Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times

Advertisements

None of the cities you mentioned have more diversity than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
None of the cities you mentioned have more diversity than Atlanta.
They may or may not, depending on the city but some are more open minded when it comes to certain things especially interracial relationships, I just feel Atlanta is really still closed minded..Most races here still stick to their own and look at you crazy if you're outside that group. You have to travel to experience for yourself, I think u will be plesently suprised.. The point is Atlanta is not the only big city of importance in the south..

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
They may or may not, depending on the city but some are more open minded when it comes to certain things especially interracial relationships, I just feel Atlanta is really still closed minded..Most races here still stick to their own and look at you crazy if you're outside that group. You have to travel to experience for yourself, I think u will be plesently suprised.. The point is Atlanta is not the only big city of importance in the south..
Newsflash....Most races generally speaking stick to their races everywhere . If they don't its because very few of them are in that city so they are forced to mix with other groups

Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
Quote:
That may be true about Rural Georgia, but not the 2nd Tier Cities like Savannah and Macon which have populations well over 100,000 residents and are metros them selves. They have much of what metro Atl has but on a much smaller scale including Transit. It Amazes me how many people in Georgia don't travel much to really know what different places are like and how big they really are. The big fool that people from GA get is how they stereo Type Tennessee and Kentucky. Most people in GA only really go to Chattanooga and don't Realize how big Nashville or Memphis is until they go their, they are shocked it reminds them of Atl and that Tennessee has cities that big. Even Louisville, KY is a big shocker for people from Ga that don't travel and think those places are back woods.. it's funny because I think GA suffered the same stereo type until Atlanta 's name and image blew up after the Olympics. Moral of story get out and Travel, see for ur self before u pass Judgment of a place. In my opinion much of GA 2nd Tiers are what inner city Atlanta was like pre 1996 on a much smaller scale and less cultural, some more dense and urban than the others, especially Macon and Savannah. That's just my opinion.
This doesn't apply to just Atlanta and Georgia, but one thing I've noticed in here is the lack of respect and recognition for smaller metro areas. People are making it seem as if it's just Atlanta and the rest is "small town Georgia." You can't group hundreds of small, rural towns with under 10,000 people into the same category as Savannah, Augusta, Columbus and Macon. Really, Athens or Albany too. In my opinion, if a city has it's own metro, it's not a small town. These are cities with their own metro area, own inner city, own suburbs, own city transit, etc. They are "the city" and hubs for not only their suburbs, but the dozens of true small towns surrounding them within an hour or hour and a half, where people come to shop and enjoy night life.

I know we're not anything close to a major city, but I never felt "country" growing up. All the people in true rural Middle and South Georgia counties called us "city folks" and all the girls from places like that wanted a "city" Macon boy and would flock to us when they came up from their small towns to go to the mall and other places.

I know we're lacking in many ways, I've talked about it myself, but it does feel a little disrespectful. It's a big difference living in these cities and rural towns.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Newsflash....Most races generally speaking stick to their races everywhere . If they don't its because very few of them are in that city so they are forced to mix with other groups
This isn't always the case.. It may be the case in places like Atlanta or Georgia as a whole but a lot of places and regions just aren't that closed minded anymore and it has nothing to do with people being forced to interact..

Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Nobody here claimed that it was. However the South is a huge region and Atlanta is the biggest, most important city within a 500 mile radius so that makes a difference.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
I never thought anything in particular about small towns in Georgia except south GA is hot and north GA is cooler lol.

We have taken trips up in the north Georgia mountains in order to relax away from the city for a weekend like a lot metro Atlanta residents do and we have seen plenty of black people in those areas so I never thought about a racial thing or the KKK. I don't think the KKK is very active today in general and they don't frighten me.

That said, I agree with goofy328 in that I am also from Ohio. I am from a larger city though with a black population of 28-30% and I always feel that rural Ohio is probably racist. I have never thought that about GA since GA has more black people living in "the country" versus Ohio or Michigan or Indiana of which I am familiar with and travel to the larger cities in those states more often. I also feel that NY state outside of NYC and smaller cities (Rochester and Buffalo) are more racist in the country. I have never thought about that in regards to the southeast.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Mod cut.
It really gets under my skin that people keep thinking Atlanta is the only big city in these states listed above and is the only place that has diversity in the south... People really need to get out and Travel more if they think Atlanta is just it... Nashville, Louisville, Memphis, New Orleans and so many others have Diversity some more or just as much as Atlanta.. A lot of these places even view interracial dating in a better light than here which I was quite surprised my self.. Atlanta is still behind in a lot of ways being in GA... Also I think true small town Ga is not in the same category as the second tier cities that have populations over 100,000 like Savannah, Macon, etc. There is absolutely nothing in true small town Georgia which are not metros.. 2nd Tier Ga are no where on the level as Atlanta but not on the same level as small town Ga either. True enough though, people tend to try to escape them for better opportunity.
Wanted to clarify that I don't think that Atlanta is the only "city" in GA. When I speak of "the country" I am speaking literally about rural areas.

