U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 11:46 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,496,355 times

Advertisements

Smyrna is projected to pass Marietta in population by the 2020 census, and be approaching 60,000 people. I think that's actually an underestimate due to stadium influence that will start in 2017 and all the new townhomes and apartments going up.

When Smyrna becomes the largest city in Cobb County, I assume Marietta will still be the county seat. Other than getting the most of the SPLOST, are there any other benefits to Smyrna from becoming the largest city?

Will the census bureau call metro Atlanta the Atlanta-Smyrna-Sandy Springs MSA?

Also, with the redevelopment of some previously torn down public housing going on, do you think Marietta may make a comeback?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 773,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Smyrna is projected to pass Marietta in population by the 2020 census, and be approaching 60,000 people. I think that's actually an underestimate due to stadium influence that will start in 2017 and all the new townhomes and apartments going up.

When Smyrna becomes the largest city in Cobb County, I assume Marietta will still be the county seat. Other than getting the most of the SPLOST, are there any other benefits to Smyrna from becoming the largest city?

Will the census bureau call metro Atlanta the Atlanta-Smyrna-Sandy Springs MSA?

Also, with the redevelopment of some previously torn down public housing going on, do you think Marietta may make a comeback?
I've expected that Smyrna would pass Marietta for a while, especially since Smyrna has had a fairly active annexation push in the last 10 years or so.

I can't think of any real benefit to being the largest city, especially when by such a slim margin, other than bragging rights. Where I'm originally from, the county seat is less than half the size of the largest city (my hometown) yet still retains the county courthouse and whatnot.

The Atlanta metro area hasn't been called "Atlanta-Roswell-Marietta" for a while now. It's now "Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell," as those are the three largest cities, in that order.

Marietta is definitely making a comeback. The area around downtown is becoming increasingly dense and walkable and, as you noted, the redevelopment of land near the Square is contributing to that. I live in one of those new developments, and can tell you that almost every single new resident in our neighborhood came from outside the city limits - so Marietta is growing, too, especially near its core!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,594,372 times
Welcome to the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell-Johns Creek-Alpharetta-Marietta-Valdosta-Smyrna-Brookhaven-Dunwoody CSA, folks!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 848,459 times
Quote:

When Smyrna becomes the largest city in Cobb County, I assume Marietta will still be the county seat. Other than getting the most of the SPLOST, 1) are there any other benefits to Smyrna from becoming the largest city?

2) Will the census bureau call metro Atlanta the Atlanta-Smyrna-Sandy Springs MSA?

3) Also, with the redevelopment of some previously torn down public housing going on, do you think Marietta may make a comeback?
1) Aside from the local convention and visitors' bureau adding "county's largest city" to brochures, no. Brookhaven's the largest city in DeKalb County, but they haven't received any extra perks from that status.

2) First, the Census Bureau is not responsible for designating the names of metropolitan areas and CSAs; that's actually the responsibility of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. As to your question, unless Smyrna can pass Roswell in population to become the third largest city in the OMB-defined metro area, then no.

3) I think Marietta's already "making a comeback".

- skbl17

Old 07-12-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

Poor choice of words on my part: I meant comeback relative to Smyrna.

Yes, it's growing in population. In fact, all of Cobb County is growing faster than state averages.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM

559 posts, read 661,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

- skbl17

It is, and the Square area will always be strong. But Marietta in the high visibility areas between 41 and 75 needs to catch a break. From Delk to South Loop even to North Loop is not an attractive area. And that's being nice.

Arthur Blank selecting the Franklin road properties for his MLS training complex would/could be the huge break that area needs to spur major development. HD putting an IT facility on Franklin is nice, too, but that area needs something big to turn the tide.

I know this is heresy to all the amateur economists on this board, but if I were Mayor Tumlin, I would not let Dekalb make a better offer to get the United's training complex. Wouldn't give away the farm, but my gosh that area is desperate for a major development.

The fact that it wouldn't depend on the housing, retail, or office leasing markets is the cherry on top.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Arthur Blank selecting the Franklin road properties for his MLS training complex would/could be the huge break that area needs to spur major development. HD putting an IT facility on Franklin is nice, too, but that area needs something big to turn the tide.
Franklin Rd and that general area is zoned for midrise buildings of 10+ stories (can't remember the exact amount). It's time they encourage development of that type. I think Marietta should start to plan a spur of the future BRT down S. Marietta Pkwy into Franklin Rd. Even if it takes a while, investors would take note and start looking at the area more.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:18 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,977,342 times
It would be great if Smyrna could annex the holes inside city limits.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It would be great if Smyrna could annex the holes inside city limits.
They tried and lost a lawsuit over it back in the 90s. At least one lawyer in the Laurel Lake area didn't want higher taxes back then, and won on a technicality. Not only that, but the "unincorporated island" Smyrna created was eliminated by forcing Smyrna to de-annex a small strip of land across South Cobb Dr (which is so small it doesn't always even show up on maps).

More here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/35066293-post61.html

Quote:

Quote:
So, I know this thread is really old, but I learned something new, that I mentioned in another post but wanted to bring here. It may shed some light on the mystery. In the early 90s, this area was part of a "unincorporated island" including Laurel Lake that Smyrna tried to forcefully annex. It was contested in court based on technicalities of the process Smyrna followed, in that Smyrna had not properly annexed South Cobb Dr in 1985 and they were thus not valid "unincorporated islands", and Smyrna lost because the rule for annexing unincorporated islands requires that the island was created prior to the law passing that allowed annexation of unincorporated islands. I think that had soured the residents there to Smyrna for a while, because whether or not they wanted to be in Smyrna, no one likes being told what to do and that they have no choice but to pay higher taxes. At this point, only the 60% or 100% rule could be used to annex these islands. I imagine the land-owners there are content in the way things are, and are kind of buffeted from county issues by being completely surrounded by Smyrna. Unlike some areas South and West of Smyrna, I don't see it likely that they will want to be annexed, since it really means higher taxes with little benefit since roads in and out of their area are already maintained by Smyrna. Essentially, they are getting free road maintenance service. The only thing I could see getting them to annex would be if Cobb police or Cobb fire started being too slow to respond. As Smyrna expands, pushing the rest of Cobb further out, this may become more likely.

Available here:Growing Cities, Growing Georgia: A Guide to Georgia's Annexation Law

Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 PM

246 posts, read 224,977 times
Having lived in Smyrna before, I'm just wondering where they will fit all those people. It seemed really dense when I moved from there a few years ago, so they really have nowhere to build but up--unless they start bulldozing the portion past Windy Hill that borders Austell and throwing up more townhomes. The Vinings/Cobb Parkway corridor already seems packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or