U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:20 PM

23,465 posts, read 17,616,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, I'm 100% for a Doraville Amtrak station, with park & ride and serving the 285 corridor and the suburbs.

But I am 100% against that being the only "Atlanta" Amtrak station. That's kind of ridiculous, even with MARTA. Downtown needs an Amtrak station, or Atlanta can't call it self a major city, much less the freakin' hub of the southeast.

CofA needs AT LEAST 1 Amtrak station. If not one at Five Points and 1 also at Lenox, halfway between downtown and Doraville, and also nicely connected to MARTA.
What about Lindbergh Center?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,052,340 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm 100% for a Doraville Amtrak station, with park & ride and serving the 285 corridor and the suburbs.

But I am 100% against that being the only "Atlanta" Amtrak station. That's kind of ridiculous, even with MARTA. Downtown needs an Amtrak station, or Atlanta can't call it self a major city, much less the freakin' hub of the southeast.

CofA needs AT LEAST 1 Amtrak station. If not one at Five Points and 1 also at Lenox, halfway between downtown and Doraville, and also nicely connected to MARTA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
So two stops with in a few miles... Yea, AmTrak is going to do that. (AmTrak Does about 150 passenger on each of the two trains per day, We are not talking alot of people moving thru AmTrak)

I'm Surprised they still do the Flag Stop in Gainesville for 6500/year.
Flyonpa isn't wrong. I say let Commuter Rail deal with the multiple ITP stations. Amtrak serving Doraville, then the MMPT, then maybe one more station on the perimeter is more than enough for the city. The metro can buy in as they wish. Commuter Rail could make use of many stations ITP and OTP to serve the area MARTA HRT can't reach.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM

29,421 posts, read 26,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am okay with Doraville and/or Linbergh.

What I don't get is why everybody else on the planet seems to put tracks wherever they want but we can't.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:24 PM

6,362 posts, read 3,438,353 times
I agree that 3 stations at 5pts MMPT, Lindbergh or Lenox, and Doraville, would be overkill and not be necessary.

Lindbergh would work as Atlanta's station from a logistical standpoint, or also Armour, if they put an infill Red/Gold stop there. But my preference is still for a Grand Central station adjacent to/connected to Five Points MARTA, which is the hub station for all lines, and the historic center of the city, and the historic train station area of town. But that seems unlikely unless they get funding and political will for it.

If an Amtrak line went to Macon (in the future), the third metro Atlanta stop could be at Mountain View/Airport International Terminal, which is planned to be a commuter rail stop anyway, and would nicely serve the south side, being near highways.

