U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 08:09 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,989,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nope. Parking is so overbuilt we offer almost all of it for free yet it still sits empty almost all the time. Not sure how you could any stronger indicator of over supply.
Free parking? Care to tell me where I can find it or how to build it? I just can't get any paving companies to work for free.

If your market would dictate lower parking amounts, then why is there only that one Fuqua development that tried to have less than the legalized parking minimums?
Quote:
Nope they aren't. Even though most of them are free they still sit empty most of the time. Luckily MARTA leadership is smart and is replacing the parking lots with transit oriented developments which will boost ridership.

Before:

After:
Right, they're not full, that's why I can't ever find a space at North Springs because there are plenty of spaces for...wait...what??

The TODs will still have parking decks for MARTA customers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:35 PM

10,462 posts, read 7,443,750 times
Matt -

Cost is not price.

If you think the one example I gave of parking minimums in a separate, unrealated thread weeks ago is the only time parking minimums have been needed then why bother arguing to keep them around.

There is no point with you.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Matt -

Cost is not price.
Then what do you define as cost, and this time, please don't move the goalposts.
Quote:
If you think the one example I gave of parking minimums in a separate, unrealated thread weeks ago is the only time parking minimums have been needed then why bother arguing to keep them around.

There is no point with you.
Because that's not what we're arguing now, we're arguing parking or not and since the free market has no interest in reducing parking minimums, the market obviously wants more parking, not less of it.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't put it past you to simply bulldoze every parking space inside I-285 and simply shrug and tell people "live with it."
Yeah, because that's exactly what the people you're talking to have been saying.

It's weird that conversations like this are always so lopsided. One side says "we should consider the ways in which abundant free parking hurts our city" and the other side says "YOU ARE TRYING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING."

Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 AM

4,358 posts, read 3,514,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Yeah, because that's exactly what the people you're talking to have been saying.

It's weird that conversations like this are always so lopsided. One side says "we should consider the ways in which abundant free parking hurts our city" and the other side says "YOU ARE TRYING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING."
Switch it to building one road, adding one lane or a new exit and it's the same thing.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:37 AM
bu2

9,863 posts, read 6,343,835 times
Quote:
Free parking? Care to tell me where I can find it or how to build it? I just can't get any paving companies to work for free.

If your market would dictate lower parking amounts, then why is there only that one Fuqua development that tried to have less than the legalized parking minimums?

Right, they're not full, that's why I can't ever find a space at North Springs because there are plenty of spaces for...wait...what??

The TODs will still have parking decks for MARTA customers.
College Park was full a few weeks ago when I went there. I drove through about 3 different lots there. I parked at East Point and there were less than a dozen slots left, most of them for compact cars.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:25 AM

23,190 posts, read 17,391,194 times
Quote:
Pretty sure he means your and others' desire to destroy Atlanta by putting the cart way in front of the horse. Frankly, I wouldn't put it past you to simply bulldoze every parking space inside I-285 and simply shrug and tell people "live with it."

You can't exactly have a successful rail line if people can't get to it now can you?

Parking is just small fish. Let's put user-fees on the courts, police, and fire services first to help bring our budget back up!
Remove all car parking and replace with bike parking, issues solved.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:36 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,796,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think this site would make since considering the plans to redevelop the area, plus the possible expansion of MARTA to Gwinnett in the future.
Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site - Atlanta Business Chronicle
I wouldnt mind Marta and Amtrak being in the same building, this is the closest thing Atlanta would get to that idea.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:58 PM

6,301 posts, read 3,366,894 times
I'm fine with this, as long as there is also at least one major station in Atlanta proper. Doraville is not Atlanta.

One located here and one at the Gulch site would be enough to cover the metro. You could also do a stop in Duluth as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm fine with this, as long as there is also at least one major station in Atlanta proper. Doraville is not Atlanta.

One located here and one at the Gulch site would be enough to cover the metro. You could also do a stop in Duluth as well.
Once we get commuter rail along the route of the Crescent, then stations at either end (with timed connections) would also more than suffice without hampering efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or