U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 PM

4,368 posts, read 3,529,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Car fire between Moore's Mill and Howell Mill exits. Heard on the WSB radio stream this morning.

I heard about it and checked traffic. Boy was it a doozie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
They probably notice at the last minute that it is struggling and can't make it over.

No delays this morning for me. Best option since I dropped my commute on the top end. My days are so much better.

Big L, I don't know how you do the drive on 78. I never realized how many people in Central Gwinnett drive to 78 in the morning.
I did the 78 commute once when my sister lived right off 78 near Grayson/Loganville. I left at 845 am and got VERY lucky with the lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 PM

139 posts, read 114,240 times
I noticed too. Usually by Wednesday its lighter on my commute, but not today.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 AM

1,061 posts, read 918,169 times
There was a stall in the center lane of the connector at 17th around 9am, and it doubled my normal commute time. There was also a stall on I-20 West into the city.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 AM

1,779 posts, read 1,837,774 times
Actually my kid's school sent out an email on Tuesday that there was a control box out a the W. Paces/Northside Dr. intersection and that there would be delays. If folks knew about that issue at W. Paces, it probably sent a lot of traffic onto alternate routes such as W. Wesley and Moores Mill.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM

23,246 posts, read 17,447,481 times
Better get used to worsening traffic. As the continues to get better and population growth continues traffic will get worse.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM

845 posts, read 1,153,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
They probably notice at the last minute that it is struggling and can't make it over.

No delays this morning for me. Best option since I dropped my commute on the top end. My days are so much better.

Big L, I don't know how you do the drive on 78. I never realized how many people in Central Gwinnett drive to 78 in the morning.
It was never a great drive, but it is actually worse now that it was when we first moved to Gwinnett nearly 6 years ago. A lot of the foreclosures and short sales in Snellville/Grayson/Loganville were snatched up, so that put more cars on the road during rush hour.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,177,826 times
Bottom line, we need to expand Marta. Expand it's current footprint and expand into Cobb and Gwinnett. Also need commuter rails.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Bottom line, we need to expand Marta. Expand it's current footprint and expand into Cobb and Gwinnett. Also need commuter rails.
When those counties approve the MARTA sales tax, then MARTA would be glad to serve it's original intended purpose.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 766,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
When those counties approve the MARTA sales tax, then MARTA would be glad to serve it's original intended purpose.
Yes, you gotta pay to play, fully agree.

I think, though, that Cobb and Gwinnett's reluctance to join MARTA in this day and age has much less to do with NIMBYism or fear of rail transit bringing crime. Admittedly, a small but vocal minority loudly states those absurd opinions, but I think the much bigger reason for reluctance to vote for a tax is that people want to know what, exactly, they'll get for their tax dollars. It's pretty easy to look at Alpharetta, Milton, the Emory area, South DeKalb, where they've been paying MARTA sales taxes for decades and are still sitting there with no rail transit. Yes, there are plans to extend the Red Line, but that's still quite a ways off. So I think that people in Cobb and Gwinnett see that and think, "OK, if I vote for this tax, will I even see the rail connection happen in my lifetime, whether I pay in or not? Or will I just end up with a re-branded CCT network that now provides the added bonus of running on Sundays?" Shoot, I would fully support the tax and joining MARTA and even I have those concerns.

If a comprehensive plan with a firm timeline is put in front of the voters, I think it would stand a decent chance (and, admittedly, perhaps a slightly better one in Gwinnett than in Cobb). However, "Vote for this tax and MARTA will take care of the rest" without a solid plan with an aggressive timeline won't cut it, I'm afraid.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Yes, you gotta pay to play, fully agree.

I think, though, that Cobb and Gwinnett's reluctance to join MARTA in this day and age has much less to do with NIMBYism or fear of rail transit bringing crime. Admittedly, a small but vocal minority loudly states those absurd opinions, but I think the much bigger reason for reluctance to vote for a tax is that people want to know what, exactly, they'll get for their tax dollars. It's pretty easy to look at Alpharetta, Milton, the Emory area, South DeKalb, where they've been paying MARTA sales taxes for decades and are still sitting there with no rail transit. Yes, there are plans to extend the Red Line, but that's still quite a ways off. So I think that people in Cobb and Gwinnett see that and think, "OK, if I vote for this tax, will I even see the rail connection happen in my lifetime, whether I pay in or not? Or will I just end up with a re-branded CCT network that now provides the added bonus of running on Sundays?" Shoot, I would fully support the tax and joining MARTA and even I have those concerns.

If a comprehensive plan with a firm timeline is put in front of the voters, I think it would stand a decent chance (and, admittedly, perhaps a slightly better one in Gwinnett than in Cobb). However, "Vote for this tax and MARTA will take care of the rest" without a solid plan with an aggressive timeline won't cut it, I'm afraid.
How well the Clayton rail-based transit project goes, will be a telling sign to other counties about what and how projects will get built for their tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta