Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times

Advertisements

I was thinking Duluth because it has that Southeastern Railway Museum. Kind of an historic rail hub too, for the old line that used to go between there and Duluth, MN, which it was named after. Would be really cool to have it be a MARTA commuter rail and Amtrak station in one, right in the downtown.

Also because it's about halfway between Downtown Atlanta and Gainesville. And the Doraville stop would be about halfway between Downtown and Duluth. So that would be kinda perfect. Then you could do another stop in Mableton or somewhere.

However, when/if we're ever talking high speed rail, that line should bypass all the other smaller stops in GA, and just stop at the main MMPT in Downtown Atlanta, with the next stop being Greenville, and then Charlotte.

Yeah, I'm pipe dreamin' over here. Can't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I was thinking Duluth because it has that Southeastern Railway Museum. Kind of an historic rail hub too, for the old line that used to go between there and Duluth, MN, which it was named after. Would be really cool to have it be a MARTA commuter rail and Amtrak station in one, right in the downtown.

Also because it's about halfway between Downtown Atlanta and Gainesville. And the Doraville stop would be about halfway between Downtown and Duluth. So that would be kinda perfect. Then you could do another stop in Mableton or somewhere.

However, when/if we're ever talking high speed rail, that line should bypass all the other smaller stops in GA, and just stop at the main MMPT in Downtown Atlanta, with the next stop being Greenville, and then Charlotte.

Yeah, I'm pipe dreamin' over here. Can't hurt.
^ This

Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm sorry, but you must be delusional if you think they'll ever allow the beltline to carry heavy rail ever again. it's not going to happen. it's a political impossibility. we need to start thinking up other ways we can connect amtrak's line to downtown, because that stretch is just out of the equation at this point.

i am honestly surprised no one has suggested this:

it would cost a fraction of both the political and financial capital that it would take to relay heavy freight rail along the beltline, and would only require a new rail connection at armour. certainly not a cheap proposal, but if amtrak wants to keep its rail service exactly the same and not reroute, this could be a solution.
Without question. Any proposal to use the Eastside Beltline for any sort of heavy rail will be DOA.

I have believed in that very reroute that you proposed for years. But this is the first map of such a reroute that I've seen here.

Or they could just do this:

Oooooooh. Can't believe I missed this one! If they can't get the downtown MMPT going, then Doraville definitely represents a good opportunity for a new Amtrak station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think the Doraville site would be a very good one with the MARTA station there and plenty of space for potential parking, both of which the current location severly lacks.
Indeed. If MARTA could allow Amtrak users to park in the Doraville deck, then for the first time we would actually have on-site, long-term parking for Amtrak. I think that lack of this is one of several obstacles against people choosing to ride Amtrak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Because of the reality of metro Atlanta transportation.

You, me, and every other MARTA/GRTA/Amtrak supporter on this site can keep clamoring for more rail and more TODs, which would be a good thing, but the fact remains that as of now, 90%+ of metro Atlanta commuters use their cars. Heck, when I use MARTA, I have to use my car to make the short trip from my house to the Doraville station. I assume the situation is the same for a lot of MARTA riders: drive from your home to the station, then take the train to and from your destination. Ridership on MARTA is on the increase, but many of those commuters aren't using buses and Uber to get to the rail stations.

So yes, parking has to be part of the equation, if not for the simple fact that Atlanta is a car-centric metro. Even the urbanist-minded TODs planned for stations like Brookhaven feature parking decks. Density in Midtown has seen a dramatic increase, but have you ever noticed that most of the new developments feature multi-story parking decks?

- skbl17
As much as I favor an all-of-the-above approach to transportation, sadly I agree with every word of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nope. Parking is so overbuilt we offer almost all of it for free yet it still sits empty almost all the time. Not sure how you could any stronger indicator of over supply.

Nope they aren't. Even though most of them are free they still sit empty most of the time. Luckily MARTA leadership is smart and is replacing the parking lots with transit oriented developments which will boost ridership.

Before:

After:
*drools at those images

Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Good to see they aren't going to wait on the MMPT, but hopefully it's a fairly simple but functional station that can be closed once the MMPT is up and going and they have the route down the beltline into it secured.
I dont see the MMPT happening its been a pipe dream for a long time

Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I dont see the MMPT happening its been a pipe dream for a long time
I could see a few things happening:
  • MARTA passes its .5 cent sales tax in Fulton, CoA, and Dekalb.

• MARTA and Atlanta agree that $1 - $2 Bil. of the full $8 Bil. be dedicated to LRT around the Beltline and high-priority streetcar routes, which still allows the Clifton Corridor, Connect 400, and I-20 East expansions.

• Atlanta Offers its own .5 cent sales tax on top of the MARTA tax. This one is much shorter, and would go to paying for the remainder of the streetcars.
    OR
  • Atlanta Offers its own .5 cent sales tax on top of the MARTA tax. This one is a bit shorter, and would go to securing funds for both the remaining streetcars and the MMPT.

• Fulton and DeKalb are given the opportunity to enact their own .5 cent sales tax on top of the MARTA tax to expand Commuter rail within their boundaries, using the MMPT as a hub.

Granted, this is all up in the air, but I could see some of this at least being tried.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 AM

126 posts, read 231,860 times
I don't understand why they couldn't serve both Doarville and the MMPT. There are tons of cities where Amtrak station are nothing but 10-20 miles apart, the same could be easily done here. There are also tons of stations where trains currently have to back out too and I know Amtrak didn't want to do that but I don't see them passing up an opportunity like the MMPT and serving the actual City of Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
I don't understand why they couldn't serve both Doarville and the MMPT. There are tons of cities where Amtrak station are nothing but 10-20 miles apart, the same could be easily done here. There are also tons of stations where trains currently have to back out too and I know Amtrak didn't want to do that but I don't see them passing up an opportunity like the MMPT and serving the actual City of Atlanta.
I think that is an excellent suggestion.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Yeah, I'm 100% for a Doraville Amtrak station, with park & ride and serving the 285 corridor and the suburbs.

But I am 100% against that being the only "Atlanta" Amtrak station. That's kind of ridiculous, even with MARTA. Downtown needs an Amtrak station, or Atlanta can't call it self a major city, much less the freakin' hub of the southeast.

CofA needs AT LEAST 1 Amtrak station. If not one at Five Points and 1 also at Lenox, halfway between downtown and Doraville, and also nicely connected to MARTA.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
So two stops with in a few miles... Yea, AmTrak is going to do that. (AmTrak Does about 150 passenger on each of the two trains per day, We are not talking alot of people moving thru AmTrak)

I'm Surprised they still do the Flag Stop in Gainesville for 6500/year.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
WTF do you mean my likes? That is very insulting. I have never once insulted you.
I was simply asking, because it seems to me we have an overabundance of free parking. Not every development needs new parking, shared parking facilities would free up more land to be developed and produce tax money. Surface parking generates no money and takes up valuable land. Besides holiday shopping season, how many times are mall parking lots used over 60%? Same with roadways, we build all this capacity, for it to only be used 4-6 hours each weekday.
I dont think she was insulting you, Cqholt you go hard for the trains and TODs but I understand where you are coming from. The issue not really the automobile its the automobile culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta