Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 AM

283 posts, read 360,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balawick View Post
Is this dump sacred to some faction of people? It seems to be the only place in town getting progressively worse.
wut? OK, so it's not Alpharetta, but it's far from a dump. If you want to see a dump, I can show you plenty of other areas in the city that may qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 AM

197 posts, read 184,043 times
Lol there is no way you have been living in Candler Park that long and don't understand L5P. It's a seminal aspect of Candler Park.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Brainwashed by living in the suburbs... Now that's an intelligent observation.
Well people who all they know is master planned communities where HOAs force people to keep everything homogeneous, manicured, and most stores are national chains would think a place like L5P is a dump because not all the store fronts are the same format or the plaza is not perfectly maintained, the sidewalks are uneven and there are not massive parking lots. There are parts of L5P that **** me off, like the lack of maintenance at the plaza.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Lol there is no way you have been living in Candler Park that long and don't understand L5P. It's a seminal aspect of Candler Park.
Its really more tied in to Inman Park to the west than Candler Park to the east.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Well people who all they know is master planned communities where HOAs force people to keep everything homogeneous, manicured, and most stores are national chains would think a place like L5P is a dump because not all the store fronts are the same format or the plaza is not perfectly maintained, the sidewalks are uneven and there are not massive parking lots. There are parts of L5P that **** me off, like the lack of maintenance at the plaza.
I don't think Buckhead is "master planned" either and it fits your description.

And basically you are saying L5P's first impression is that it is a dump. Compared to the commercial areas of Virginia Highlands of a similar age, it does look like a dump. And maybe that's part of its attraction.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Is it possible you actually mean 5 points? As in the marta station? Cuz that is pretty dumpy.

L5P is as close to what Greenwich Village in NYC used to be, but even then, walk up the road to Euclid and there are some big beautiful houses there. There are cool shops and restaurants. There are quite a few vagrants, but that can be attributed to the CSX railyard, and a lot of those folks are transient rail-riders that have kind of always gathered at L5P. Used to be (and may be again) a heroin scene that came along with the rail kids. but still all in all, L5P is still pretty decent despite the undesirables.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:45 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Little Five Points is Atlanta's second oldest business district after Five Points downtown. Like Five Points, it was formed as the result of the convergence of old Indian trails or farm to market roads (no grid system here). A native of Atlanta, I can honestly say that many people (including myself) find Little Five Points a lot less "edgy" than it used to be twenty plus years ago. (In some ways I feel that East Atlanta Village a little to the southeast "feels" a little more like Little Five Points in the early to mid nineties.) I will also say that I do not find Little Five Points all that "run-down". To me it simply has a "vintage" feel, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Like Tryska said, the OP may be talking about Five Points.

I have had experience with many people confusing 5P with L5P...often on this forum.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I can't see that it's getting worse. Far from it actually. Of course, I'm looking from the long term perspective of someone who has known it for 35 years. You should have seen LFP back in the late 70's if you think that it's a dump now! Trust me, you would not have liked Candler Park back then either.
I think that is sort of the issue--L5P's surrounding neigborhoods are now cross-shopped with some of the most affluent Intown neighborhoods (Mornigside, CoD, VaHi), but the business district makes an attempt to be similar to what it was in the 80s (maybe the 70s)--that's its niche, and it still works--but the image is just less and less of a reflection of who is buying homes there now.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think that is sort of the issue--L5P's surrounding neigborhoods are now cross-shopped with some of the most affluent Intown neighborhoods (Mornigside, CoD, VaHi), but the business district makes an attempt to be similar to what it was in the 80s (maybe the 70s)--that's its niche, and it still works--but the image is just less and less of a reflection of who is buying homes there now.
I am sure the L5P CID would welcome development on it's surface lots closer to DeKalb Ave and next to the PO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta