U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,981 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790

Advertisements

There are high-priority corridors for transit expansion, now and in the future. The Clifton Corridor is only one of them. If they can't get their **** together, hey, the other corridors would be more than happy to stand in line in front of them.

It'd be a real shame, though, for NIMBYs to keep one of the single most important organizations on the planet and its nearby university from having transit access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 AM
 
188 posts, read 122,498 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
There are high-priority corridors for transit expansion, now and in the future. The Clifton Corridor is only one of them. If they can't get their **** together, hey, the other corridors would be more than happy to stand in line in front of them.

It'd be a real shame, though, for NIMBYs to keep one of the single most important organizations on the planet and its nearby university from having transit access.
Are the neighbors doing that or is the like of projected ridership?
If this really was a high priority transit corridor there would be more projected riders and wider public support. As it is now, it is a half-assed plan, on a half-assed transit corridor. It doesn't deserve any of this attention it is getting.

-DirkMcGirt out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 PM
 
309 posts, read 595,799 times
Reputation: 194
If they were to go the HRT route, they could create increase ridership by rerouting the either the Red or Gold line away from the highly-inefficient Red/Gold conjunction to the Clifton corridor and connect with the Green line via the Blue line track at East Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,044 posts, read 804,600 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Are the neighbors doing that or is the like of projected ridership?
If this really was a high priority transit corridor there would be more projected riders and wider public support. As it is now, it is a half-assed plan, on a half-assed transit corridor. It doesn't deserve any of this attention it is getting.

-DirkMcGirt out
Nope, I haven't read anything that suggests that the Briarcliff/Morningside NIMBYs are opposing this primarily because of ridership projections, it's more because of noise issues. It's like protesting the construction of a commercial airport; NIMBYs don't protest those on the basis of "low passenger volume projections".

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,981 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
If they were to go the HRT route, they could create increase ridership by rerouting the either the Red or Gold line away from the highly-inefficient Red/Gold conjunction to the Clifton corridor and connect with the Green line via the Blue line track at East Lake.
That is exactly what I hoped would happen from the get-go. But that plan was quickly shot down by residents, apparently because "Oh mah gerd I don't want them trainz in mah back yerd!" What's even stranger is that is that this is a voting populace that probably votes overwhelmingly Democratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
bu2
 
9,013 posts, read 5,729,738 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That is exactly what I hoped would happen from the get-go. But that plan was quickly shot down by residents, apparently because "Oh mah gerd I don't want them trainz in mah back yerd!" What's even stranger is that is that this is a voting populace that probably votes overwhelmingly Democratic.
And given that they are now tunneling through the area with the most vocal opposition, all the more reason to re-think their approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 PM
 
188 posts, read 122,498 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Nope, I haven't read anything that suggests that the Briarcliff/Morningside NIMBYs are opposing this primarily because of ridership projections, it's more because of noise issues. It's like protesting the construction of a commercial airport; NIMBYs don't protest those on the basis of "low passenger volume projections".

- skbl17
You missed the point. Those few NIMBYs don't want it because of the noise. Most everyone else isn't behind the plan because of the cost and low ROI. I don't oppose it because of noise. I oppose it because it is fiscally retarded. The noise is small compared to the billion+ dollar screw job to the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
4,914 posts, read 3,730,741 times
Reputation: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
You missed the point. Those few NIMBYs don't want it because of the noise. Most everyone else isn't behind the plan because of the cost and low ROI. I don't oppose it because of noise. I oppose it because it is fiscally retarded. The noise is small compared to the billion+ dollar screw job to the taxpayers.
Still a better ROI than trying to expand or reconfigure the road network through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,044 posts, read 804,600 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt
SNIP
No, I don't think I was missing a point. The Clifton Corridor doesn't exist in a vacuum, it is an important employment and educational center for Metro Atlanta and Georgia.

Think about what the Clifton Corridor connects. You have Lindbergh Center on one end, an important transfer point to other MARTA lines and a gateway to one of Atlanta's premier shopping and business centers: Buckhead. You have a major regional research university, Emory University. There's Emory Point, a new mixed-use shopping and residential area. You have an important global medical institution, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There's the DeKalb Medical Center, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, and Emory University Hospital all on or near the line, and Your Dekalb Farmer's Market lies near the eastern end of the proposed line.

When you have all those important Atlanta institutions and employers connected by one rail line, plus the poor road network and horrible traffic congestion of the area, I don't even pay that much attention to ridership projections. I should note that it's quite telling that from all the news and comments on the Clifton Corridor proposal over the last few years, the biggest complaints and concerns with regards to this line do not involve ridership projections, but noise concerns from homeowners, possible relocations, and mode of transit (LRT vs. HRT).

Interestingly, the Clifton Corridor project was a part of T-SPLOST in 2012. Of course, that vote failed due to (in my view anyway) the fact that it was just an incohesive wishlist of disconnected projects, not to mention the opposition of so many groups, such as the Tea Party, NAACP, and the Sierra Club. In fact, back when the ill-fated list of projects for the T-SPLOST was whittled down in 2011, the Clifton Corridor managed to survive both rounds of project cuts to make it on the final list.

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,960 posts, read 2,948,722 times
Reputation: 3213
I know the community said they prefer light rail for this corridor, but seems to me this should really be heavy rail.

Lindbergh and Avondale are already set up for HRT. Run the train below street level and underground. Third rail, not overhead power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top