Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,330 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Alpharetta area. We are not from the area, so I am looking for honest and helpful input from people who live in the area.

While we would love to be close to Alpharetta (where my husband would commute to), we are considering the surrounding towns, like Cumming, Buford, Duluth and Lawrenceville and even the Canton/Holly Springs area.

There seems to be a trend of A LOT of really affordable and nice houses in Lawrenceville, which is very tempting. I can't help to think that there is a good reason why the area is so cheap/so many people are selling their houses. A lot of these houses are located in the Collins school district which I thought is a good cluster to be in?

We have a daughter and are planning on more kids in the future and we are looking to make a good decision for our family.

Can anyone help? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,410 times
Location, commute and proximity to jobs.

Commuting from Lawrenceville to Alpharetta would be a nightmare. Google maps says 23 miles and 37 minutes but I can't imagine that is correct. I drove one Sunday afternoon from Alpharetta to Lawrenceville and it was no less than 45 minutes and basically no one on the road - tons of traffic lights.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM

27 posts, read 36,244 times
I make the commute from Grayson/Lawrenceville to Roswell every day. In the summer, it is right at 50 mins in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon. It gets worse after the summer ends. I would think from the Collins Hill area it would be about 10-25% shorter. I used to work in Alpharetta (east of 400) and my commute as 15 mins better than Roswell.

My opinion on the lower than normal ATL suburb housing prices is the changing demographics of the Lawrenceville area. I just dont see many young white families desiring to move to the area (except for Brookwood school district, but even, then not a huge influx). In fact, most that I know are moving away (either to Forsyth or up to the Braselton area), waiting for prices to increase enough to move away, or they are from that area originally and dont want to move. I know it isnt PC these days to talk like this, but my experience is that where that demographic wants to be is where housing demand (aka prices) rise the fastest.

I want to move also to be closer to work, but due to the recession, my neighborhood demographic has completely changed and therefore, killed the home prices (below what the home originally sold for in the late 90's). The only shining light for our area is the Snellville Scenic Hwy retail corridor. I think you would be hard pressed to find so many retail options in such a central and easily accessible locale in metro Atlanta. With the retail development continuing non-stop, I have to believe that this will help balance out the demographic changes in the area.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,330 times
Thank you for your feedback. That's too bad. Some of the area looks really nice. We like the big, charming brick houses there. I heard really bad things about parts of Lawrenceville regarding crime and traffic, but I wanted to check here before making a decision.

Is there a specific area that you would recommend instead? We are a young family, in our 30's, our daughter is 2 years old. We are looking for a single family home, with at least 3 bedrooms and a nice yard with a 275k budget.

I appreciate your help.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,782,307 times
Even though Canton/Holly Springs area looks far away, it is a pretty easy commute to Alpharetta, especially if you find something close to GA 140. A good bang for the buck out there.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,108,079 times
Agree with Saintmarks. At a budget of 275k and commuting to Alpharetta, Canton/Holly Springs is a good fit. Also consider Cumming.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,882,500 times
Crossing the Chattahoochee is such a hassle. Limited road options plus crossing the busy roads of Peachtree Industrial and Peachtree Pkwy.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,394,053 times
You want to live West of I-85. Drop Lawrenceville from your list.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 AM

27 posts, read 36,244 times
The traffic on the weekends is one of the reasons I like living in the Lawrenceville area. I lived in Alpharetta in the mid-2000's and I hated the weekend afternoon traffic. It rivals rush hour traffic. More than once I was flipped off by a soccer mom in a mini-van. Around here, you can get around pretty easily on weekends which is nice when you commute 2.5 hours a day during the week.

Regarding the crime, yes there are pockets of areas that have some crime in them, but others are pretty crime free. There are some older neighborhoods with small houses that have drawn in a lesser desired demographic that brings along with it certain types of crime. However, there are some fabulous neighborhoods that make you feel like you are living in the middle of Alpharetta over here. You really have to do your homework on the area in Lawrenceville.

The real problem with Gwinnett county is that the county isnt doing enough to create an environment where Class A business building developers want to build in the county. With ever rising traffic and gas prices, people are much more commute time sensitive than they used to be. This increase in commute times is making many white collar professionals take most of Gwinnett county off their target list for home purchasing. Overall, Gwinnett county is one of the best managed counties in the Southeast, but this is one glaring hole in their strategy. In the face of changing needs of the populace, Gwinnett cannot continue to prosper as a residential county only.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,298,738 times
For areas with a Lawrenceville address, the best areas to look are:

The Brookwood High Cluster
The Mountain View High Cluster
The Collins Hill High Cluster
The Peachtree Ridge High Cluster
The Grayson High Cluster
The Archer High Cluster

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

GCPS Cluster Boundaries | GCPS

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta