Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times

Advertisements

The main reason the handful of intowners are on here touting the public schools is because there is a great misperception that there are NO good public schools here.

You see it all the time "I moved out the burbs because of the schools."

Or "Only young singles and empty nesters live in the city because it's not family oriented."

And us intowners keep throwing our hands up and saying, "Now wait a minute! What about THIS WHOLE SECTION OF TOWN?"

That's all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,615 times
I am not arguing with you. We will be in-towners soon and cannot wait to get out of the suburbs! We also have kids so I completely understand where the OP is coming from. Agreed: good public schools = higher property values.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
I just wanted to clear the air. While I am a public school advocate I do understand there are people who go private no matter what.

I went to Catholic school. Nuff said!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,615 times
A couple of links, but not the one I really wanted:
Mikel Muffley | Neighborhoods
Atlanta Real Estate, Atlanta homes for sale, Georgia real estate

Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

30 posts, read 129,727 times
Default Thank you all

I am so relieved!!! My sister lives up there and said we have to live in the suburbs for good schools and environment to raise our children. The thought of that commute makes me crazy.
What about any of the condos in Midtown? The very urban ones?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
There's a huge glut of Midtown condos available but you'll pay dearly for any amount of space and most units are 1 or 2 bedrooms (of course there are some larger units available).

Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Condos

I did notice that a little. My husband is from Chicago and really likes the Urban living so I thought I would ask.....
I also have heard that Buckhead is a little snotty. We live in such and area now in Florida and I kind of want to stay away from that. Don't get me wrong, we are very interested in keeping our family in a middle to upper-middle class neighborhood, but without the pretense. True or not?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
I lived in midtown for 2 years with young children and I have to say that, despite the large numbers of families and active parents' associations, I did not feel safe. The area around Piedmont Park is nice but there is a lot of street crime, burglaries, hold-ups, prostitutes and other activity. I would recommend the other neighborhoods previously mentioned, including Virginia Highand, Inman Park and Morningside as my top choices. There's a noticeable difference in the 'feel' re safety even just going one mile out of midtown. Unfortunately, I think the proximity to Ponce De Leon and Boulevard make midtown a prime target for criminal activity within walking distance. Not sure if Midtown Blue (local security force) makes much of an impact. Again, just my personal opinion...having lived in NYC for more than 12 years, I was very pro-city but midtown Atlanta just didn't work for us.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Default What about Kirkwood?

And thanks for the crime info ------very important

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I lived in midtown for 2 years with young children and I have to say that, despite the large numbers of families and active parents' associations, I did not feel safe. The area around Piedmont Park is nice but there is a lot of street crime, burglaries, hold-ups, prostitutes and other activity. I would recommend the other neighborhoods previously mentioned, including Virginia Highand, Inman Park and Morningside as my top choices. There's a noticeable difference in the 'feel' re safety even just going one mile out of midtown. Unfortunately, I think the proximity to Ponce De Leon and Boulevard make midtown a prime target for criminal activity within walking distance. Not sure if Midtown Blue (local security force) makes much of an impact. Again, just my personal opinion...having lived in NYC for more than 12 years, I was very pro-city but midtown Atlanta just didn't work for us.
and just out of curiousity --------did u move out of the city all together after your midtown experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta