Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Expanding New York Combined Statistical Area
OMB has a larger metropolitan concept called the "combined statistical area." The combined statistical area is composed of metropolitan and micropolitan areas that have a high degree of economic integration with the larger metropolitan area. Essentially, adjacent areas are merged into a combined statistical area if there is an employment interchange of 15 percent. This occurs where the sum of the following two factors is 15 percent or more: (1) The percentage of resident workers in the smaller area employed in the larger area (not just central counties) and (2) The percentage of workers employed in the smaller area who reside in the larger area.
Yeah, some Connecticut cities in New Haven County that are arguably Hartford suburbs have been merged into the New York CMSA, like Meriden which is closer to Hartford than New Haven. Maybe more people in Meriden commute to New Haven. When CT finishes the Metro North commuter rail extension to Hartford, I wonder if Hartford will get sucked into the New York CMSA. To make things more interesting, Boston's CMSA is knocking on the door on the other side of metro Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Yeah, some Connecticut cities in New Haven County that are arguably Hartford suburbs have been merged into the New York CMSA, like Meriden which is closer to Hartford than New Haven. Maybe more people in Meriden commute to New Haven. When CT finishes the Metro North commuter rail extension to Hartford, I wonder if Hartford will get sucked into the New York CMSA. To make things more interesting, Boston's CMSA is knocking on the door on the other side of metro Hartford.
Its hard to think of the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania being part of NY metro.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,357 times
And how old will you be in 2042 and in what ways will this news impact or enhance your life at that time? Millennials will clearly be in the throes of middle age and entering their golden years as will younger Gen Xers. The Boomers will be dead and dying. I dare say many of us will be more concerned about healthcare and keeping a roof over our heads than almost anything else.

Last edited by hautemomma; 07-20-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
And how old will you be in 2042 and in what ways will this news impact or enhance your life at that time? Millennials will clearly be in the throes of middle age as will younger Gen Xers. The Boomers will be dead and dying.
I expect more congestion (unless dramatic steps are taken regarding transit). Aside from numerical bragging rights, I don't see any possible way this will "enhance" my life....aside from the increase in walkable options and the growth of urban nodes in the suburbs, hopefully all connected by high-capacity transit.

- skbl17

Old 07-20-2015, 02:35 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
And how old will you be in 2042 and in what ways will this news impact or enhance your life at that time? Millennials will clearly be in the throes of middle age and entering their golden years as will younger Gen Xers. The Boomers will be dead and dying. I dare say many of us will be more concerned about healthcare and keeping a roof over our heads than almost anything else.

I'm younger Gen X.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I expect more congestion (unless dramatic steps are taken regarding transit). Aside from numerical bragging rights, I don't see any possible way this will "enhance" my life....aside from the increase in walkable options and the growth of urban nodes in the suburbs, hopefully all connected by high-capacity transit.

- skbl17
I don't think this will enhance my life either. It seems pretty evident that the growth in Metro ATL is going to continue, and nothing meaningful will be done soon enough to address the transit and transportation needs of the region. On the other hand, isn't Georgia supposed to be one of the top states for retirees? I'm not sure how many of those retirees move to Metro Atlanta vs. other parts of Georgia. I know that in Cobb County older residents (65+) get a huge break on their property taxes, which helps a lot when you're on a fixed income.

Better for me to consider how this news might affect my kids and any potential grandchildren rather than myself. By then, my offspring will be around the same age I am now!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,825 times
The Atlanta metro area by 2050.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta to be 6th largest metro by 2042-images.png  

Old 07-20-2015, 03:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
The Atlanta metro area by 2050.
lol

Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
Quote:
On the other hand, isn't Georgia supposed to be one of the top states for retirees? I'm not sure how many of those retirees move to Metro Atlanta vs. other parts of Georgia. I know that in Cobb County older residents (65+) get a huge break on their property taxes, which helps a lot when you're on a fixed income.
Empty nesters either tend to move to more urban or more rural areas, and downsize on home in either case. So, tend to be in condos, townhomes and what-not in major office districts (such as Cumberland area), historic Savannah, or in the N. GA Mountains, Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, beachfront.

My father lives in a condo in Smyrna within walking distance of the new Braves development, for instance.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:37 PM

124 posts, read 206,410 times
if atlanta is expected to grow this fast how long before it pushes southward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta