Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I'm not saying Nashville is a backwoods. podunk place. It's not. It has grown and diversified by leaps and bounds in recent years. However, I am from there and know it very, very well. I have been in Metro ATL for a couple of years now. I've also visited many larger major cities. Nashville is retrograde in some ways and still preserves that "good ole boy" sensibility. It is evident among the corporate and governmental ranks there and within many of the communities, where minorities will still draw a double-look. Entertainment options are improving, but if you're not into country, bluegrass or rock, you will be left many nights wondering what in the world to do, other than go out to eat.
If your talking "good ole boy" there is plenty of that here in Atlanta and GA as well, go down to the Gold Dome at the Georgia State Capital and look at Georgia State Laws, Still the South and Good ole boy all the way..Still the South and being Atlanta in GA. dont change that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
The development is extreme. All those apartments going up, ridiculous. Cost of living exponentially increasing, insane. But at least the working class are getting priced of the area, which is what the PTB seem to be gunning for.
Exactly. I have some friends who live in Nashville, and most love it, and from my limited time there, it's an enjoyable place. However, rents and home prices anywhere reasonably close to job centers or other nice areas are approaching the levels of truly major cities like Miami and Boston. Nashville is nowhere near that level.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:29 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
If your talking "good ole boy" there is plenty of that here in Atlanta and GA as well, go down to the Gold Dome at the Georgia State Capital and look at Georgia State Laws, Still the South and Good ole boy all the way..Still the South and being Atlanta in GA. dont change that...
Of course, some of that is here. But being in a Metro with 5.5 million people, with diversity everywhere you turn and transplants from all over the country and the globe, makes the ATL experience almost diametrically opposed to being in Nashville. There is really no comparison, so don't try.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly. I have some friends who live in Nashville, and most love it, and from my limited time there, it's an enjoyable place. However, rents and home prices anywhere reasonably close to job centers or other nice areas are approaching the levels of truly major cities like Miami and Boston. Nashville is nowhere near that level.
And Nashville is one of the top places where the cost of living is skyrocketing way beyond what people are making or the level of their income rising. I don't know who is buying all that overpriced real estate - maybe out of town investors or transplants from higher cost of living cities who think an 800-square foot house with flipped-caliber finishes at $400K is cheap.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
And Nashville is one of the top places where the cost of living is skyrocketing way beyond what people are making or the level of their income rising. I don't know who is buying all that overpriced real estate - maybe out of town investors or transplants from higher cost of living cities who think an 800-square foot house with flipped-caliber finishes at $400K is cheap.
I blame all the bro-country stars.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Well you can't compare a state's sociopolitical climate to a city's...that's not apples to apples.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well you can't compare a state's sociopolitical climate to a city's...that's not apples to apples.
We all have our opinons on here, NOTE i said opinions... and no matter how you look at it, its still Georgia and still the South, it doesnt matter if Metro ATL has 7,000,000. I can give a few examples of this but i rather not go into all of that. I will give one small example though and that would be Transit. Georgia is the only State with a Transit System its size that wont support mass transit and still has yet to build commuter rail and thats just one example, i could give many more... wether you want to admit it or not the State's sociopolical climate has every thing to do with the City and Metro, it still has to follow its laws in the way it does things and grows.. Its like Taking you and saying your last name isnt what it is and you are not a part of that Family. You may not want to be but your still in that family. Cities like Nashville headed back towards the Midwest have a totally different feeling all together than Atlanta and feels less Southern to me even if Metro Atl is larger. Its more of Rust belt and less Southern. Again these are my opinions and not subject to Attack... lol

Old 08-11-2015, 04:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
We all have our opinons on here, NOTE i said opinions... and no matter how you look at it, its still Georgia and still the South, it doesnt matter if Metro ATL has 7,000,000. I can give a few examples of this but i rather not go into all of that. I will give one small example though and that would be Transit. Georgia is the only State with a Transit System its size that wont support mass transit and still has yet to build commuter rail and thats just one example, i could give many more... wether you want to admit it or not the State's sociopolical climate has every thing to do with the City and Metro, it still has to follow its laws in the way it does things and grows.. Its like Taking you and saying your last name isnt what it is and you are not a part of that Family. You may not want to be but your still in that family. Cities like Nashville headed back towards the Midwest have a totally different feeling all together than Atlanta and feels less Southern to me even if Metro Atl is larger. Its more of Rust belt and less Southern. Again these are my opinions and not subject to Attack... lol
Transit has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism levied at Nashville. I don't think you understood the original point at all.

And there's absolutely nothing Rustbelt about Nashville whatsoever. Do you even understand what that term means??? No way in the world is Nashville less culturally Southern than Atlanta...that's just ridiculous.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Nashville is a great city and I love the downtown/Lower Broadway area...but it has already out-sprawled and out-Atlanta'd Atlanta. Comparing Nashville's population of 1.7 million spread across 7400 square miles versus Atlanta's 5.5 million people and 8400 square miles - it's easy to see which city has more serious issues. Atlanta has actually been moving quickly toward improving urbanization and transit in recent years, and the economy seems to have completely bounced back. Nashville can only hope to follow in Atlanta's footsteps in the future.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:42 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
I would say the people who are buying this property are wealthy Yankees.

I am from East Tennessee and received several offers in Nashville between $35-40k. I couldn't justify moving for the increase in cost of living. I ended up getting an offer in Indy for $50k. I've had other calls in Nashville but they are all pitifully low in comparison to Florida, bigger metros, and northern areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta