U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,704,921 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

"On August 11, Brookhaven voters will decide in a special election runoff who will replace Jacobs. Three attorneys—Democrat Taylor Bennett, Republican Catherine Bernard, and Libertarian Loren Collins—and former Brookhaven Mayor J. Max Davis entered the race. In a Republican-leaning district, Bennett emerged as the top vote getter in the special election. But since no candidate received more than 50 percent of the vote, Bennett and Davis moved on to the heated runoff."

How a former Georgia Tech quarterback could break the state's GOP supermajority - Atlanta Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM

3,177 posts, read 3,045,491 times
Bennett won the election fairly easily.
More recently there was a photo in the AJC of him being sworn in & administered the oath of office by Judge Jacobs whose appointment to the judiciary by Gov. Deal opened up this Brookhaven seat when Jacobs resigned.
The article said that Bennett's choice of Jacobs to administer the oath to him was meant as a bi-partisan gesture.
If Bennett's election victory does guarantee that there is no Republican super majority in the Georgia House I would consider that a great thing. Total control of Georgia government by one party has not always worked out for the best, to put it mildly.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,704,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Bennett won the election fairly easily.
More recently there was a photo in the AJC of him being sworn in & administered the oath of office by Judge Jacobs whose appointment to the judiciary by Gov. Deal opened up this Brookhaven seat when Jacobs resigned.
The article said that Bennett's choice of Jacobs to administer the oath to him was meant as a bi-partisan gesture.
If Bennett's election victory does guarantee that there is no Republican super majority in the Georgia House I would consider that a great thing. Total control of Georgia government by one party has not always worked out for the best, to put it mildly.

yeah - I guess we will see what this next legislative year brings. I think as these younger folks come into office, we are going to see bigger and broader changes. We have officially crossed the generational Digital Divide.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:34 AM

188 posts, read 122,072 times
He was an awful QB and went to to an awful Law School at John Marshall. That is two strikes IMO.

-DirkMcGirt out

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

7,803 posts, read 11,753,897 times
You're a little late to the party, Bennett won and the supermajority has been broken. This is just the beginning of the reversal of power in the Gold Dome.

Surprise state House win creates a new Georgia Democratic star | Political Insider blog

Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 AM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
What you need in government is balance, not one side dominating everything.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:55 AM

188 posts, read 122,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What you need in government is balance, not one side dominating everything.
I agree. Time for some balance in big city politics. One party has run so many urban areas into the ground for decades.

-DirkMcGirt out

Old 09-04-2015, 03:59 PM

1,043 posts, read 802,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
I agree. Time for some balance in big city politics. One party has run so many urban areas into the ground for decades.

-DirkMcGirt out
We need balance in city and state politics. No need for parties to be running cities and states into the ground or harming reputations. I hate one-sided monopolies in government, regardless of the party or level of government.

- skbl17

Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 PM

7,803 posts, read 11,753,897 times
Has there ever been a representative government that was equally balanced? I hear people often say this, but it's nothing more than an idyllic dream.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 3,237,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Has there ever been a representative government that was equally balanced? I hear people often say this, but it's nothing more than an idyllic dream.
No. Most families can't even make a balanced decision without bickering. It's like the dream of having politicians that aren't career politicians. Sounds great and all but you need someone who knows how the system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or