U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 1,428,335 times

Advertisements

If we really want to be Technical, Atlanta was even ahead of Los Angeles in the Heavy Rail/Subway game and LA is the Nations 2nd Largest City. In recent decade or decades past has LA really built into its Subway system and it's still not at the level of Marta. Their focus was mainly LRT in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
bu2

9,985 posts, read 6,431,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If there was one singular thing that put Atlanta well ahead of the pack, it was the airport.
This ^.

MARTA was pretty minor in the scheme of things, if it was relevant at all.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 1,428,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Airport, sunbelt, cheap land. Most of the growth until recently has been outside of the city and largely outside of an rail line's influence. You can kinda count the 400 corridor but that's just partial service. Had probably no effect (I can't imagine how it would) on Cobb or Cherokee, same with most of Gwinnett, parts of Hall, Forsyth, Barrow counties. Same with the rest of the metro. It seems like it's only been the last 10 years or so that intown and near MARTA has been a priority for a sizable amount of people. Yes, there were always those that wanted that, but most wanted away.
Marta HRT was a kinda birth of sorts, i guess you could say. All other massive suburban growth kinda came as an After affect. For Example Huge Corp., Office Towers built up DownTown, Midtown, and Buckhead areas around Marta Stations. People from the North East, Midwest, etc., places that didnt have to be car dependent movde to places like Dekalb Co. and inside I-285 back in the late 80's early 90's in Apartments with or with out cars to take advantage of job opportunities, and transit layout. Others who already had Vehicles may have moved to the Outer Suburbs that not necessary needed Transit just to take advantage of Atlanta's growing job market as an affect of Marta helping to bring these corpations in. As time went on over the years those inner ring areas deteriorated and a lot of people moved outside of I 285 to more suburban and exurban areas as their conditions improved, got vehicle in search of better, this kinda occured with white flight and before 1996. There were a few other factors that happend as well and i consider them the different erras of growth for Atlanta like the Olympics and most recent, Hurricane Katrina... Most people may not want to be or live near it but Marta and the Airport are the reason why over half if not more of Metro Atlants residents are here to this day. This is only my opinion but my strong belief.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:11 PM

23,381 posts, read 17,555,378 times
Perimeter Center would not be the major edge center it is without MARTA rail. It would be on the same level as Cumberland without rail, it has set it apart.
MARTA helped Atlanta land the Olympics.
Also, it has helped Atlanta be a major convention destination. Yes, Orlando is as well and does not have rail, but having direct rail access from downtown to HJIA has helped.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:17 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,166,359 times
It's definitely one of the factors. The fact that MARTA provides a direct rail connection to all three major business districts from the world's busiest airport helps drive business here. It was also one of the major reasons the IOC selected Atlanta to host the Olympics, which of course drove it's own growth.

As far as driving the residential population, MARTA had the unfortunate happenstance of being built right as the city center was losing population (like pretty much every big city in the East), so there wasn't time to build around it.

Fortunately, MARTA was built to be easily augmented. As the streetcars and Beltline come on line, and residential infill continues, it's going to be an amazing experience. We are very fortunate that we will not need to go back and build a system as we densify like LA is now trying to do...at great cost.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,805,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Let's be honest here, was Marta Heavy Rail Subway Inception and Creation back in the late 70's the reason Atlanta is the Major Metro Area it is today? Was it the Major Reason It blew way past it's counter parts in the South of Compairable size like Birmingham, Louisville, etc. Was it the reason so many North Eastern and Midwesterns flocked to Atlanta, especially during the late 80's and Early 90's, especially to Dekalb County... (It was a Southern City with a Subway System), Comfortable and reasonable. Did this HRT Subway Infrastructue Attract Mega Business and a Constant High Rise Office Tower Expolsion.. In my Honest Opinion, i think so... As hard as Marta has proving itself to the region, it is Truly Atlanta's back bone and Atlanta or Georgia would not be what it is today with out Marta HRT.... This would be a Totally different place period.
*The* major reason? No way. That would be the airport. Without the airport we might be Brimingham. Without MARTA-HR, we might not have gotten the Olympics--so it's probably had a significant impact. But, even that is debatable--there is no serious argument to be made against the airport's impact.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,831,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Let's be honest here, was Marta Heavy Rail Subway Inception and Creation back in the late 70's the reason Atlanta is the Major Metro Area it is today? Was it the Major Reason It blew way past it's counter parts in the South of Compairable size like Birmingham, Louisville, etc. Was it the reason so many North Eastern and Midwesterns flocked to Atlanta, especially during the late 80's and Early 90's, especially to Dekalb County... (It was a Southern City with a Subway System), Comfortable and reasonable. Did this HRT Subway Infrastructue Attract Mega Business and a Constant High Rise Office Tower Expolsion.. In my Honest Opinion, i think so... As hard as Marta has proving itself to the region, it is Truly Atlanta's back bone and Atlanta or Georgia would not be what it is today with out Marta HRT.... This would be a Totally different place period.
Ill say, its the reason I moved here. It was a major deciding factor. This coming from some who owns three cars. I never understood the anti rail not my taxes crowd. They hurt more than they help. Rail is always good for the future, the future is something that will always happen.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,637,404 times
Good points on landing the Olympics. But I don't think it has been a major factor in overall development. But I think it will grow to be a much bigger factor in the near future.

If we didn't have something like MARTA now, we would be in serious panic mode to come up with alternatives to deal with current and growing congestion. Companies are looking to move close to transit, I don't think we would be as big of a player as we are now with tech and other "millennial" companies.

Having MARTA is a bigger deal now than ever. We got a serious investment in the future back in the 70s, we should be very thankful for the people that made it possible.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Just imagine if the original MARTA agreement had prevailed....oh well. Atlanta's still much better off with what it currently has.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 PM
bu2

9,985 posts, read 6,431,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Good points on landing the Olympics. But I don't think it has been a major factor in overall development. But I think it will grow to be a much bigger factor in the near future.

If we didn't have something like MARTA now, we would be in serious panic mode to come up with alternatives to deal with current and growing congestion. Companies are looking to move close to transit, I don't think we would be as big of a player as we are now with tech and other "millennial" companies.

Having MARTA is a bigger deal now than ever. We got a serious investment in the future back in the 70s, we should be very thankful for the people that made it possible.
Yes. Great thanks go to the other 49 states! With a special thanks to Seattle for turning it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or