For the current line that goes to Birmingham, you could do a metropolitan stop in south Cobb.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,041,581 times
Quote:
I was thinking Duluth because it has that Southeastern Railway Museum. Kind of an historic rail hub too, for the old line that used to go between there and Duluth, MN, which it was named after. Would be really cool to have it be a MARTA commuter rail and Amtrak station in one, right in the downtown.
Having a rail museum is hardly reason to locate an Amtrak station there. The one exception might be the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL, but that place is HUGE and would likely serve Union more than it serves the museum itself. But There was never any rail line directly between Duluth, GA and Duluth, MN. Except for the odd shortline and industrial spurs, Duluth wasn't the rail hub of anything, certainly not any mainlines.
Quote:
Also because it's about halfway between Downtown Atlanta and Gainesville. And the Doraville stop would be about halfway between Downtown and Duluth. So that would be kinda perfect. Then you could do another stop in Mableton or somewhere. *SNIP*
That is way too many stops way too close together. Even the very busy northeast corridor doesn't have that many stops that close together for Amtrak, and in the few cases they do (Washington-New Carrolton-BWI come to mine) not every train stops at every station. Hard to do with only one train each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Without question. Any proposal to use the Eastside Beltline for any sort of heavy rail will be DOA. *SNIP*
If that's what helps you sleep at night, then you keep telling yourself that. The Federal Government isn't going to let a few yuppies get in the way of a major interstate commerce link (the Constitution kinda says that it's their job) like the NE Beltline when it comes time for regional connectivity like SEHSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
I don't understand why they couldn't serve both Doarville and the MMPT. There are tons of cities where Amtrak station are nothing but 10-20 miles apart, the same could be easily done here.
The ridership and frequency of the Crescent hardly justify a lot of extra stations scattered around Atlanta. Each station stop adds easily 5-10 minutes to the schedule and shuts down traffic on the host road.
Quote:
There are also tons of stations where trains currently have to back out too and I know Amtrak didn't want to do that but I don't see them passing up an opportunity like the MMPT and serving the actual City of Atlanta.
But none are new. They are all existing operational arrangements. Even though Denver's Union Station is "new" it was built on the site of the old one so essentially nothing changed for Amtrak. Backing a train is far more involved than backing a car, you can't just pop it in reverse and gun it. At minimum there has to be a crew member stationed on the rear with a backup hose (provides a whistle and emergency brake) and the move can only be made at restricted speed (less than 15mph).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Exactly how would you shoehorn a station in there? NS has made it very clear that any new stations must have tracks off the mainline, and that's before you build any kind of passenger facilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Flyonpa isn't wrong. I say let Commuter Rail deal with the multiple ITP stations. Amtrak serving Doraville, then the MMPT, then maybe one more station on the perimeter is more than enough for the city. The metro can buy in as they wish. Commuter Rail could make use of many stations ITP and OTP to serve the area MARTA HRT can't reach.
Ideally, the outermost commuter rail stations would be Amtrak stations. So in a hypothetical system I designed for Atlanta, the commuter rail goes to Gainesville and Villa Rica (and other lines) with Amtrak stopping only at those and downtown. Commuter trains would be timed to transfer to and from Amtrak in both directions.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:58 PM

5,254 posts, read 4,298,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with Doraville and/or Linbergh.

What I don't get is why everybody else on the planet seems to put tracks wherever they want but we can't.
I think I agree, but just to clarify, what do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If that's what helps you sleep at night, then you keep telling yourself that. The Federal Government isn't going to let a few yuppies get in the way of a major interstate commerce link (the Constitution kinda says that it's their job) like the NE Beltline when it comes time for regional connectivity like SEHSR.
Um, no. Locals would go out of their way to not let this happen. Besides, it would ruin everything that the Beltline stands for.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,526,839 times
I've been under the impression for years now that the NE portion of the BeltLine was a done deal for any sort of Amtrak/Commuter rail? I remember a huge negotiation among all parties, along with the City/BeltLine buying out Wayne Mason.

The segment from 10th to Armour/Lindbergh is so vital, but we don't hear much at all. Has something changed recently?

Old 10-20-2015, 05:25 AM

23,465 posts, read 17,616,911 times
Quote:
I agree that 3 stations at 5pts MMPT, Lindbergh or Lenox, and Doraville, would be overkill and not be necessary.

Lindbergh would work as Atlanta's station from a logistical standpoint, or also Armour, if they put an infill Red/Gold stop there. But my preference is still for a Grand Central station adjacent to/connected to Five Points MARTA, which is the hub station for all lines, and the historic center of the city, and the historic train station area of town. But that seems unlikely unless they get funding and political will for it.

If an Amtrak line went to Macon (in the future), the third metro Atlanta stop could be at Mountain View/Airport International Terminal, which is planned to be a commuter rail stop anyway, and would nicely serve the south side, being near highways.

For the current line that goes to Birmingham, you could do a metropolitan stop in south Cobb.
Not enough density or points of interest to warrant a station.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 AM

5,445 posts, read 3,845,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I've been under the impression for years now that the NE portion of the BeltLine was a done deal for any sort of Amtrak/Commuter rail? I remember a huge negotiation among all parties, along with the City/BeltLine buying out Wayne Mason.

The segment from 10th to Armour/Lindbergh is so vital, but we don't hear much at all. Has something changed recently?
It's not happening, especially given the amount of negotiation that was required to abandon the line.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 AM

1,061 posts, read 922,840 times
Would love to see this at MMPT. I hope that project finds the support and funding it needs, because it would be huge for the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or