U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 25,279 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is relocating to the Atlanta suburbs and I would appreciate your opinions about a potential commute. My husband got a job in Marietta, and we have already signed a lease for a home in Acworth. We haven't moved in yet, but we are in the process of getting our ducks in a row. The home is very convenient to I-75 and in a good area for us because we have small children and were concerned about schools, etc. It is also very close to my husband's work.

I did not have a job in the Atlanta area initially, but in the recent weeks I've interviewed for several positions. I am contemplating two jobs, but I'm concerned about the commute. One is in Decatur and the other is near Georgia Tech downtown. Both offer great professional opportunities and good salaries, and I'd be happy in either job.

All other things being equal, which commute is the lesser of two evils and why? Or should I say no to both and keep looking (if the commute question is the only considerable factor)? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 AM

513 posts, read 1,427,029 times
I've not done that commute, but I can't see in any way how Decatur would be an easier commute. That actually sounds horrific to me. Acworth to downtown would not be a picnic, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who make that commute every day.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 AM

2,373 posts, read 3,726,245 times
Acworth to Downtown is the better commute - hands down.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:18 AM

5,253 posts, read 4,005,422 times
Realistically there's probably not much difference though that depends on where in Decatur since a Decatur address could be up to 10 miles from Decatur itself. If talking near downtown Decatur, then you'd basically have a reverse commute once you got past Atlanta so you'd really only be looking at extra time rather than a bunch of traffic headed the same way you are.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 AM

994 posts, read 1,169,089 times
I'm in Kennesaw, which borders Acworth, and I have a neighbor who commutes to Decatur for work. It is an absolutely horrible experience for her if she does not leave the house by around 6:20 or 6:30 am. She often doesn't get home til close to 7.

On the other hand, I have neighbors who also work downtown. They do experience the usual ATL traffic woes, but at a much less stressful scale than the neighbor who drives to Decatur.

ETA: If your work schedule is a somewhat alternative one (e.g. 6-2 or 7-3), you can do either location and have a manageable commute that preserves your quality of life.

Last edited by hautemomma; 08-03-2015 at 04:32 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM

23,247 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Decatur has no direct freeway connections.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,045,523 times
you seemingly found these opportunities fairly easily. Any chance you could keep looking to find a better commute? Of course, you can accept the job downtown and then keep looking too.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,118,807 times
Decatur is pretty much on an island without easy access to highways. Depending on where you are talking about in Decatur, you could pretty easily be talking about 20 minutes or more just to get to/from the nearest highway during peak commute hours.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 AM

22,796 posts, read 34,841,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Acworth to Downtown is the better commute - hands down.
Yep. No contest.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 25,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
you seemingly found these opportunities fairly easily. Any chance you could keep looking to find a better commute? Of course, you can accept the job downtown and then keep looking too.
What concerns me is that a lot of what I've read here (and from other sources) suggests that job hunting in Atlanta can be tough. The job market in my field isn't great, so I've been wondering if a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

I've thought about your latter suggestion - taking the job downtown until I can find something better, though I'm not a huge fan of leaving what seems to be a great opportunity after such a short time.

Maybe I should just keep looking...decisions, decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or