U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,531,350 times

Advertisements

There's a shift nation-wide of people moving back into cities, and the result is some suburbs actually becoming more run down than a lot of inner cities which are getting revitalized.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 PM

86 posts, read 290,590 times
The shift is evident everywhere. I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and they have torn down the projects and built very nice condo's to bring more upscale people into the city. Whereas the little Suburbia land that I live in now has subsidized housing projects appearing and more available homes for lower income families. I moved to Suburbia land for the school district and it has benefitted my children well. They learned more here than they ever did in the inner city. My daughter graduates this May and we are relocating to ATL in June. We both agreed NO MORE SUBURBIA!!! We are looking for inner city houses to rent in a safe neighborhood...but it's a little hard doing it over the internet. Anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for a simple 2-3BDRM house with a fenced yard in close proximity to DT. I have already applied for my RN license and uploaded my resume to Grady Hospital, Atlanta Medical Center, Piedmont Hospital, and Crawford Long Hospital. When we come to ATL to visit family we drive through the suburbs and there are quite a few that I have noticed that are lower income suburbs. I believe this is something that has been planned for many years in various cities and now has become more noticeable.
SYN RN

Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 5,328,111 times
What's your budget for a house? That will determine everything.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,531,350 times
I'd check out "Midtown West" (Marietta Blvd near Marietta Street in Bankhead) and also check out Bolton Rd near Marietta Rd, along with Collier Rd, and Deering Rd. I'd also check out Grant Park.

Hartford has also had a huge transformation. Inner-city Hartford is spread around 5 cities that are really more like one large city and three of them were depressed cities. The greenway around metro Hartford to prevent more suburban sprawl shot up land value in the inner cities and they are being rebuilt and fixed up. Almost every project in Hartford is gone now and replaced with single family homes.

Like locusts, people in suburbs had the unfortunate impact of "use/destroy an area, then move on". I'm glad things are starting to change.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 PM

86 posts, read 290,590 times
I must agree that the revitalization of the inner city is a plus in almost any city. The sad part is that it's only being done for money and appearances. They don't really care about the people. I must admit I'm glad they're making the changes also.

PS: We are looking to rent a home. I'm not buying anything soon. I can afford $1500 a month MAX.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Actually, if you're okay with not having granite, etc, then $1500 can actually get you something in many of Atlanta's neighborhoods, particulary in the 30307 zip code, and probably in City of Decatur (don't know the zips). These places have good schools. Before we bought our place in one of the neighborhoods that are in 30307 we rented a 2 bedroom for $1200/mo. And, the place we bought has a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment with about 1100 sqft and we rent it out for $1100/mo.

So, you should be able to find something...craigslist is the best resource for non-corporate renting...

Old 01-26-2008, 07:05 PM

722 posts, read 2,257,012 times
I was just in South Fulton today. It is quite an anomoly. You can drive down a road that is the epitome of ghetto, then turn onto another road and find several high priced subdivisions being built. Over all, the ghetto parts of south fulton are most of College Park and East Point inside the Perimeter, the eastern region bordering Clayton County and Highway 29. The upscale areas are Camp Creek Parkway and Cascade outside the perimeter and along south Fulton Parkway especially around highway 92 where Le Jardin and Hampton Oaks are, and the middle class area where you'll find lots of apartments and townhomes is anywhere along I-85 in Fairburn and Union City. Hopefully that clears up a lot of the questions and generalizations about South Fulton.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,599,199 times
Generally you can go by the "riff raff rule" which is a basic rule of neighbourhoods that go down hill. It is not in itself a racial thing either but has much more to do with the income and educational levels of the people and, the most important factor being the number of renters vs owner occupied homes in a given area. The riff raff rule is this: given all things equal (zoning and land use) the riff raff will creep at the rate of about 1/2 a mile per year. So if you buy a house that is 5 miles from a neighbourhood full of riff raff, you have about 10 years before they show up on your block.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Only if you're neighborhood is going down, though. If you have a gentrified neighborhood I don't think that rule applies. Gentrified areas usually don't decline again unless something catastrophic happens to the ecomony of the city.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
kwr

67 posts, read 221,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMelRN2007 View Post
The shift is evident everywhere. I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and they have torn down the projects and built very nice condo's to bring more upscale people into the city. Whereas the little Suburbia land that I live in now has subsidized housing projects appearing and more available homes for lower income families. I moved to Suburbia land for the school district and it has benefitted my children well. They learned more here than they ever did in the inner city. My daughter graduates this May and we are relocating to ATL in June. We both agreed NO MORE SUBURBIA!!! We are looking for inner city houses to rent in a safe neighborhood...but it's a little hard doing it over the internet. Anyone have any suggestions? We are looking for a simple 2-3BDRM house with a fenced yard in close proximity to DT. I have already applied for my RN license and uploaded my resume to Grady Hospital, Atlanta Medical Center, Piedmont Hospital, and Crawford Long Hospital. When we come to ATL to visit family we drive through the suburbs and there are quite a few that I have noticed that are lower income suburbs. I believe this is something that has been planned for many years in various cities and now has become more noticeable.
SYN RN
Cincinnati is my hometown. Which suburban area are you talking about that has gone down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta