Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:25 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

I think this site would make since considering the plans to redevelop the area, plus the possible expansion of MARTA to Gwinnett in the future.
Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
I'm all for more trains! If only Congress would subsidize expanded and more frequent service!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think this site would make since considering the plans to redevelop the area, plus the possible expansion of MARTA to Gwinnett in the future.
Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Can't read behind the paywall, sadly.

It would be nice since the new station would be right across from a MARTA Rail station, instead of requiring a bus transfer.

That said, I REALLY hope they don't tear down the Peachtree Station, but that's a bit of a personal preference...

Looks back at fantasy transit maps Oh hey! I called a standard rail link at Doraville! Though, that was more commuter rail... eh, maybe we can use the station in the future for more than just Amtrak, and use Peachtree as an ITP Commuter station, like it was so long ago?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM

222 posts, read 231,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I'm all for more trains! If only Congress would subsidize expanded and more frequent service!
You're kidding right? Do you realize how heavily subsidized it already it?

For example:

"Amtrak has cost the government over $45 billion in subsidies over the last 44 years, allowing it to finance the upkeep of unprofitable routes, overstaffed trains, and the mismanagement of its food services.

The bipartisan Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 would subsidize Amtrak by an estimated $7 billion from 2016 to 2020. It passed the House by 316 votes to 101 votes on Wednesday and is now headed to the Senate and, presumably, President Obama’s signature."

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post

For example:

"Amtrak has cost the government over $45 billion in subsidies over the last 44 years, allowing it to finance the upkeep of unprofitable routes, overstaffed trains, and the mismanagement of its food services.

The bipartisan Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 would subsidize Amtrak by an estimated $7 billion from 2016 to 2020. It passed the House by 316 votes to 101 votes on Wednesday and is now headed to the Senate and, presumably, President Obama’s signature."
Yeah, because no other form of transportation is ever subsidised in this country! And it's not like a fickle budget and lack of funds has lead to a backlog of critical repairs (much like so many other sections of this country)!

Old 07-31-2015, 12:35 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Yes: UPDATE: Reminder: Amtrak Subsidies Pale in Comparison to Highway Subsidies | Streetsblog USA

(But I think that means we need to lower / remove road subsidies, not raise other subsidies)

But on the main topic: sounds like a better location than the current. But I still hope they keep long term plans to operate out of the MMPT.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post

For example:

Do you realize how well and how often trains run in other countries? That's what I want here, not one train between Atlanta and Charlotte per day that drops me off in Uptown at 1 in the morning. Fund it.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Good to see they aren't going to wait on the MMPT, but hopefully it's a fairly simple but functional station that can be closed once the MMPT is up and going and they have the route down the beltline into it secured.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Good to see they aren't going to wait on the MMPT, but hopefully it's a fairly simple but functional station that can be closed once the MMPT is up and going and they have the route down the beltline into it secured.
Matt, the City and surrounding neighborhoods aren't going to allow the Beltline right of way, especially on the east side, to be taken up with rail that barely gets used. Especially when there's much more to be gained by running Light Rail and multi-use trail through the right of way.

Unless they somehow build the track to a sufficient way as to carry Light Rail AND Amtrak, it won't happen. Amtrak will either have to secure another run around, suck it up and back trains through the wye, or stick to stations along the main route.

Edit: While Atlanta Streetcar uses standard gauge for its streetcars and the eventual Light Rail, I don't believe the FTA does not allow mixed operations of Amtrak/Commuter Rail on such rights of way.

Last edited by fourthwarden; 07-31-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Well, Atlanta and the neighborhoods don't have much of a choice. I can't say much more than that, but things are starting to move on reclaiming the beltline. Actually, they will have a choice, the beltline is wide enough to support two FRA tracks and two LRT tracks or two FRA tracks and the trail so the city and its neighborhoods will have to figure out which one they want to keep, the LRT or the trail. I'm hoping they'll go for the LRT since the trail can easily be rerouted given the much smaller RoW needs so the city can keep all-three just not in the same RoW. But far more is to be gained by connecting Atlanta to its north eastern suburbs and north eastern neighbors than transit for a demand that doesn't actually exist over there. Also, I'm only talking about the east side segment, the rest is useless for transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta