Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,217,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Don't forget Moods Music
How long has Moods been there? I didn't realize they had been around that long, but good for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:58 AM

23 posts, read 26,468 times
Just because an area doesn't have a shiny new mixed use eyesore doesn't mean it's in the dump. L5P is one of the remaining undeveloped (not overdeveloped) areas in the city. Hope it stays that way.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Don't forget Moods Music
And Sevenanda...even though it moved from it's original location on Euclid several years back.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,631,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
How long has Moods been there? I didn't realize they had been around that long, but good for them!
Baby not 20 years, but long enough. It is definitely the last of a dying breed, and a soul(ful) nirvana.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:19 PM

759 posts, read 1,348,485 times
Little 5 Points has been a little too deliberately artsy and hipster-esque for the past 30+ years. It was one of the last bastions of white, in-town boho/hippiedom left after midtown went pricey, yuppie and condofied in the eighties. However, expressions like "Krog Street Market", or "Cabbage Town Artist's Studio" (ideas that would have been totally laughable those 30 years ago) would not now exist had L5P not been there.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Little 5 Points has been a little too deliberately artsy and hipster-esque for the past 30+ years.
What would a hipster have looked like 30+ years ago?

I wasn't in L5P 30+ years ago, but I've been visiting the area since the late '80s. Back then, you'd see skinheads, punks with super tall mohawks, lots of skateboarders, bums, cross-dressers, new age-y types, etc. In the '90s, the Star Bar was the epicenter of a baffling zoot-suit swing dance craze. I guess that crowd would qualify as hipsters.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:30 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,910,133 times
But seriously though, Little 5 is perhaps the single greatest thing. A real deal non-fabricated counter culture mecca that is a collision point of Atlanta's underbelly. It has anything anyone could ever want: Good food, kitschy stores, punk rockers, hip hoppers, goths, greasers, pin up girls, hippies, philosophers, skateboarders, burn outs, friendly homeless, scary homeless, yuppies, buppies, wiccans, and (unfortunately) hipsters.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:26 PM

253 posts, read 301,453 times
I only go to L5P for Sevananda and Vortex, not my type of crowd lol.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,478,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balawick View Post
one place that we cannot understand who or what it stands for is Little 5 Points. I've heard that parking is the issue for its lack of progress. Is this true? Is this dump sacred to some faction of people?
I remember when I first moved here lil 5 points was on of the spots I wanted to check out. I actually get a chuckle when you call it a dump. Its seems like this wanna be artistic area, where bummy rappers or artist go to hang out. The worst part is the bums, you expect bums to be in Peachtree Center, but in Lil 5 Points sometimes you cant tell the difference between the bums and the regulars. Sevanada and Soul Sounds are main places I go when there. The Hookah store is cool too. I just think the place has lost its charm.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,478,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I agree with the OP - L5P is looking a bit worse for wear these days. Part of it is unfortunate store/restaurant turnover (did we really need a convenience store two blocks from the gas stations?). Part of it has something to do with train kids no longer just passing through but setting up a seemingly permanent encampment. Part of it is that it no longer feels like ground zero for the city's creative class. However, it probably has a lot more to do with the explosion of new retail areas you mentioned popping up competing for the same set of bohemain entrepreneurs.

I do have high hopes for the Palookaville Junior, though...
Nast I am now curious about these train people you speak of. L5P always seems like a place where you would meet fashionable, artistic people, but who were down to earth. Im not a fan of people walking up to me trying to sell me stuff. I want to search not be searched for. There is this one area of L5P that has a bunch of benches, the benches are always occupied by bummy looking people. Some or always selling stuff that Im not interested in or looking for. Im curious if these are the train people you are referring to? When you say train people, I think of a hobo with a harmonica from the 1890s 1900s....do people still stowaway on freight rail to go to ther cities? Surely Norfork Southern or CSX have more security than that...or maybe they dont....very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta