Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I just wanted to touch on the bigger issue being missed in the OP from all the articles he read.

Millennialis in the last 10 years have dealt with: lower pay, lower job stability, higher college costs, higher apartment rentals,and inability to invest heavily before the stock market recovered compared to the previous generation when they were the same age. And now that many upper-middle income millennialist have saved up the purchasing power, housing prices have shot up in many areas.

Millennials will start button my heavily soon, but the larger issue is long-term job security and ability to save for a down payment and get financing. It will be a longer road for many millennial a in lower and lower-middle income brackets as they got hit particularly hard.

That's really the basis for these articles. It isn't really merely choice and housing costs alone.
In the 1970s unemployment hit double digits, there were lines around the block to get gas, and mortgage rates were 18%. We were also living in the constant shadow of an implacable enemy with the potential to literally destroy us in a matter of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
What I know of Clayton County, as an outsider who works the film and TV biz in Atlanta, it's not the best choice. that said, why keep paying exorbitant prices to be in the "in" neighborhoods inside the 285 loop? Just feeding a potential bubble, is my take.

Not a millenial, but not old enough to be signing it all away either. I personally think that the OP is trying to drum up business so he/she can move the heck out and sell that property for more than the inflated price they paid in the early mid 1990's. This is what the generation who wants to rid themselves of the suburbanization and white flight of those days. When gentrification took hold in the inner city neighborhoods, those residents had to go somewhere. In Atlanta metro, this is where they went. It's reversing itself now, as the cost of commuting, time lost, and inner city decay is shunned. In other metros, Los Angeles is one I'm familiar with, they shuttled all the low rent folks out to San Bernardino and Riverside, so they could build up near the coast. No one who has lived in those communities for 30 or 40 years is happy about it. But this is what the white flight of the 1960's and 1970's has wrought. Lesson possibly learned.

Last edited by ashpelham; 07-25-2016 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: more thoughts.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In the 1970s unemployment hit double digits, there were lines around the block to get gas, and mortgage rates were 18%. We were also living in the constant shadow of an implacable enemy with the potential to literally destroy us in a matter of minutes.
Arjay,

There are always ups and downs over time in the economy. I'm not trying to make it sound like there aren't other down times. There are also unique individual crisis' that pop-up over time. However, the reality is the down time many of us graduated into recently was deeper and longer than the prior recessions. We didn't have 18% mortgage rates, but most of us it didn't matter. We didn't have the funds or lenders willing to take chances. Rates were low, because we were such a risk to lend to that many couldn't get a loan initially. Capital was available, but the places to put them were often too risky.

People keep trying to equate what happened to recent recessions, but conveniently forget that it was the deepest one since the Great Depression.

It is also worth considering that rents in apartments where mostly younger people resided back then were fairly low. Nowadays that isn't the case. Rents are high and the ability to create better savings for a long time was very low.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
What I know of Clayton County, as an outsider who works the film and TV biz in Atlanta, it's not the best choice. that said, why keep paying exorbitant prices to be in the "in" neighborhoods inside the 285 loop? Just feeding a potential bubble, is my take.

Not a millenial, but not old enough to be signing it all away either. I personally think that the OP is trying to drum up business so he/she can move the heck out and sell that property for more than the inflated price they paid in the early mid 1990's. This is what the generation who wants to rid themselves of the suburbanization and white flight of those days. When gentrification took hold in the inner city neighborhoods, those residents had to go somewhere. In Atlanta metro, this is where they went. It's reversing itself now, as the cost of commuting, time lost, and inner city decay is shunned. In other metros, Los Angeles is one I'm familiar with, they shuttled all the low rent folks out to San Bernardino and Riverside, so they could build up near the coast. No one who has lived in those communities for 30 or 40 years is happy about it. But this is what the white flight of the 1960's and 1970's has wrought. Lesson possibly learned.

Clayton has always been the affordable working middle class community of Atlanta, even during the 90s and prior to that. The homes weren't that over-inflated there in the '90s. The main bubble, in any case, has more to do with period in time that the school system lost accreditation and the fact that the lower middle to middle-middle class got hit harder in the recession than the upper middle class. When they acquire the funds to invest in homes again prices will rise to pre-existing levels.

Now for some in the area, it is true some might be looking for an exit strategy due to social changes in the area over the last decade or two, but despite the changes Clayton had a good amount of low to moderately housing options growing in the area during these changes too.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:39 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
You can look up all the stats and "ratings" you want but it doesn't change the fact that Clayton is one of, if not the worst areas of metro Atlanta.
So stats dont matter?
I live here after moving back 4 years ago living abroad and then Downtown Atlanta and I can promise you its the quietest place you could live.My parents bought this house in 1987.I also went to Morrow High in 87-88.
They moved back to middle Georgia where I am originally from and gave me the house just off Stagecoach Rd.
Yes there is a change in demographics and income levels but its hardly s bad as you make it sound.
I like the diversity,the access to the city,low cost of living and much less traffic.

Gwinnett and Dekalb county are all over the news with government corruption but thoe are overlooked.
Never mind the fact that several of the schools in Dekalb, Fulton and a couple in Cobb and Gwinnett are on the states list for takeover if this bill passes but Clayton has none.

