U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 AM

650 posts, read 1,268,126 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's odor problem explained / Lack of rainwater is what's causing Atlanta drains to stink.

Atlanta's odor problem explained

ATLANTA (WXIA) -- The city of Atlanta is about to welcome 300,000 visitors to the city this Labor Day weekend. They may be welcomed by a pungent smell wafting through the city. It may hit you when you're on the way to that neighborhood barbecue.
Anywhere you go in Atlanta right now, it could hit you.
We spoke with some people near a city drain near 14th Street and Williams Street. Their descriptions were: "horrible," "It just stinks," and "It just smells like sewage."
That's exactly it is. We asked Lillian Govus, communications Director for the Department of Wastewater Mangement, what the solution is to clear the air.
"We're waiting on the rain," she said.
Govus said Atlanta's wastewater treatment system is controlled by gravity. The drainage flows South. It is not flushed by man-made filtration. Instead, raw sewage drains downstream to the treatment center. Which means what's needed to freshen the drains is rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,707,121 times
But we've had a good amount of rain recently. If the system relies on even more rain, then it's badly designed.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,647,202 times
I agree with MattCW.

I have not smelled anything horrid except for the area across from Pike's on Roswell Rd. I thought the problem was fertilizer, but I found out the odor was about actual sewage problems over the yeasr/bad design/a whole slew of drama. I even started a thread asing what in the world on here asking what in the world was ther smell.

Now, I remember it was something feeding off Little Nancy Creek. I signed up for a community garden on the other side of it and sat on a waiting list for two years before a plot became open in late spring. I'm embarrased, but I could not bring myself to say that there's no way under the sun I'm going to dig around in whatever is happening in that dirt. So, I just ignored the phone calls letting me now I finally had a plot. It feels horrible, but I just didn't feel like explaining my reasons about how I now they have a situation.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:30 AM

1,189 posts, read 734,096 times
Maybe rain will help the stinky attitude problem, too?

Nah, probably not... need more of a tornado for that.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 AM

975 posts, read 807,663 times
That's weird. I was watching WeatherNation last night, and the meteorologist mentioned that we're more than 6 inches above the average rainfall for the year (and that includes a fair amount of rain in August). Seems a lack of rainwater shouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned above, it sounds like a design flaw.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
It is probably a byproduct or design oversight as the city continues to transition from a system that use to have both sewage and rainwater together to one where it is separate. The city still has sections of pipe handling sewage that was originally intended to have both sewage and rainwater

Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,199,016 times
To be honest, I've never realize this throughout living there for 5 years, and living in GA all my life until last few years.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:29 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,252,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post

Atlanta's odor problem explained / Lack of rainwater is what's causing Atlanta drains to stink.

Atlanta's odor problem explained

ATLANTA (WXIA) -- The city of Atlanta is about to welcome 300,000 visitors to the city this Labor Day weekend. They may be welcomed by a pungent smell wafting through the city. It may hit you when you're on the way to that neighborhood barbecue.
Anywhere you go in Atlanta right now, it could hit you.
We spoke with some people near a city drain near 14th Street and Williams Street. Their descriptions were: "horrible," "It just stinks," and "It just smells like sewage."
That's exactly it is. We asked Lillian Govus, communications Director for the Department of Wastewater Mangement, what the solution is to clear the air.
"We're waiting on the rain," she said.
Govus said Atlanta's wastewater treatment system is controlled by gravity. The drainage flows South. It is not flushed by man-made filtration. Instead, raw sewage drains downstream to the treatment center. Which means what's needed to freshen the drains is rain.
That doesn't make sense since we had a lot of rain this year.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,647,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
That doesn't make sense since we had a lot of rain this year.
I'm not going along with that either. There were years of drought when I could only water my lawn on certain days or for that matter get my car washed, and that hasn't been a thing in a while.

I needed to refresh my memory so I looked for my old thread about the smell.

The place across from Pike's is Blue Heron Nature Preserve but it obviously in itself the whole source of the problem if there are odor situations in other areas. Anyway, this is what I found out then and it's way more of a problem than lack of rain: What is the source of the smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
While I didn't find anything on WSB, I did find an article on the Northside Neighbor, Neighbor Newspapers - Column Creeks offered pungent reminder of progress

Here's a summary:
  1. The “pungent smell” has been around Nancy Creek and other areas since the late 80s.
  2. As a result, the City of Atlanta was sued for failing to maintain its sewer system in 1995.
  3. The sewage and stormwater runoff share pipes resulting in raw sewage flowing into the creeks.
  4. There's a $3 billion project to fix this which should be completed in 2014.

So in short, it is indeed what it smells like.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 AM

3,207 posts, read 4,507,427 times
Amazing that the media can't be counted on to even do a basic examination of pertinent facts. A whole article just parroting some quotes from a city official, without an ounce of insight or context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or