U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:29 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,633,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
NOLA has major problems, one, being below sea level, this place will not be around in 50-100 years, possibly sooner.
We'd never allow that to happen. It is alive and ticking. The amount of money and engineering we have put into an outer storm surge protection system is phenomenal.

A few points... it is not all below sea level and large parts of it are only below sea level by small amounts It will be easy to keep the city around for the near history (beyond 100 years).

A more pressing issue is keeping the wetlands in place that help protect it from hurricanes. We have channelized the Mississippi so much the silt and sediments that build the area up are no longer there. This is more important for the oil ports south of New Orleans in Plaqumines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
New Orleans does not compare well to Atlanta in any way, I love New Orleans to visit to live would be a nightmare. I would love to move to the ATL thou, its a great city for business, their economy is really good for my field.
New Orleans is a polarized city. It has some beautiful places to live... if you have the money.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Or is it strictly relegated to sports?
What would be interesting is if you, an outsider to both, asked this in the New Orleans forums to see what different reactions you'd get. Sadly, it might not pan out well. The New Orleans forum doesn't seem very active.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:35 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,870,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
We'd never allow that to happen. It is alive and ticking. The amount of money and engineering we have put into an outer storm surge protection system is phenomenal.

A few points... it is not all below sea level and large parts of it are only below sea level by small amounts It will be easy to keep the city around for the near history (beyond 100 years).

A more pressing issue is keeping the wetlands in place that help protect it from hurricanes. We have channelized the Mississippi so much the silt and sediments that build the area up are no longer there. This is more important for the oil ports south of New Orleans in Plaqumines.
Gulf eats away at coast outside levee-protected New Orleans

http://www.startribune.com/gulf-eats...ans/321846541/

Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 PM

22,775 posts, read 34,810,403 times
This has come up before.
The answer is still no.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,587,051 times
Quote:
New Orleans does not compare well to Atlanta in any way, I love New Orleans to visit to live would be a nightmare. I would love to move to the ATL thou, its a great city for business, their economy is really good for my field.
I lived there for a year. It's a beautiful city and a wonderful place to live if you can afford it. When I was ready to buy a house I picked Atlanta because I could get more for my money, though.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:12 PM

29,668 posts, read 27,103,954 times
Quote:
Not true. In terms of tourism, conventions, and sporting events, the two match up pretty well as NOLA punches well above its weight in that category.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not true. In terms of tourism, conventions, and sporting events, the two match up pretty well as NOLA punches well above its weight in that category.
Well in terms of conventions directly, Atlanta is more of a heavy player. We have larger and more well-rounded convention options with more (and cheaper) range of hotel and air fare.

New Orleans has the unique historical city that attracts more traditional... 'I just want to see the city' type of tourism and it gets good traffic from medium-size conventions that feed into that interest, but many of the larger ones will turn away at the higher costs or will simply be more interested in the trade of merchandise/doing business and will turn away from NOLA as well.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM

29,668 posts, read 27,103,954 times
Quote:
Well in terms of conventions directly, Atlanta is more of a heavy player. We have larger and more well-rounded convention options with more (and cheaper) range of hotel and air fare.

New Orleans has the unique historical city that attracts more traditional... 'I just want to see the city' type of tourism and it gets good traffic from medium-size conventions that feed into that interest, but many of the larger ones will turn away at the higher costs or will simply be more interested in the trade of merchandise/doing business and will turn away from NOLA as well.
I think trade shows in particular--which are typically larger-scale--do better in Atlanta, but NOLA serves conventions for professional, civic, religious, etc. organizations quite well.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM

549 posts, read 565,654 times
Quote:
What would be interesting is if you, an outsider to both, asked this in the New Orleans forums to see what different reactions you'd get. Sadly, it might not pan out well. The New Orleans forum doesn't seem very active.
I don't consider myself an outsider in either place - I have family in both cities and visit both quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or