Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Be fair. AP has a perspective from both sides of the perimeter, which I appreciate.
Yep, me, too.

Ansley has always been one of the most thoughtful observers of our situation here in the ATL. He has seen it (and lived it) from both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What is that I look at every day??? I live in a nice suburban neighborhood outside of John's Creek. Sleep as late as I want to and do what I want to. I sold my business and retired at 51. I look at my beautiful wife, children and dogs each day. You deal with your life and I will deal with mine.
I'm talking about your suburban landscape up there. Everything new and shiny and little character. Nothing wrong with it, but not my style.

Quote:
Having lived in Ansley Park for most of my adult life, I can tell you that no one there would consider this building as having character.
One of the more ignorant statements I've read on this board.

Anyone saying that this isn't a complete shame, I question their Atlantan-ness. SOB is an Atlanta staple. To brush it off as a place that needs change or won't be missed is unbelievable.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I'm talking about your suburban landscape up there. Everything new and shiny and little character. Nothing wrong with it, but not my style.

One of the more ignorant statements I've read on this board.

Anyone saying that this isn't a complete shame, I question their Atlantan-ness. SOB is an Atlanta staple. To brush it off as a place that needs change or won't be missed is unbelievable.
I think you should stick with golf.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Smith's Olde Bar may be staying at it's location.
Future Looks Bright for Smith's Olde Bar After All - Local Institutions - Curbed Atlanta
Quote:
This summer, it was announced that the Morningside Strip Center, a retail mainstay at Piedmont Road and Monroe Drive for more than 90 years, was hitting the market. The possible sale riled music lovers across the city, as within the strip center is Smith's Olde Bar. While the owner of Smith's has vowed to stay open come what may, it will be up to the strip center's new owner, Selig Enterprises, to decide the bar's ultimate fate. Granted, a similar sale actually brought good things to another storied Atlanta bar. And Selig sounds pretty adamant about keeping Smith's in place, as they recognize its status as a local "institution."

Manuel's Tavern in Poncey-Highland sold last year — along with a ton of parking — to allow for mixed-use development. While many expected the sale to result in lovers of the bar weeping into their beers, it turns out the new buyer is going to spruce the place up. But not before students meticulously document the interior of the space so it can be digitally archived and reassembled as-good-as-old when it reopens. The community has even rallied, setting up a GoFundMe page to raise money for employees who will be out of work while the renovations are completed.

Meanwhile, in Morningside, Jo Ann Chitty, Senior VP of Selig Enterprises, told 11Alive the company is working closely with Smith's ownership to keep the music alive at its current location. More details should emerge next week.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Whatever.
Whatever, indeed. I think it's great that you were open to making such a change. Any you're not alone; l know plenty of people that made the leap from ITP to OTP over the last couple of decades and are perfectly content with the choice.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Whatever, indeed. I think it's great that you were open to making such a change. Any you're not alone; l know plenty of people that made the leap from ITP to OTP over the last couple of decades and are perfectly content with the choice.
Agreed. We've seen folks moving both ways and they are all fine with their decisions.

The whole "ITP/OTP" debate is the height of bogosity. Who started that ridiculous nonsense?

Old 12-10-2015, 04:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Agreed. We've seen folks moving both ways and they are all fine with their decisions.

The whole "ITP/OTP" debate is the height of bogosity. Who started that ridiculous nonsense?

I've lived both and enjoyed both, although ITP I've felt much more comfortable and closer to the things I want to experience. The traffic was definitely worse OTP, but other than that it did have some advantages.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've lived both and enjoyed both, although ITP I've felt much more comfortable and closer to the things I want to experience. The traffic was definitely worse OTP, but other than that it did have some advantages.
I find the local traffic better out here. Nothing like the clogged roads of the city during commuting hours or even on weekends. Going into the city is a whole different ballgame and primarily a result of city and not suburban traffic - but I fortunately rarely have to deal with that.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Well, one thing I have gotten out of this thread is that I'd like to give the place a visit before it's demolished.

When something is gone, it's gone like a death. You can replace it with something all shiny and new, but the opportunity to ever see the old again is gone forever. I guess I'll give it a try before it's too late.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
I find the local traffic better out here. Nothing like the clogged roads of the city during commuting hours or even on weekends. Going into the city is a whole different ballgame and primarily a result of city and not suburban traffic - but I fortunately rarely have to deal with that.
If you live in Alpharetta or Johns Creek and have to commute to one of the five large job centers, good luck. GA 400, I-85 in Gwinnett, I-285 through Dunwoody and I-75 in Cobb easily have the worst bottlenecks. Downtown Connector is also pretty bad as well. Outside of that though, it mainly comes down to traffic accident. The southern suburbs just don't have the bad traffic like the northern suburbs do, partly because of no major employment centers other than the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta