Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,097,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
People are just trolling at this point. They are so upset that the Braves are playing in another part of the metro that they just want to do anything they can to make them look bad. Other cities have teams in suburban areas as well. I mean look at the NY Jets and Giants. They don't even play in the same state yet every Sunday their stadium is packed. Get over it already people, geez.
That's a very small minority of fans (even intown). Most people that are against the move are pissed off due to the scummy way the Cobb County Commission rammed the deal down Cobb taxpayers throats, the upcoming traffic disaster the stadium will bring to the I-75/285 interchange, and dropping a huge development of regional impact in an area with no rail transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,679,355 times
Default Braves revenue declines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
2 different sports. Perhaps you meant the LA Angels of Anaheim?

Anyway, this is my reminder that the 1990 Braves went .401 but next year went on to the World Series (lost in 7). The Astros had 3 consecutive 100 loss seasons and are now in the playoffs. The Rangers finished .414 last season but just won the AL West division this season. Were we really that spoiled that we can't handle a sub 500 season?
Trust me, it's the culmination of many issues way on beyond that 1 factor you seem to advance as the single cause for an attendance collapse.
Under a theoretical online encyclopedic entry for "How not to run a major league baseball franchise", the answer would be : "See Liberty Media's ownership of the Atlanta Braves."

Also, see other attendance collapses found throughout the history of baseball when a franchise has turned lousy both onfield as well as in management/ownership.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 919,308 times
Suntrust will be packed

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,679,355 times
^^^ Perhaps so for a couple of seasons until the novelty of the new park wears off, especially if on field & management/ownership mediocrity & cluelessness continue.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
^^^ Perhaps so for a couple of weeks until the novelty of the new park wears off, especially if on field & management/ownership mediocrity & cluelessness continue.
FIFY.

And that's not sour grapes either. I'll likely be there the opening week myself.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,214,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I can believe it, I was in attendance last Thursday night for the Nationals game and it was empty.
That what happens when you make a huge announcement that offends many intown fans and then put a poor product on the field. But all that will 'magically' change when they move to Cobb County.
Maybe if the kids watching at home clap their hands together, Liberty Media's and Cobb County's wish will come true?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
FIFY.

And that's not sour grapes either. I'll likely be there the opening week myself.
Whats your thinking here?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Whats your thinking here?
It'll mostly depend on how well the team is doing going into 2017. If the Braves repeat 2015 next year, I definitely don't see the place being packed out consistently when the new park opens (outside of the first few weeks).

Then again, we've never been a "pack'em in" baseball town (with the possible exception of 1993 at AFCS). Even with the opening of the Ted, average attendance never went much above 40,000 (this is right after a WS win and WS appearance in 1995-96) and started rapidly declining post-2000 (right after a WS appearance in '99 and in the middle of the division streak):

Barring a more successful edition of the 90's run, I would honestly be surprised if SunTrust's attendance ends up being much higher (additional 5,000+/game) than at the Ted on a consistent basis.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,133,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
2 different sports. Perhaps you meant the LA Angels of Anaheim?

Anyway, this is my reminder that the 1990 Braves went .401 but next year went on to the World Series (lost in 7). The Astros had 3 consecutive 100 loss seasons and are now in the playoffs. The Rangers finished .414 last season but just won the AL West division this season. Were we really that spoiled that we can't handle a sub 500 season?
Yes, I meant the angels (not the Clippers). Thx. Yes, we need an Atlanta team. The Braves can be the Smyrna Braves and we can get a real Atlanta team.

That Anaheim thing is about the same as Atlanta and where the Braves are moving. Anaheim has absolutely no relation to anything having to do with Los Angeles. Anaheim is so far it's not even considered a suburb of Los Angeles so at least the Braves have that, I guess. The Los Angeles Anaheim thing is like Atlanta Alpharetta in feel and almost in distance.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Yes, I meant the angels (not the Clippers). Thx. Yes, we need an Atlanta team. The Braves can be the Smyrna Braves and we can get a real Atlanta team.
That will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta