and find a good deal. And he's commuting the reverse direction anyway.

Any thoughts about around Browns Bridge Rd / 369, either side of the lake? Know of any subdivisions there with public lake access within walking distance?

What about route 53?

Anyone know anything about Lula on the other side of the lake?

Last edited by netdragon; 07-12-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 PM

I'm finding a bunch of lots/land available on the waterfront that he can just build something small, cottage-sized on (if it isn't restricted to over a certain size). That way, he doesn't have to pay for anything he doesn't want. Any thoughts/pitfalls going that route?

E.g.:
5435 Hulsey Circle, Gainesville, GA For Sale | Trulia.com

and

http://www.trulia.com/property/30377...ville-GA-30504

Last edited by netdragon; 07-12-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:44 PM

If you drive down 369 --Browns Bridge Rd that connects to Gainesville-- and drive down some of the side roads towards the lake, you may find something. I'm not all that familiar with the subdivisions unfortunately

For building the only restrictions that I know of are no mobile homes and house must be at least 500 square feet. I'm sure it varies .

Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Default Big Canoe, GA?

What's the low-down on Big Canoe, GA?

He's working sometimes in Demorest and sometimes in Jasper which makes the end of Lake Lanier no longer convenient for both. He's probably going to stay in Smyrna indefinately at this point, especially with the HOT lane going in... However, having a place to bunk out there between the two so he doesn't have to drive back every day would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta