U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,810,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Some of the Growth, YES but all of the Growth and the way it occured wouldnt have happened without Marta. Even the diverse pockets and Neighborhoods in the inner 285 ring is an effect of Marta HRT... Atlanta would be big, but not as Huge.
Part of that "Huge" is the "suburban sprawl" that is so derided on this forum. MARTA-HR made it easier for folks to abandon Dekalb County and move to Gwinnett. Up until the mid-90s, I think MARTA-HR was more of a mixed bag, as far as its positive impact on the city/Dekalb and Fulton counties. From the mid-90s forward it transitioned to a total positive of increasing significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:17 PM
bu2

10,074 posts, read 6,460,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Part of that "Huge" is the "suburban sprawl" that is so derided on this forum. MARTA-HR made it easier for folks to abandon Dekalb County and move to Gwinnett. Up until the mid-90s, I think MARTA-HR was more of a mixed bag, as far as its positive impact on the city/Dekalb and Fulton counties. From the mid-90s forward it transitioned to a total positive of increasing significance.
How did it make it easier to abandon DeKalb and move to Gwinnett? I don't understand your idea.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:55 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,716,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
How did it make it easier to abandon DeKalb and move to Gwinnett? I don't understand your idea.
Perhaps white flight brought on by the stupid notion of "public transit brings crime" that was commonly held years ago?

I agree that MARTA has had a moderate influence on shaping Atlanta into the city/metro it is today, but it's going to have a much more significant role in shaping Atlanta into the city that it's going to become. Look at development patterns. It was a shrewd investment in the region's future in the 70's and, considering the political climate of this state and large swath of the metro, a small miracle it was built.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 PM

145 posts, read 125,473 times
There's a difference between why people visit Atlanta versus why they live here. Cost of living is a huge factor, as well as the ability to obtain cheap land. Finally, the climate of the region is very attractive feature for someone who is tired of living up north in the winters.

What I do agree with is MARTA having an indirect impact. As mentioned, it was helpful in winning the Olympic bid, which in-turn, introduced Atlanta to the world stage. People came to check it out, liked what they saw, and made the decision to move here. It's why you see more Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox fans at Turner field when they're in-town.

Think about the economics of moving from NYC to Atlanta. It's powerfully motivating.

When I moved back here from DFW, my COLA went up materially. Texas is one of the cheapest places to live. But the environment is lacking, especially seasonality.

Let's also not forget the impact that colleges have on growing populations. How many folks moved to Atlanta for schooling at GT, Emory or Morehouse? A lot of those graduates end up staying and not moving back home. This has an interesting ability to attract more economic growth as new companies and industries are built out of this crowd. It's also, as we've seen recently, bringing newer companies from other locations.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:28 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,810,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Just made it easier to commute to the city, and live further out. I remember complaints in the 80s about all of the Gwinnett County tags in the MARTA parking lots, and how they were not paying into the system. Even while the discussion of light rail/heavy rail for the Clifton Corridor is a big ITP thing--the biggest beneficiaries, commute-wise, are going to be the folks that live furthest out--more folks keeping their commute times under an hour--"under an hour" is much less of an issue if you live in Candler Park or Decatur (but if you live close-in you may get another train in your back yard).

Last edited by jeoff; 09-05-2015 at 04:07 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 850,016 times
Quote:
Just made it easier to commute to the city, and live further out. I remember complaints in the 80s about all of the Gwinnett County tags in the MARTA parking lots, and how they were not paying into the system. Even while the discussion of light rail/heavy rail for the Clifton Corridor is a big ITP thing--the biggest beneficiaries, commute-wise, are going to be the folks that live furthest out--more folks keeping their commute times under an hour--"under an hour" is much less of an issue if you live in Candler Park or Decatur (but if you live close-in you may get another train in your back yard).
Oh, that's still the case today. Commuting to and from Doraville every day, there are tons of vehicles with Gwinnett plates.

- skbl17

Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,436,853 times
Quote:
This kind of thing has always been a issue in big Metropolitan Areas. The issue of the Suburbanites using City services period, not just Transit but not paying into services used, this includes some utilities used while in the city at work...

Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,436,853 times
I have to honestly say HRT has played a major role in the way ATL has grown. Atlanta is actually kinda Fortunate to have HRT, where a lot of much larger Cities like Houston and Dallas still dont have. Especially to be a Southern City

Old 10-30-2015, 11:27 AM

6,359 posts, read 3,432,951 times
Heavy rail was a window in time that ended by the early 90's, and we're lucky to be one of the few cities to get in on it, before it got extremely expensive, and light rail became the standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Old 10-30-2015, 12:34 PM

23,445 posts, read 17,594,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I have to honestly say HRT has played a major role in the way ATL has grown. Atlanta is actually kinda Fortunate to have HRT, where a lot of much larger Cities like Houston and Dallas still dont have. Especially to be a Southern City
HRT is what separates Atlanta from Dallas, Houston, Denver, Portland, and other cities playing catch up with LRT transit systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or