Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily76 View Post
I too want to move to metro Atlanta with no car, so I'm glad I came across this thread. I received some helpful info so far. I have a background in social services and have used just about every job board I can think of. Finding housing is not the issue, I need to have a secured job and I refuse to believe that I can't live a decent life in Atlanta without a car. I lived in NYC all of my life and I understand its an adjustment, but I need more advice on how to make the transistion. Thanks.
Pretty easy to understand. Visit MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Hours...Heavy rail runs from 4:45am to 1am. The buses run later.

Jobs....Most of the jobs here are in Downtown, Midtown, Perimeter, airport and Alpharetta (you can take MARTA bus there )

So this means if you live and work near MARTA you will have no problems right... generally speaking? I provided all the evidence that you need. Based on the info I gave what do you think?

Last edited by afdinatl; 07-20-2015 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyRedd View Post
To the people who've lived in Atlanta for a while:

1. Do you think it's possible to live in Atlanta without a car? If so, where are the best parts to live without a car?
2. Have any people been successful with getting to work on MARTA?
3. Ultimately, would you move to Atlanta without a car if you had a job in place?

Didn't read all the responses but I moved to Atlanta in 1997 as a student and didn't have a car for about 5 years there.

1. It is possible, but I wouldn't do it now that I know better
2. Yes, I took MARTA to school and work. If you don't have a family/kids then it is easier
3. No I wouldn't. Atlanta is a very car centric place. I would take MARTA to work if I didn't have family/kids every day but I would still have a car as weekend service is slower and the convenience IMO for just regular out and about things is just not there yet for MARTA

Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 13,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Most of Atlanta can and will feel like paradise and a breath of Fresh Air compaired to NewYork depending on what borough and what part of the City your moving from. You will be ok Transit wise as long as you stay in Fulton or Dekalb Counties near Marta stations or Bus lines. Upstate NY is simular to GA in someways, note i said some ways.

Thanks for your response...and I do understand your comparison to upstate, NY, but im actually from the Bronx, so its definitely a difference in Atlanta. I tried to learn to drive, but I feel that I should not feel pressured to drive in order to live comfortably in Atlanta. A car is more of a burden anyway. Not everyone can afford a car and what if your car breaks down? you're gonna have to go without that car, so I am not gonna allow anyone to discourage me from making this move.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Didn't read all the responses but I moved to Atlanta in 1997 as a student and didn't have a car for about 5 years there.

1. It is possible, but I wouldn't do it now that I know better
2. Yes, I took MARTA to school and work. If you don't have a family/kids then it is easier
3. No I wouldn't. Atlanta is a very car centric place. I would take MARTA to work if I didn't have family/kids every day but I would still have a car as weekend service is slower and the convenience IMO for just regular out and about things is just not there yet for MARTA
So if she lived in Lindbergh and worked in Midtown are you saying she needs a car?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Pretty easy to understand. Visit MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Hours...Heavy rail runs from 4:45am to 1am. The buses run later.

Jobs....Most of the jobs here are in Downtown, Midtown, Perimeter, airport and Alpharetta (you can take MARTA bus there )

So this means if you live and work near MARTA you will have no problems right... generally speaking? I provided all the evidence that you need. Based on the info I gave what do you think?

Thanks for the info, but I sense a bit of sarcasm, but that could be my perception.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response...and I do understand your comparison to upstate, NY, but im actually from the Bronx, so its definitely a difference in Atlanta. I tried to learn to drive, but I feel that I should not feel pressured to drive in order to live comfortably in Atlanta. A car is more of a burden anyway. Not everyone can afford a car and what if your car breaks down? you're gonna have to go without that car, so I am not gonna allow anyone to discourage me from making this move.
Kinda Figured that. I know tons of People, friends, and family that have moved from Boston, NY, Chicago, NJ etc. and just Choose not to drive or dont really need to in those areas. It's just their personal Choice not to drive or don't care to drive thats why i said Fulton and DeKalb areas would be perfert for you. You can find some nice properties, houses, condos etc. in tight nitched Transit Area's of the City and Inner Suburbs just fine.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I sense a bit of sarcasm, but that could be my perception.
No. People are making it seem harder than it really is. Its a easy question. The question was if one can live in Atlanta without a car. I gave my evidence. I provided a link to our transit system. The link also has all the stations, bus routes and operating hours. I also stated its best to live near a Marta Station or at least near a bus line to take you to a Marta Station. Then I said that most of the jobs here are near Marta so if you live near and work near Marta you shouldnt have any problems. That's all the info you really need. If you dont live near MARTA yes you need a car but if you do then the answer is no.
My advice is to live in the counties that have Marta and narrow your job search for jobs in those counties

Old 07-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Kinda Figured that. I know tons of People, friends, and family that have moved from Boston, NY, Chicago, NJ etc. and just Choose not to drive or dont really need to in those areas. It's just their personal Choice not to drive or don't care to drive thats why i said Fulton and DeKalb areas would be perfert for you. You can find some nice properties, houses, condos etc. in tight nitched Transit Area's of the City and Inner Suburbs just fine.

Right, as I said, I don't think finding an apartment is not the issue, it's finding gainful employment. I have been searching in those counties.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
No. People are making it seem harder than it really is. Its a easy question. The question was if one can live in Atlanta without a car. I gave my evidence. I provided a link to our transit system. The link also has all the stations, bus routes and operating hours. I also stated its best to live near a Marta Station or at least near a bus line to take you to a Marta Station. Then I said that most of the jobs here are near Marta so if you live near and work near Marta you shouldnt have any problems. That's all the info you really need. If you dont live near MARTA yes you need a car but if you do then the answer is no.
My advice is to live in the counties that have Marta and narrow your job search for jobs in those counties

Ok, I get that, but I like most were just seeking more clarity on certain things, that's all. There was no need to be condescending at all.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:35 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA 12- every 30 minutes
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
MARTA 185- every 27 minutes
MARAT 143
MARTA 140
As for the interview, there is always options like Zipcar and Uber.
Well, I am just speaking from practical experience, cq.

Back when I wasn't driving I had to go see a fellow near North Point mall one day and it took me a good hour and a half to get there. Then I had to walk a mile in the boiling sun. On the way back I just missed the southbound bus and they only run on 45 minute schedules if I am not mistaken.

(I was the only person at the bus stop and I think he would gone on by if I hadn't started whooping and hollering).

The net effect is you wind up spending the better part of a day getting to one meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta