U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,423 posts, read 16,991,244 times
Reputation: 9513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm in San Francisco right now and it makes me appreciate MARTA all the more. SF is an amazing city, but BART is in major need of an overhaul. Also, in today's NY Times, there's an article about the major trouble WMATA is in. People complain about MARTA, but right now we're sitting pretty compared to other transit systems.
With the truly *shocking* recent shutdown of the DC Metro (and yet ANOTHER Amtrak crash/derailment) I get the feeling that the nation's entire urban transit system is in deeper doo-doo than anybody wants to admit ... A full-scale bailout / cash infusion by the Feds is probably the only way to fix a lot of these systems and could end up boosting MARTA's fortunes.

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-05-2016 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,554 posts, read 3,051,252 times
Reputation: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
With the truly *shocking* recent shutdown of the DC Metro (and yet ANOTHER Amtrak crash/derailment) I get the feeling that the nation's entire urban transit system is in deeper doo-doo than anybody wants to admit ... A full-scale bailout / cash infusion by the Feds is probably the only way to fix a lot of these systems and could end up boosting MARTA's fortunes.
You're scarily close to exactly correct, though it is worth noting that the Amtrak Palmetto derailment was because a track crew was on the wrong line, and hadn't notified / set the signals correctly. We'll see what the NTSB report says about it in a while.


The 2013 Infrastructure Report Card gave the U.S. an average of D+. They estimated an investment of $3.5 Trillion between 2013 and 2020 to bring the national infrastructure up to a state of good repair.

National Transit was a D

National Roadway was a D

National Railway was a C+


We've been resting on our laurels for so long as a country, we forgot just what it takes to maintain ourselves. Granted, it's not that we don't have the resources, money, knowledge, and expertise to deal with it, but it DOES require political will on the part of our leaders. In such a do nothing congress (on both sides) and with such extremism brewing in the county, I can't imagine it'll get really adressed until bridges or dams start collapsing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,446 posts, read 17,605,841 times
Reputation: 5430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm in San Francisco right now and it makes me appreciate MARTA all the more. SF is an amazing city, but BART is in major need of an overhaul. Also, in today's NY Times, there's an article about the major trouble WMATA is in. People complain about MARTA, but right now we're sitting pretty compared to other transit systems.
BART is overcrowded and has the oldest railcars in operation.
WMATA focused too much on expansion and did not focus on maintaining it's existing rail lines, sound familiar to the nations road infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,148 posts, read 1,438,540 times
Reputation: 1613
Flowing back to the Original Topic and maybe a little off Topic at the same time but I have to be honest. I have to say that the Music Industry and Rap music had a strong influence on the Growth and Culture of Metro Atlanta, mainly in the 90's and Early 2000's. OUTKAST being the #1 factor in the Music Department. Music,,,Not so much Today though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,513 posts, read 1,628,476 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Flowing back to the Original Topic and maybe a little off Topic at the same time but I have to be honest. I have to say that the Music Industry and Rap music had a strong influence on the Growth and Culture of Metro Atlanta, mainly in the 90's and Early 2000's. OUTKAST being the #1 factor in the Music Department. Music,,,Not so much Today though.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that considering how music particularly music from black recording artists and entertainers come here to Atlanta before they go to NYC, LA, or Miami to record their newest efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,841,701 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Flowing back to the Original Topic and maybe a little off Topic at the same time but I have to be honest. I have to say that the Music Industry and Rap music had a strong influence on the Growth and Culture of Metro Atlanta, mainly in the 90's and Early 2000's. OUTKAST being the #1 factor in the Music Department. Music,,,Not so much Today though.
growth and culture? Thats a culture I am ashamed of. I dont like most of that hip hop/reality show culture. Atlanta has many great things going for it. Hiphop not so much. RIP Bankroll Fresh #BLM....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 01:38 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Um...yeah...Cobb's growth would have really taken off.
Not sure what your point is here in relation to my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,148 posts, read 1,438,540 times
Reputation: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
growth and culture? Thats a culture I am ashamed of. I dont like most of that hip hop/reality show culture. Atlanta has many great things going for it. Hiphop not so much. RIP Bankroll Fresh #BLM....
Yes,,, I despise that Reality TV stuff myself and hate the image it gives our City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top