Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
That's easy, voting, over and over! An example, Cynthia McKinney would still be in office if a Black man had not run against her!
So people only voted for this man because he was black, as opposed to liking his political views or just being sick of her? f you believe the latter, how do you know this? Did you take exit polls specifically asking them why they voted for her.
You posted that there is a lot of racism against whites in the area, yet you make blanketed and unfounded statements regarding others. So maybe the racism you experience is a reflection of the prejudice you project towards others.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
What it boils down to is that a certain amount of racism does exist on both sides in the Atlanta area, while at the same time there will always be people who cry wolf when what they're experiencing has nothing to do with true racism, either.

I worked for a call center once and we took orders for several high-end catalogs. The top priority was that you have good speaking skills on the phone and it was stated this way in the employment ad. Numerous times we had young black women who were from I guess you would call lower income areas apply for job, who had incredibly bad speeking skills. We had a standard script we would make everyone read as part of their application process. On more than one occasion what we would hear would be to the effect of, "Um.. yeah, hello. So, what chu be wantin' toodAY?" When the girls were told they did not pass the diction part of the test, the very first things out of their mouths would be an accusation of racism, usually followed by some sort of complaint filed with the state. Every time it would fall in favor of the company after the state reps heard the complaintants speak, but that's a good example of how someone who isn't qualified for a job uses a race card sometimes if they don't get a job, a raise, etc.

As far as cases of so-called "reverse-racism", there was a highly talked about case not long ago in the Atlanta area where a black fire chief did not promote several white workers who had seniority and better test scores, and instead placed an unqualified black employee above them. They filed suit and won I think an undisclosed amount of money because of it. Another case would be when Sheriff Vernon Jones was put into place in Clayton and immediately for no reason fired just about every white deputy they had, along with any black deputies that protested it. That was on the news for months. He was ordered to rehire them, and did so, but then refired some for no good reason he could produce, and I'm not sure but some of that may still be tied into the courts right now and unresolved.

There was also a case where a black police officer didn't like some comments his black chief was saying about promotions, so he took a hidden recorder into the chief's office where he was caught saying something to the effect of , "I'm not giving those white ass crackers a promotion over a brother...". They played this recording on the news for a couple of weeks. And let's not forget the time Atlanta's last Mayor (who's now in prison) slipped up and was recorded calling someone a "smart ass white boy"... which prompted a company to start selling T-shirts and caps that had "S.A.W.B." on them (sold a lot, too).

And yes, of course, there's examples of "White on black" racism that goes on still today, especially the further you get from the city. But as shown above, do not think for a second that it's not happing in the reverse way in the city of Atlanta, either. It is, and has.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
But as shown above, do not think for a second that it's not happing in the reverse way in the city of Atlanta, either. It is, and has.
Just in case this post was directed at me...please note I never said this.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Just in case this post was directed at me...please note I never said this.
Paranoia is an ugly thing. LOL

The "as shown above" comment meant my EXAMPLES above of other discrimination cases.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Paranoia is an ugly thing. LOL

The "as shown above" comment meant my EXAMPLES above of other discrimination cases.
FYI I didn't ask for an explanation only clarified my position on the matter. hth.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Uh, Vernon Jones was never the sheriff in Clayton. I believe that was Victor Hill.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yeah, the African vs. African American thing is interesting. In Detroit I worked with a Nigerian guy who was looking for an apartment who actually said that he did not "understand these blacks," and said that he did not want an apartment "where very many of these blacks live." An insensitive co-worker made a comment such as, "dude, aren't you, umm, black?" to which he
was highly offended and replied, " No, I am Nigerian!!!" and added some other comments that were very negative against African Americans. I had never encountered that attitude before and was very surprised.
Foreign Blacks really don't like American blacks at all, whether its West Indian, African, Black British etc....they resent African Americans to the highest degree. Do the African Americans know or understand why? No probably not. I will say this though. Motivation, drive, ambition & passion is a lot higher in the foreign blacks vs american blacks and that is a big part of their beef.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Default Not fair to compare......

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Foreign Blacks really don't like American blacks at all, whether its West Indian, African, Black British etc....they resent African Americans to the highest degree. Do the African Americans know or understand why? No probably not. I will say this though. Motivation, drive, ambition & passion is a lot higher in the foreign blacks vs american blacks and that is a big part of their beef.
That last sentence is odd considering the foreign Blacks that come here usually are either in tact financially, in family structure, educationally and so on. Then, you have to keep in mind the small numbers, relatively and that they wouldn't have gotten in most likely if they weren't of high value. In Canada for instance, the Blacks there, most of them from the Caribbean and lately Africa, are more "assimilated" than Asians.

Also, Blacks from Africa are the most educated immigrants in the US. I'm not even going to get into history. So, let's keep this all into perspective.

This isn't just phenomenon for just Blacks. This goes for Whites and other Americans to some degree as well. People seem to forget that the people with a long history in this country that came from Europe or other parts of the world, weren't necessarily the most desirable people or the best, or they would have stayed put. This is the difference between immigrants in the distant past versus the immigrants that have been coming the last 30-40 years or so. Maybe that is a reason why there is some distain, envy or down right hate towards Americans. To many, it is a country of over achievers(sp?) and leftovers that other countries didn't want or those that couldn't hack it in their native lands.

Isn't it also interesting how the non-official land of the law in terms of immigration or who comes in changed after the Civil Rights Movement? Think about when people started seeing immigrants in higher numbers from Eastern and Southern Asia, Latin America and now Africa. I could go on, but I think you get my point......

Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That last sentence is odd considering the foreign Blacks that come here usually are either in tact financially, in family structure, educationally and so on. Then, you have to keep in mind the small numbers, relatively and that they wouldn't have gotten in most likely if they weren't of high value. In Canada for instance, the Blacks there, most of them from the Caribbean and lately Africa, are more "assimilated" than Asians.

Also, Blacks from Africa are the most educated immigrants in the US. I'm not even going to get into history. So, let's keep this all into perspective.

This isn't just phenomenon for just Blacks. This goes for Whites and other Americans to some degree as well. People seem to forget that the people with a long history in this country that came from Europe or other parts of the world, weren't necessarily the most desirable people or the best, or they would have stayed put. This is the difference between immigrants in the distant past versus the immigrants that have been coming the last 30-40 years or so. Maybe that is a reason why there is some distain, envy or down right hate towards Americans. To many, it is a country of over achievers(sp?) and leftovers that other countries didn't want or those that couldn't hack it in their native lands.

Isn't it also interesting how the non-official land of the law in terms of immigration or who comes in changed after the Civil Rights Movement? Think about when people started seeing immigrants in higher numbers from Eastern and Southern Asia, Latin America and now Africa. I could go on, but I think you get my point......
I see your point somewhat. I do agree its not just a black thing...Hey look at how the French think of Americans lol. I think foreigners really pride themselves on education, where as we pride ourselves on flash. Of course I am not saying individually but as a nation. Im sure the other countries have rich people just like the US but it seems our rich people (the ones the world sees in the world media) are very dumb or vain. Understand what I mean?

Like I meet this chick from the islands right, she was over and I was flicking though channels and I stopped on the Flavor Flav show on MTV or Vh1 I think. Man this girl was so annoyed and went on and on about how dumb black people are in the US. Hey I am watching an over 45 year old black man behave like he is 18 and wasn't thinking nothing of it until she started to complain. Maybe our country is a numb to foolishness in compared to the foreigners.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,566 times
Racism is in every state south of Canada. Black and White folks are kind of racist against hispanics in Cali because they are taking over. Cuban are racist again blacks/whites in Miami. If you dont know spanish in Miami you might not be able to get a job. Chicago is VERY racist. DC is the most racist city of them all. County outside of DC basically banned all hispanics from their county. Several white men were arrested a while back for burning up a new subdivision of all new homes for black. NYC is just as racist. Just about each race have their own neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta