U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:07 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
so I guess this means the end of the MMT atlanta wanted to build downtown.
No. It was never seriously planned to go to the MMPT in the first place. The MMPT is still *barely* on track as it was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 11:47 AM

5,554 posts, read 3,043,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm sorry, but you must be delusional if you think they'll ever allow the beltline to carry heavy rail ever again. it's not going to happen. it's a political impossibility. we need to start thinking up other ways we can connect amtrak's line to downtown, because that stretch is just out of the equation at this point.

i am honestly surprised no one has suggested this:

it would cost a fraction of both the political and financial capital that it would take to relay heavy freight rail along the beltline, and would only require a new rail connection at armour. certainly not a cheap proposal, but if amtrak wants to keep its rail service exactly the same and not reroute, this could be a solution.
While that's an option, it would require building THROUGH some very high-density apartments, which should be avoided.

I believe that GDOT, Amtrak, and the Atlanta Beltline Inc. worked all of this out in 2009, allowing the trackage MattCW's talking about to be abandoned in favor of a route into the MMPT downtown.

Track Twenty Nine: Amtrak & GDOT Back Down: Beltline Safe

Quote:
I'm pleased to report that GDOT and Amtrak have withdrawn their objections to the abandonment of the Decatur Belt. This means that one huge obstacle to Atlanta's Beltline, a promising loop of Transit, Parks, and Redevelopment has been removed. It does nothing to ensure that the project will be built, but the recent quarrel threatened to put a stop to the line's northeast quadrant.

As I reported a few days ago in a three part series, Amtrak had plenty of alternatives to the Decatur Belt. I also pointed out the ridiculousness of an argument pitting intercity rail against inner city transit. The Beltline will compliment any Amtrak service to Atlanta not only by increasing mobility and accessibility but also by making the city more urban and rail friendly.

The Atlanta Journal reported on Friday that the parties had come to an agreement. While the specifics are still being worked out, it seems that Amtrak trains will be routed along the trunk lines west of Marietta Street.

Quote:
so I guess this means the end of the MMT atlanta wanted to build downtown. The Amtrak Station is kind of useless in my opinion if there is rail fr Chicago to Miami going through Atlanta would be dope. Right now the only good stops are Philly, New York & New Orleans.
Not really, the MMPT is a combination of a massive Bus Terminal, Streetcar Crossing, and Rail Hub. Two of those we can do, and still need, especially the Bus Terminal for MARTA, GCT, CCT, GRTA, MegaBus, Greyhound, etc. to help alleviate traffic downtown. It would also help as the I-20 BRT gets built.

Heck, the MMPT wasn't ever really promised Amtrak service for this whole reason. There are a few extra routes proposed to flow through Atlanta, it's just that Amtrak has never seriously considered running them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
No. It was never seriously planned to go to the MMPT in the first place. The MMPT is still *barely* on track as it was before.
Sadly the MMPT is outright stalled. It was SUPPOSED to begin construction this year, and be done by 2017. We see how well that's going huh? A lack of dedicated funds and a lack of political push from the state's been keeping it from getting along further, just like Commuter Rail.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Corridor Capitol: Amtrak in talks for new Atlanta station at GM plant site

Quote:
Amtrak’s current Atlanta station is a small, former Southern Railway suburban passenger station in the Brookwood area on Peachtree Street. All of the original pre-Amtrak downtown Atlanta stations and terminals have been gone for decades.
Amtrak has entered discussions with state transit officials and a major railroad to put a new station on the former site of the Doraville General Motors Co. plant.

MARTA and Norfolk Southern Corp. have held conversations with Amtrak this year about that possibility, people familiar with the talks said.

The discussions come two years after efforts fell through to relocate Atlanta’s historic Amtrak station at Brookwood on Peachtree Street.

The former GM site, at the convergence of Interstate 285, Buford Highway and Peachtree Industrial, is an intriguing option for a multi-modal project involving Amtrak because of its central location that could link the region’s suburbs to its urban core.

Few sites have more transportation access for the region’s auto or train commuters.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:59 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,832,777 times
Quote:
umm what?? Amtrak rail was supposed to go to the MMPT. Just like Greyhound, Megabus, i really dont care either way. I use Hartsfield to travel. Doesnt matter where they put Amtrak, its not going to get used more.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Quote:
umm what?? Amtrak rail was supposed to go to the MMPT. Just like Greyhound, Megabus, i really dont care either way. I use Hartsfield to travel. Doesnt matter where they put Amtrak, its not going to get used more.

What a self-centered, clueless point of view.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,955 times
Quote:
No. No it wasn't. It's not in their plans. Not using the current route, at least. I'm not sure if it was ever seriously considered, but after the BeltLine came along it was deemed too much to reconfigure the tracks or find another route to get Amtrak to it. This is why people started talking about just putting a new Amtrak station at the corner of 17th and Northside. Did you read fourthwarden's and Matt's posts above? That's pretty much what they're talking about.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No. No it wasn't. It's not in their plans. Not using the current route, at least. I'm not sure if it was ever seriously considered, but after the BeltLine came along it was deemed too much to reconfigure the tracks or find another route to get Amtrak to it. This is why people started talking about just putting a new Amtrak station at the corner of 17th and Northside. Did you read fourthwarden's and Matt's posts above? That's pretty much what they're talking about.
Amtrak using the MMPT was one of those 'It sure would be nice if...' things. There was a compromise between Atlanta Beltline, GDOT, and Amtrak where, if the MMPT became available, Amtrak would try to make it work, but it would require a bit of track work to turn the trains back around in the Gulch. Not impossible at all, just something that would need to be in place.

The MMPT is, and was, primarily for city/ewgion use. Massive bus bays for all the various transit agencies and private companies, connections to MARTA heavy rail, platforms for GDOT/GRTA/MARTA commuter trains (whoever comes first), possible platforms for high-speed rail, streetcar stops, large outdoor parks, and large indoor mall space for resturaunts and retailers.

Amtrak was invited to use the facilities if they wanted, with the possibility of even adding two more long-distance trains through the city.

As for Amtrak not getting used more, that's really not true. Ridership is at an all time high on the trains, the Crescent is routinely packed, and having local infrastructure to extend the usefulness of a train station will only have it make more sense as a mode. That's one of the main issues with our national rail infrastructure, is that decent local transit needs to be in place to feed to and absorb from the train stations.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:12 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,498,879 times
This is stupid. The Atlantic Station location next to Ikea and MMPT in the gulch is all we need.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
This is stupid. The Atlantic Station location next to Ikea and MMPT in the gulch is all we need.
The one that's even more isolated from regional transit? It was dropped by Amtrak as an option, and Fuqua is most likely gonna grab it up.

Curbed

Fuqua Fact Sheet

Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM

1,057 posts, read 848,978 times
My question is, when is the MMPT actually going to be funded and constructed? It's like Schroedinger's Station, both dead and alive.

I don't want to put too much faith in the MMPT actually being realized unless I was sure that it would be realized.

- skbl17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or