U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM

3,332 posts, read 4,819,596 times

Advertisements

If I owned a property within 6 blocks of any of the proposed sites I would jump for joy. When the Morristown line in NJ started its direct service to Manhattan, property values jumped about 30% within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,656,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
If I owned a property within 6 blocks of any of the proposed sites I would jump for joy. When the Morristown line in NJ started its direct service to Manhattan, property values jumped about 30% within a year.
The folks around Emory CDC are not the ones that will benefit from this--they already live near the important destination (Manhattan?)--the folks that will see the benefit are mostly out in the suburbs (NJ?) with the sucky commutes--but most of them don't even live in counties that support MARTA--no trains in their backyards, and no 1% sales tax to support transit. I do think that heavy-rail makes sense for the area--but there there seems to be a certain unfairness to who would be paying for it, and who will really be benefitting from it.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 AM

743 posts, read 655,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The folks around Emory CDC are not the ones that will benefit from this--they already live near the important destination (Manhattan?)--the folks that will see the benefit are mostly out in the suburbs (NJ?) with the sucky commutes--but most of them don't even live in counties that support MARTA--no trains in their backyards, and no 1% sales tax to support transit. I do think that heavy-rail makes sense for the area--but there there seems to be a certain unfairness to who would be paying for it, and who will really be benefitting from it.
Yes, but that's assuming the people around Emory CDC are all working in that area. We all know that in metro-Atlanta, people living close to their area of employment isn't always a given.

I'm sure there's a large percentage of people living in this corridor that commute to one of the major job centers located directly off a Marta rail line (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, etc). While I wouldn't call the Emory CDC area NJ (no reason to be mean ), I certainly would compare the rail-connected job centers previously listed as the "Manhattan" or important destination.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:07 AM

22,245 posts, read 16,289,595 times
The fact remains that this is the largest employment center without rail transit or freeway access. Freeway access and widening the arterial roads are out of the question, that leaves the only other option as high quality transit access in the form of rail or BRT. I am sure a freeway extension would cost the same or more as the Clifton Corridor estimate.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 AM
bu2

9,023 posts, read 5,736,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The fact remains that this is the largest employment center without rail transit or freeway access. Freeway access and widening the arterial roads are out of the question, that leaves the only other option as high quality transit access in the form of rail or BRT. I am sure a freeway extension would cost the same or more as the Clifton Corridor estimate.
This is an important point. Its a major employment center with really poor access. Emory University is not going to move. Emory Hospital and Children's Hospital aren't moving-they have too much invested in infrastructure. We don't want CDC to move.

Widening some arterials (Briarcliff, LaVista, Haygood) and adding left turn lanes isn't out of the question, but that would have limits. And they are already awful.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM

22,245 posts, read 16,289,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is an important point. Its a major employment center with really poor access. Emory University is not going to move. Emory Hospital and Children's Hospital aren't moving-they have too much invested in infrastructure. We don't want CDC to move.

Widening some arterials (Briarcliff, LaVista, Haygood) and adding left turn lanes isn't out of the question, but that would have limits. And they are already awful.
Briarcliff should be at a maximum 4 lanes to Clairemont, with protected left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
LaVista should be at a maximum 4 lanes, with protected left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
Both are state roads, so it is GDOT's responsibility to widen them.
Haygood cuts thru campus, it should remain a low speed road.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM

9,959 posts, read 6,959,813 times
Widen roads isn't going to work there. Plus the homes there don't want it.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,656,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Yes, but that's assuming the people around Emory CDC are all working in that area. We all know that in metro-Atlanta, people living close to their area of employment isn't always a given.

I'm sure there's a large percentage of people living in this corridor that commute to one of the major job centers located directly off a Marta rail line (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, etc). While I wouldn't call the Emory CDC area NJ (no reason to be mean ), I certainly would compare the rail-connected job centers previously listed as the "Manhattan" or important destination.
The post that I was replying to stated that residents should be "jumping for joy" due to an increase in property values due to MARTA going through Emory neighborhoods--which was based on a NJ-Manhattan comparison. I doubt that property values in Manhattan went up due to increased access to a town in NJ--and I doubt that this is going to help home values in the Emory area either. This project is designed to increase access to the Emory-CDC job center--and the Emory neighborhoods--which is a good thing--but, really Emory, the Feds, and other metro counties should be footing more of the costs/contributing to MARTA, as opposed to just Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton counties. Heck, maybe it would be better for Dekalb if this doesn't happen--it might inspire some folks to move back to the Stone Mountain-Clarkston area to have a less awful commute!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Briarcliff should be at a maximum 4 lanes to Clairemont, with protected left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
LaVista should be at a maximum 4 lanes, with protected left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
Both are state roads, so it is GDOT's responsibility to widen them.
Haygood cuts thru campus, it should remain a low speed road.
Briarcliff and LaVista are largely two lane roads with no left turn lanes.

Haygood is planned to be widened and used to divert traffic from lower Clifton (at some point in the future). It doesn't cut through campus, but skirts the fringe with Druid Hills HS and a church on one side and Emory University property on the other side.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The post that I was replying to stated that residents should be "jumping for joy" due to an increase in property values due to MARTA going through Emory neighborhoods--which was based on a NJ-Manhattan comparison. I doubt that property values in Manhattan went up due to increased access to a town in NJ--and I doubt that this is going to help home values in the Emory area either. This project is designed to increase access to the Emory-CDC job center--and the Emory neighborhoods--which is a good thing--but, really Emory, the Feds, and other metro counties should be footing more of the costs/contributing to MARTA, as opposed to just Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton counties. Heck, maybe it would be better for Dekalb if this doesn't happen--it might inspire some folks to move back to the Stone Mountain-Clarkston area to have a less awful commute!
I take it you've never driven from Clarkston or Stone Mountain to town! They have some of the worst commutes in the area not involving GA400. Largely because of the Emory area congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or