U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,656,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I take it you've never driven from Clarkston or Stone Mountain to town! They have some of the worst commutes in the area not involving GA400. Largely because of the Emory area congestion.
And what are your low priced alternatives? It's a shorter commute than any place outside of Fulton or Dekalb. (I have lived in both Stone-Mountain Clarkston and Lilburn). Also, many folks are living way far out (heck, I know someone that has been commuting from Athens, GA to the CDC for twenty years!). In the world of super-stinky commutes---a just plain old stinky commute should be king!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:57 PM
bu2

9,019 posts, read 5,736,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
And what are your low priced alternatives? It's a shorter commute than any place outside of Fulton or Dekalb. (I have lived in both Stone-Mountain Clarkston and Lilburn). Also, many folks are living way far out (heck, I know someone that has been commuting from Athens, GA to the CDC for twenty years!). In the world of super-stinky commutes---a just plain old stinky commute should be king!
Anyplace else in Fulton or DeKalb? Maybe Rockdale, Clayton and Douglas Counties? Half of Cobb and the inner I-85 corridor in Gwinnett?

Clarkston and Stone Mountain really suffered from the Stone Mountain Freeway not being completed.
And the Northlake MARTA that would have benefitted that area got cancelled as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,656,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Anyplace else in Fulton or DeKalb? Maybe Rockdale, Clayton and Douglas Counties? Half of Cobb and the inner I-85 corridor in Gwinnett?

Clarkston and Stone Mountain really suffered from the Stone Mountain Freeway not being completed.
And the Northlake MARTA that would have benefitted that area got cancelled as well.
*Maybe* better to downtown, but to Emory-CDC? No, I don't think so.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM

5,010 posts, read 3,508,640 times
Quote:
*Maybe* better to downtown, but to Emory-CDC? No, I don't think so.
The Tucker-North DeKalb Line that got canned was supposed to have a station near Emory.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:49 PM

22,244 posts, read 16,289,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The Tucker-North DeKalb Line that got canned was supposed to have a station near Emory.
That line would have been great and could have transformed Northlake into an edge city.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM

743 posts, read 655,233 times
Quote:
The post that I was replying to stated that residents should be "jumping for joy" due to an increase in property values due to MARTA going through Emory neighborhoods--which was based on a NJ-Manhattan comparison. I doubt that property values in Manhattan went up due to increased access to a town in NJ--and I doubt that this is going to help home values in the Emory area either. This project is designed to increase access to the Emory-CDC job center--and the Emory neighborhoods--which is a good thing--but, really Emory, the Feds, and other metro counties should be footing more of the costs/contributing to MARTA, as opposed to just Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton counties. Heck, maybe it would be better for Dekalb if this doesn't happen--it might inspire some folks to move back to the Stone Mountain-Clarkston area to have a less awful commute!
Yeah, I understand that, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. Emory is neither NJ nor Manhattan. People living in Manhattan could care less about better access to NJ. People living in the Emory area however would benefit greatly from having better access to Midtown (as well as Buckhead, Downtown, Perimeter, etc).

Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM

9,956 posts, read 6,959,813 times
I know it was delayed by lack of funding but does anyone know the history of what happened to the plans for the Tucker-North DeKalb line and why they were scrapped in favor of this Clifton Corridor route? Was there neighborhood opposition to that route?

There is still a stub tunnel for that line: world.nycsubway.org: MARTA Provisions

Old 09-17-2015, 03:26 PM

5,010 posts, read 3,508,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I know it was delayed by lack of funding but does anyone know the history of what happened to the plans for the Tucker-North DeKalb line and why they were scrapped in favor of this Clifton Corridor route? Was there neighborhood opposition to that route?

There is still a stub tunnel for that line: world.nycsubway.org: MARTA Provisions
Yep. Local residents along the planned ROW didn't want HRT trains constantly running through their backyards.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:42 PM

188 posts, read 122,561 times
There is no ridership projection that supports HRT as a viable option. The ridership projects make LRT a stretch.

Read the MARTA report from a few years back. The projected ridership does not support the assertion that this is a 'high priority' corridor.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 2,951,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
There is no ridership projection that supports HRT as a viable option. The ridership projects make LRT a stretch.

Read the MARTA report from a few years back. The projected ridership does not support the assertion that this is a 'high priority' corridor.
Sorry, but that's a dumb attitude. Build it, and they will come, is a better one. Lay down the heavy rail transit infrastructure to support what is there + more, then more stuff (TOD) will be able to be built around the new stations, justifying them and then some. Plan for the future, and future growth.

Yes, a HRT station at Cheshire Bridge for example seems a little overkill right now, but you could build a bunch of dense apartments and mixed use right along side it while constructing it.

I just think that, looking at Lindbergh station for example, it makes no sense to have a light rail go right next door to it or something. It is a train station, built for heavy rail trains. Let's make that the technology as all these various planned MARTA expansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or