Clayton has been rebounding as of late and the progress is encouraging but some people will never acknowledge that..

The only place in Clayton I personally would not live is Riverdale and Forest Park.Even then I dont think those laces are terrible but they due have crime issues and Riverdale traffic is just too much for me.

Clayton County schools no longer among state's worst | www.myajc.com

Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
The reality is that Clayton is a dump and I will do everything in my power to let potential new residents know it is a dump and that it would be in their best interest to look elsewhere.
Its one thing not to like something and its ok but to ignore facts is quite ignorant

Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So stats dont matter?

Gwinnett and Dekalb county are all over the news with government corruption but thoe are overlooked.
Never mind the fact that several of the schools in Dekalb, Fulton and a couple in Cobb and Gwinnett are on the states list for takeover if this bill passes but Clayton has none.
Be very careful at turning this into a Clayton vs. __Insert Other counties here__ argument. You will lose many friends at the main point you're trying to make.

First, I don't think Dekalb has been overlooked in the slightest in the context you made this comment. I think many have shunned Dekalb's schools and county government. Many have put it down, sometimes justly and sometimes unjustly.

Gwinnett hasn't had near the problems Clayton has had. Gwinnett had a much larger award winning school system when Clayton had some pretty drastic accreditation issues. Gwinnett also did that with the state's largest school system and the nation's 15th largest. Sure, issues pop up and no place is immune from problems, but largely Gwinnett is well managed with award winning parks and schools and has an affluent population in parts of the county overall. Of course with a system that large, Gwinnett certainly has areas with more problems and areas with less problems, as well as areas with more affluence and areas with less affluence too.

Most of the corruption usually involved land deals the county needed or favorable zoning for a select few, but the services output have remained pretty high with low to moderate costs. The problem Clayton faced was a large one that affected the services issued. Don't confuse the two or treat it as the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear more discussion about the greater merits of Clayton County and their improvements some people may overlook, but if you want to make this county vs. county and overlook the success of others you will run into problems.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Be very careful at turning this into a Clayton vs. __Insert Other counties here__ argument. You will lose many friends at the main point you're trying to make.

First, I don't think Dekalb has been overlooked in the slightest in the context you made this comment. I think many have shunned Dekalb's schools and county government. Many have put it down, sometimes justly and sometimes unjustly.

Gwinnett hasn't had near the problems Clayton has had. Gwinnett had a much larger award winning school system when Clayton had some pretty drastic accreditation issues. Gwinnett also did that with the state's largest school system and the nation's 15th largest. Sure, issues pop up and no place is immune from problems, but largely Gwinnett is well managed with award winning parks and schools and has an affluent population in parts of the county overall. Of course with a system that large, Gwinnett certainly has areas with more problems and areas with less problems, as well as areas with more affluence and areas with less affluence too.

Most of the corruption usually involved land deals the county needed or favorable zoning for a select few, but the services output have remained pretty high with low to moderate costs. The problem Clayton faced was a large one that affected the services issued. Don't confuse the two or treat it as the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear more discussion about the greater merits of Clayton County and their improvements some people may overlook, but if you want to make this county vs. county and overlook the success of others you will run into problems.
I was just showing contrast.Gangs EVERYBODY knows Gwinnett is the worst.Clayton is nowhere near the top in the metro.

I dont think anyone would suggest or think that Clayton out performs Gwinnett. Of course it does not but people like the poster will defy any statistics and facts just to support their own bias.
Thats so wrong.Sure Clayton has problems but hardly as bad as its often been portrayed.

Many people have never even stepped foot in Clayton or its been years and they wont let the past die.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:

I understand that we don't want to make enemies but many of the posters here put Clayton down by comparing to counties that aren't any better. It's irrational. We all suffer from the same problems, yet somehow ALL of Clayton is bad, and EVERYTHING about Clayton is portrayed as bad. I went to Forest Park High as a freshman and now go to Banneker as a junior and I can say first hand that Fulton Schools aren't better than Clayton, and Clayton has better overall school support than Fulton who has two drastically different areas to cover. Clayton also does a better job at updating infrastructure and Clayton supports it's unincorporated areas. Clayton has attracted many new jobs and retailers lately and Clayton State University is continuously growing. Clayton is one of the most diverse counties,yet no one wants to accept that. They never give a county a chance because of a perception that isn't true.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM

253 posts, read 304,454 times
Oh for goodness sake, let's stop playing the "my county is better than your county" game, folks. It's so unhelpful.

I'm a millennial with two children newly adopted from foster care and a very active dog. We very much want our own home with a nice yard where we can stretch and grow and attach as a family. I have to buy where we can afford, which means I'm not going to be living in North Fulton or Forsyth counties where some of the better schools are located. Threads like this one are so helpful in helping me figure out where my family will set down roots. Most of my research typically comes up with a long list of reasons why I shouldn't live in X city or Y county or Z neighborhood. It's a breath of fresh air to have someone come in and work to really sell a city that I can actually afford to live in.

If you find that your own county or city or neighborhood is great, I'd love to hear about it. Start a thread! Sell it! Thanks actually useful for people, not this us vs them nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta