Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:50 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well, Atlanta and the neighborhoods don't have much of a choice. I can't say much more than that, but things are starting to move on reclaiming the beltline. Actually, they will have a choice, the beltline is wide enough to support two FRA tracks and two LRT tracks or two FRA tracks and the trail so the city and its neighborhoods will have to figure out which one they want to keep, the LRT or the trail. I'm hoping they'll go for the LRT since the trail can easily be rerouted given the much smaller RoW needs so the city can keep all-three just not in the same RoW. But far more is to be gained by connecting Atlanta to its north eastern suburbs and north eastern neighbors than transit for a demand that doesn't actually exist over there. Also, I'm only talking about the east side segment, the rest is useless for transportation.
Any move to cram commuter rail tracks down the Eastside Trail will make the I-485 Freeway Revolt look like a picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Any move to cram commuter rail tracks down the Eastside Trail will make the I-485 Freeway Revolt look like a picnic.
Exactly. It would require quite a bit of trail removal in neighborhoods who are not willing to have that happen. It would require the alterations of so many plans that it would all but halt any expansions on the Eastside.

Not even for commuter rail, but for Amtrak trains which will come twice a day for a station which has almost no real promise behind it. I want Amtrak service for the MMPT, but there are better ways to do it than uproot plans which are much further along.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Good to see they aren't going to wait on the MMPT, but hopefully it's a fairly simple but functional station that can be closed once the MMPT is up and going and they have the route down the beltline into it secured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Matt, the City and surrounding neighborhoods aren't going to allow the Beltline right of way, especially on the east side, to be taken up with rail that barely gets used. Especially when there's much more to be gained by running Light Rail and multi-use trail through the right of way.

Unless they somehow build the track to a sufficient way as to carry Light Rail AND Amtrak, it won't happen. Amtrak will either have to secure another run around, suck it up and back trains through the wye, or stick to stations along the main route.

Edit: While Atlanta Streetcar uses standard gauge for its streetcars and the eventual Light Rail, I don't believe the FTA does not allow mixed operations of Amtrak/Commuter Rail on such rights of way.
Quote:
Well, Atlanta and the neighborhoods don't have much of a choice. I can't say much more than that, but things are starting to move on reclaiming the beltline. Actually, they will have a choice, the beltline is wide enough to support two FRA tracks and two LRT tracks or two FRA tracks and the trail so the city and its neighborhoods will have to figure out which one they want to keep, the LRT or the trail. I'm hoping they'll go for the LRT since the trail can easily be rerouted given the much smaller RoW needs so the city can keep all-three just not in the same RoW. But far more is to be gained by connecting Atlanta to its north eastern suburbs and north eastern neighbors than transit for a demand that doesn't actually exist over there. Also, I'm only talking about the east side segment, the rest is useless for transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Exactly. It would require quite a bit of trail removal in neighborhoods who are not willing to have that happen. It would require the alterations of so many plans that it would all but halt any expansions on the Eastside.

Not even for commuter rail, but for Amtrak trains which will come twice a day for a station which has almost no real promise behind it. I want Amtrak service for the MMPT, but there are better ways to do it than uproot plans which are much further along.

Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 PM

Yeup, I was looking at those earlier, was wondering if there was a correlation between the Matts...

That plan does require Amtrak to increase service through Atlanta though, which I'd be overjoyed for.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:42 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
No, no correlation, I take issue with many of his plans.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Yes. This plan is what Atlanta needs to be working towards for it's rail traffic.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
No, no correlation, I take issue with many of his plans.
Fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yes. This plan is what Atlanta needs to be working towards for it's rail traffic.
I agree, though it would have Amtrak open up two new long distance routes, and they're not funded enough / making enough money to have that as part of the cards, unless they get a new boost from congress or the states who the trains would serve.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:03 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
His plans are the bestest.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
i'm sorry, but you must be delusional if you think they'll ever allow the beltline to carry heavy rail ever again. it's not going to happen. it's a political impossibility. we need to start thinking up other ways we can connect amtrak's line to downtown, because that stretch is just out of the equation at this point.

i am honestly surprised no one has suggested this:

it would cost a fraction of both the political and financial capital that it would take to relay heavy freight rail along the beltline, and would only require a new rail connection at armour. certainly not a cheap proposal, but if amtrak wants to keep its rail service exactly the same and not reroute, this could be a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site-altrail.png  

Last edited by bryantm3; 08-01-2015 at 02:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think this site would make since considering the plans to redevelop the area, plus the possible expansion of MARTA to Gwinnett in the future.
Amtrak in talks for new station at GM plant site - Atlanta Business Chronicle
so I guess this means the end of the MMT atlanta wanted to build downtown. The Amtrak Station is kind of useless in my opinion if there is rail fr Chicago to Miami going through Atlanta would be dope. Right now the only ood stops are Philly, New York & New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta