Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Riding it for a not-insignificant portion of the past several years. Prior to Mr. Parker, a disabled train or door fault slowing your commute was a case of "if" in any given week, now it's basically a case of "which two days?"

He doesn't need to go completely, maybe even keep the title GM if that makes everyone feel all warm inside, but someone else should be handling day-to-day operations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I'm not sure if this actually has to be pointed out, but one person's anecdotal account is not much of a rationale for changing who's CEO of MARTA.
I would also not be too surprised if there was a bad case of confirmation bias going on. You notice when things go wrong much more than when they go just as they are supposed to.

Besides, Parker is the General Manager / CEO. There is a separate office for the Chief Operating Officer. The person you seem to be after is Rich Krisak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I don't know, Keith Parker seems good at getting a system back where it needs to be, but doesn't seem to know how to keep it running. MARTA's reliability is drastically lower than under Beverly Scott and while I wouldn't necessarily prefer her back, we do need someone that can keep a good system afloat. Most people would strongly prefer a system on reliable 15 minute headways than a system that can't meet its scheduled 10 minute headways.
When there is a minor delay, it adds up quickly when there are 10 minute headways rather than 15 because there are 2 more trains per hour on the tracks. What MARTA and other transit agencies need to do is space out the trains behind the out of service train to prevent crush loads.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM

651 posts, read 1,559,480 times

i hope no one jumps on the track again this weekend

Old 07-24-2015, 07:50 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,127,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

i hope no one jumps on the track again this weekend
MARTA should really look at adding platform edge doors to their stations, like the ones in use at Hartsfield-Jackson.

- skbl17

Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,254,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
MARTA should really look at adding platform edge doors to their stations, like the ones in use at Hartsfield-Jackson.

- skbl17
Places like the airport have them because they're full of visitors who aren't used to riding. That's the reason most city transit systems in the US don't have them. I'm not sure we need platform edge doors in MARTA stations any more than we need them on city sidewalks.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Places like the airport have them because they're full of visitors who aren't used to riding. That's the reason most city transit systems in the US don't have them. I'm not sure we need platform edge doors in MARTA stations any more than we need them on city sidewalks.
the subway in japan has them, i believe. the main reason is that they're terribly expensive, and it takes more precision to get the doors on the train lined up with the doors on the platform— that might mean the trains themselves would have to be upgraded.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the subway in japan has them, i believe. the main reason is that they're terribly expensive, and it takes more precision to get the doors on the train lined up with the doors on the platform— that might mean the trains themselves would have to be upgraded.
They would since even when under computer control (you can usually feel the difference) the trains only stop to within 10 feet each time. I know because I position myself to within about 2 feet of the same place each time at my regular stations.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
Which one? There are tons of them that don't too. You're right about the upgrades, and I'm not sure it's enough of a problem to require such an upgrade. Maybe a MARTA cop should be present on each station platform instead? That would also be expensive, but it would at least offer other benefits than just keeping people off the tracks.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Which one? There are tons of them that don't too. You're right about the upgrades, and I'm not sure it's enough of a problem to require such an upgrade. Maybe a MARTA cop should be present on each station platform instead? That would also be expensive, but it would at least offer other benefits than just keeping people off the tracks.
i agree that it's not terribly important. the only true benefit you get is that the stations could be climate-controlled, so no more trying to get close to the fan in summer and a numb arse from the seats in the winter.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:51 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,254,485 times
Quote:
They're more popular in Asian cities because the transit systems are so popular, platform crowding is a serious concern. I would love it if we had that problem here, but it'll be a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta