U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,833,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Others have given the long answer. If you're capable of reading, you'd see that.

I don't know what your problem is, but I suggest finding a solution very soon.
Ohhhhhh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 PM

346 posts, read 287,819 times
Rivalries don't have to involve dislike (like in football). I think an example of a "friendly" rivalry that exists now is in the film and TV business. Louisiana and Georgia are two of the biggest players.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM

561 posts, read 486,901 times
Like others have said, only between our respective NFL teams. And I'm doubtful that rivalry will be pacified by Mercedes and their moustache-stroking evil genius decision to name our football stadium the same thing as New Orleans' stadium.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:58 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
Rivalries don't have to involve dislike (like in football). I think an example of a "friendly" rivalry that exists now is in the film and TV business. Louisiana and Georgia are two of the biggest players.
That rivalry is falling by the wayside since Louisiana drastically scaled back their incentives for the industry.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:48 AM

550 posts, read 570,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That rivalry is falling by the wayside since Louisiana drastically scaled back their incentives for the industry.
So Louisiana will go the way of North Carolina?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:31 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
It's not quite that drastic; NC let its tax incentive program expire altogether, while Louisiana put a cap on tax incentives for films at $180 million I believe. Still, Georgia's program a quite a bit more generous so it will have the obvious advantage here for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 AM

6,562 posts, read 7,674,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Probably. I think they will always be able to attract a limited amount of productions that want to use NOLA or wetlands as a part of the story line. They did exist prior to tax credits.

However, I don't see them competing well without the tax credits at attracting most projects.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,816,205 times
[quote=Tyler_Jolie-Pitt;40891914]Or is it strictly relegated to sports?[/QUOTE

I posted my thoughts on it earlier but having lived both places, I'm curious about why you thought there might be. Aside from the Saints vs Falcons thing, where else do you see any attempt whatsoever? I find no similarity at all between Atlanta and New Orleans so cannot imagine why there would be a rivalry. What are your thoughts on what at all the rivalry (aside from football) could involve?

Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 PM

4,216 posts, read 3,587,190 times
NOLA get the super bowl a lot, but I'm sure that will change with our Mercedes Dome.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,816,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
NOLA get the super bowl a lot, but I'm sure that will change with our Mercedes Dome.
It could, but New Orleans is actually a big ole bowl of fun.

If I want to shop, find a lucrative job, and buy a big house for less than the norm, then Atlanta is the place to be.

If I want some debauchery, great food, and just a good time 24 hrs, then New Orleans would be the better choice of the two.

I am an Atlantan since I've been here so long now, and I never understood the need to compare us to other cities. I especially don't understand the need to compare us to cities that are nothing like us. It reeks of insecurity. We're not NYC, we're not the Hollywood of the south, we're not the Motown of the south, and we will never be NOLA-like.

Can't we just forge our own identity? It just reeks of insecurity to always be worried about whether your city is better than another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or