U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:46 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,015,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Officials have been quoted to saying they relate to the development of SunTrust Field.
So GDOT shouldn't spend any money to improve transportation corridors where pretty much everyone agrees congestion will be an issue? The people stuck in traffic up there happen to be taxpaying citizens as well. GDOT had the sense to red line the most preposterous requests made by Cobb, and are funding many projects at much lower levels than requested. I guess I just don't understand the outrage over Cobb requesting for a lot of money to do a lot of projects, and getting substantially less than requested. We are upset because Cobb had the gall to ask for the money? We sorta knew that was coming, and honestly it's sort of par for the course at this point. I bet Atlanta requested a boatload of money for projects in and around major congestion points as well, some of which will likely benefit private enterprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:48 PM

22,255 posts, read 16,304,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
So GDOT shouldn't spend any money to improve transportation corridors where pretty much everyone agrees congestion will be an issue? The people stuck in traffic up there happen to be taxpaying citizens as well. GDOT had the sense to red line the most preposterous requests made by Cobb, and are funding many projects at much lower levels than requested. I guess I just don't understand the outrage over Cobb requesting for a lot of money to do a lot of projects, and getting substantially less than requested. I bet Atlanta requested a boatload of money for projects in and around major congestion points as well, some of which will likely benefit private enterprises.
Besides Cobb Pkwy, those are not state roads. Let Cobb County pay for the improvements. GDOT claims they are low on maintainance funds, so why are they spending money on non-state roads?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM

5,008 posts, read 3,511,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Besides Cobb Pkwy, those are not state roads. Let Cobb County pay for the improvements. GDOT claims they are low on maintainance funds, so why are they spending money on non-state roads?
Certain funding codes are earmarked for minor projects and operational improvements, even for non-state system corridors.

I think most people are PO'd because these projects are in Cobb, and as much as I'm not a fan of SunTrust Park, the "F*** Cobb" circlejerk on this board is getting real old.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 2,849,510 times
And yet, still no Marta funding...

Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,015,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post

I think most people are PO'd because these projects are in Cobb, and as much as I'm not a fan of SunTrust Park, the "F*** Cobb" circlejerk on this board is getting real old.
Basically this. It'd be a pretty bad negotiating tactic on Cobb's part to submit requests for what they think is the absolute minimum they require, or will get approved. They got 40% of what they asked for. Are wejust pissed because Cobb had the stones to request the funds in the first place? The Falcons somehow got $17M from taxpayers for a parking deck (nearly half of all the approved GDOT spend in Cobb) that was justified as a necessity because of the new stadium. There should be enough outrage to go around here, and it shouldn't all go up 75.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM

149 posts, read 125,151 times
Quote:
Basically this. It'd be a pretty bad negotiating tactic on Cobb's part to submit requests for what they think is the absolute minimum they require, or will get approved. They got 40% of what they asked for. Are wejust pissed because Cobb had the stones to request the funds in the first place? The Falcons somehow got $17M from taxpayers for a parking deck (nearly half of all the approved GDOT spend in Cobb) that was justified as a necessity because of the new stadium. There should be enough outrage to go around here, and it shouldn't all go up 75.
Sounds like more reasons to have kept the Braves in Atlanta. Build infrastructure that can support all four Major League sports teams rather than having to double up.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 PM

5,008 posts, read 3,511,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
Sounds like more reasons to have kept the Braves in Atlanta. Build infrastructure that can support all four Major League sports teams rather than having to double up.
So you would've been okay with the City of Atlanta/Fulton County forking over $150-250 million to the Braves to make this possible?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM

9,965 posts, read 6,968,222 times
I am quite glad the city didn't fork over money to the Liberty Media.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:51 PM

22,255 posts, read 16,304,895 times
Quote:
The parking garage is just as upsetting. I was more focused on the fact that the bridge was originally going to be paid for by the funds set aside for the stadium, but then tried to get pushed on the state taxpayers.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:01 PM

9,965 posts, read 6,968,222 times
Yep. The Falcons Parking Garage is BS too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or