All the cities you mentioned outside of GA are nowhere near "country." I am from Toledo, Ohio and it is not "country" yet when I mentioned it in here people thought it was even though 300,000 people live in the city itself and it is a very diverse city.

When I think of "the country" I think farm towns, not Savannah or Macon or Columbus or even Valdosta or Albany.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to clarify that I don't think that Atlanta is the only "city" in GA. When I speak of "the country" I am speaking literally about rural areas.

All the cities you mentioned outside of GA are nowhere near "country." I am from Toledo, Ohio and it is not "country" yet when I mentioned it in here people thought it was even though 300,000 people live in the city itself and it is a very diverse city.

When I think of "the country" I think farm towns, not Savannah or Macon or Columbus or even Valdosta or Albany.
You are so right here and i couldnt agree with you More. I guess the whole Point to Get out of all of this is Every State has Major Cities, Hub Cities, Midsized Cities, Small Towns, and a Rural Country Side, including New York and Califorina, some of our Nations most populated and Largest States. Its almost like every state is its own Country with in one nation and they all have their own Capital but the Nations Capital is DC... The Cities Layout may be different in a lot of cases Especially Tennessee Cities(Memphis and Nashville) which hold their population in the Center Making its City larger than Atlanta but Metro Area is Smaller. The population in a lot of states like Tennessee and North Carolina balances out population in its 2nd Tiers more than Georgia does where a Majority resides in Metro Atlanta. For Example Knoxville and Chattanooga Metro gets a pretty healthy Metro Population compaired to Georgia other Metros. But by no mean is Tennessee and Kentucky back woods like a lot of people in Georgia Stereo Type. Their are parts of Louisville, KY way more dense and look and feel far more Urban than most Urban part of Atlanta. Even Check out Covington, Ky just across from Cincinnati and tell me what you think.. Just Travel Guys to see for your self and if you cant just check out Google Earth or Google Maps...Like i said Atlanta and Georgia used to get this Country Stereo Type until it blew up after the Olympics in 1996...Explore you Guys and you will see our Nation is a very Huge place even in places you never thought...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
This doesn't apply to just Atlanta and Georgia, but one thing I've noticed in here is the lack of respect and recognition for smaller metro areas. People are making it seem as if it's just Atlanta and the rest is "small town Georgia." You can't group hundreds of small, rural towns with under 10,000 people into the same category as Savannah, Augusta, Columbus and Macon. Really, Athens or Albany too. In my opinion, if a city has it's own metro, it's not a small town. These are cities with their own metro area, own inner city, own suburbs, own city transit, etc. They are "the city" and hubs for not only their suburbs, but the dozens of true small towns surrounding them within an hour or hour and a half, where people come to shop and enjoy night life.

I know we're not anything close to a major city, but I never felt "country" growing up. All the people in true rural Middle and South Georgia counties called us "city folks" and all the girls from places like that wanted a "city" Macon boy and would flock to us when they came up from their small towns to go to the mall and other places.

I know we're lacking in many ways, I've talked about it myself, but it does feel a little disrespectful. It's a big difference living in these cities and rural towns.
Hey man, I kinda feel ya and where you are coming from. People are just stupid like that. I remember when I first moved here people would always assume I was from New York or Philly and would be more respectful, when I would say I was from Florida they would behave like I wasnt up on game or something. Some people think that if you are not from a city the size of Chicago then you are not aware of things they think you should be aware of. Social Media and the internet has kind of killed all of that. Everyone is aware of everything now if they want to be. Ill used that Atlanta Hip Hop history doc as a perfect example. Atlanta rappers used to be insecure about New York and LA viewed them locally and Atlanta rap acts used to emulate the New York and West coast rappers until Outkast and Dungeon dropped. The City man will always be attractive to the country woman until the city man insults her way of life lol. I say let it go or move to a bigger city if it means that much to you. Atlanta folks will never respect Macon the way they do Chicago or DC or Philly. Until Macon has everything they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta