Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,235 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a friend who is considering moving from South Forsyth to the Milton/Alpharetta/Roswell area. I am looking for feedback for her as she doesn't know much about those areas specifically Roswell. They would prefer a golf community but it's not required as long as a golf course is nearby. South Forsyth is building out of control with no end in sight. I know Milton is also building but at least they have minimum lot sizes. Can you give me some feedback about these areas?

In Milton, they are considering:

The Manor
Triple Crown
White Columns
Kingsley Estates

As far as schools, they all look great but Birmingham Falls elementary is ranked 109th in state. That's so low for that area. Anyone know why?

I think they realize it's farther out and harder to get to things. Are the roads congested out there? Is it going to get worse or is Milton doing a good job about widening roads along with growth? Are the schools overcrowded or is there a good teacher/student ratio.

In Roswell, they are considering:

Lakeside at Ansley
Overlook at Litchfield
Windsor

This is where they need the most guidance. Schools all look good except Elkins Pointe Middle seems to be on lower side when comparing with others. Is this area a nice area of Roswell? These neighborhoods are all within a few miles of each other but is there anything nearby to be concerned about? They like the idea of being closer to stores/restaurants/Atlanta but have not really been there much besides Canton Street. What is the traffic like?

Commute not an issue for them.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
The neighborhoods are all pretty similar. A lot of the same builders.

The Milton area elementary schools are still developing in my opinion. There is a lot of money and parental involvement there, so the schools will be great once they get a steady system in place.

Elkins Point MS is what it is. It draws kids from Mimosa Elementary, and that is going to have an impact. I have a few friends with kids there and they like it but don't love it.

I like Lakeside at Ansley. It's a well done neighborhood full of quality homes and it has swim and tennis.

I like White Columns too, but the housing stock might be a bit older. It also has golf.

The Manor went through some rough times during the real estate downturn, so they want to be sure the house they are looking at didn't sit half done for a few years.

I tend to not like the Milton area because it is such a pain in the backside to get in and out of there during rush hour. Since the commute isn't an issue this might not matter.

Ansley is closer to downtown Roswell for dining.

I like Stroup Rd and the little subdivisions around the corner of Jones and Bowen in Roswell. The housing stock might be a bit older than they want though. That area offers big lots, big houses, good schools, and really close to things.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
I don't have children so I'm rarely concerned about schools, but of the choices, I'd go with Roswell. It's a little laid back, has good food, and isn't that far from town. A lot of it is pretty, there are activities, and I find it has a sense of culture. There's no public transit that I am aware of, but it's flat and walkable. The people from police officers to business owners to everyone else seem nice and friendly. However, it does seem a bit cumbersome to access a freeway though. Traffic is not bad, and overall, I'd say it seems to function like a community.

As an additional area, I think they should consider Woodstock if they are looking if they are golf lovers A course literally runs between the back of the houses in at least one subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta