Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times

Advertisements

It will obviously suck, because whatever, but the SunTrust Park complex is getting a concert venue.

Braves, Live Nation plan to open Roxy Theatre at SunTrust Park | www.ajc.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Nice.

Plant, Schuerholz, and Schiller had a plan to build an entertainment venue and they held true to their word. Should be a nice addition for the 284 days/year when there is NOT a Braves game at Suntrust.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Nice.

Plant, Schuerholz, and Schiller had a plan to build an entertainment venue and they held true to their word. Should be a nice addition for the 284 days/year when there is NOT a Braves game at Suntrust.
They're only planning to use it 40 days a year.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, I got that. I wasn't insinuating the Roxy is going to have concerts 284 days/year.

The challenge of the Braves mixed-use from the beginning was to create a 365 day/year destination that can support restaurants and retail when the Braves aren't playing. To do that around an 81 game/yr stadium, you have to surround that with year-round flow of people, i.e.

Comcast's SE headquarters w/ 1,000 employees to eat lunch and happy hour at the restaurants/micro-brewery
Residential apartments rented to millennials who may or may not work at Comcast
Residential condos sold to all ages
Hotel patrons from out of town who will stay, eat, drink, and play

And lastly, you'll need some local draw from people who just want a place to hang on Fri/Sat night. The Roxy is perfect for that.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think that was a (well-deserved) dig at those who claim that the ballpark is going to permanently screw up traffic in the area every single day of the year, whereas the truth is that there will certainly be some difficult, higher volume days, but the overwhelming majority of days in the year will not see any impact at all.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Yeah, I got that. I wasn't insinuating the Roxy is going to have concerts 284 days/year.

The challenge of the Braves mixed-use from the beginning was to create a 365 day/year destination that can support restaurants and retail when the Braves aren't playing. To do that around an 81 game/yr stadium, you have to surround that with year-round flow of people, i.e.

Comcast's SE headquarters w/ 1,000 employees to eat lunch and happy hour at the restaurants/micro-brewery
Residential apartments rented to millennials who may or may not work at Comcast
Residential condos sold to all ages
Hotel patrons from out of town who will stay, eat, drink, and play

And lastly, you'll need some local draw from people who just want a place to hang on Fri/Sat night. The Roxy is perfect for that.
Agree. This is shaping up to be a really nice development. I am not much of a concert goer, but I'm glad to see this type of amenity there as I'm sure it will be popular. Meanwhile, I plan to attend plenty of baseball games and visit the retail and restaurants pretty often as well.

Naysayers love to claim that sports stadiums often have a negative impact on the areas in which they're built, and there is some merit to that claim; however, when criticising this development in particular, I think they're a bit off the mark, because nothing like this has been attempted before: a 365 day mixed-use destination that does not depend on baseball being there on any given day for there to be things to do and see. Transit issues aside, THIS is how sports facilities should be designed.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:04 PM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
A lot of preemptive defensiveness going on in here...

I think it's great that they are incorporating this. Should be pretty unique at least to my knowledge for a baseball stadium.

Now, just work on incorporating grade separated rail transit that will easily connect to Marta, so that evil in-towners such as myself will want to go. Or don't. Whatever.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 PM

209 posts, read 276,469 times
Dammit, SunTrust Park, don't make me like you.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I think that was a (well-deserved) dig at those who claim that the ballpark is going to permanently screw up traffic in the area every single day of the year.
Nobody has made that claim that I'm aware of.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
A lot of preemptive defensiveness going on in here...

I think it's great that they are incorporating this. Should be pretty unique at least to my knowledge for a baseball stadium.

Now, just work on incorporating grade separated rail transit that will easily connect to Marta, so that evil in-towners such as myself will want to go. Or don't. Whatever.
Spot on post!

Lack of transit access (not just shuttle) is just about the only thing I don't like at this point. I'm really jealous they couldn't just do this somewhere in the city smh. Other than that, it's a slam dunk....err, home run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta