U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 PM

71 posts, read 41,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If you are going to get ther by 9:00 there will be plenty of spaces in the parking decks along the parade route. Just find a copy of the route online, and you will be ok. Last year we decided to go last minute on a whim, and did not have much trouble finding parking (--got there via Dekalb Ave--not Ponce) My wife fought for a good spot for our older kids, and I threw our toddler on my shoulders--I was the only one that missed anything, and I didn't do that poorly.
Was it really crazy in terms of being crowded? All of our kids are 1 and under so putting them on shoulders for longer than a minute or two won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 PM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlgirl2015 View Post
I honestly have no idea about anything MARTA related, I've never had to take it before despite living in Atlanta for several years. Is it like a NYC subway? Do you just buy tickets at the station? I'm in Druid Hills, so I don't know where the closest station would be. I think there is one near Inman Park? I'm going to see if the other moms want to take MARTA, I don't think I'd take it alone. Thanks for your advice!
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
Just know that MARTA is very safe, if that was a concern of yours. There will be a lot of people using it this weekend.
Closest station is either Inman Park/Reynoldstown or Edgewood/Candler Park. Both stations are served by 2 lines; Blue and Green trains so trains will be arriving every 6 minutes.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
parade starts at 10am... so be there by 9am, especially if you have kids in strollers. i suggest take marta, it shouldnt be crowded (yet) at that time. the trip back may be a little more crowded though.

get a good spot by the curb, so that your kids can sit in their strollers while the parade passes them by. the worst part is waiting for the parade to start, but once they roll through, your kids will be entertained.

i also suggest looking for a spot near the start of the parade (near civic center marta), as the peachtree center marta and hotel area is where it is most congested. if it is like past years, you will have a hell of a time with strollers in that area.
Thanks! I will avoid peachtree and the hotel areas. We will probably get breakfast there nice and early and then just hang out with some Elmo videos until the parade starts. The more I hear about MARTA the more I'm thinking just taking an uber might be easier.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,639,295 times
Quote:
Was it really crazy in terms of being crowded? All of our kids are 1 and under so putting them on shoulders for longer than a minute or two won't work.
Where we were was crazy crowded, but well behaved. You could probably even get there late push your way to the front with a stroller, and at most get a few upset looks, but that is about it--I would not suggest that--but just giving you a feel for the crowd when we were there--You might have to be a little aggressive to not wind up staring at someone's back (I wasn't, but my wife was).

Old 09-03-2015, 05:32 PM

1,189 posts, read 734,096 times
Corner of Pine St might not be too crowded?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 AM

329 posts, read 507,264 times
^^ yup if i was going this year thats where i would go and look for a spot.

i didnt even think about Uber, thats a great idea.

dont know if someone answered this already... but the parade lasts about an hour.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 PM

6,370 posts, read 4,525,717 times
Quote:
it was super packed today, This was my second visit to the Peachtree Ce nter area during Dragon Con. A few things I have to say is the conference has outgrown the sidewalks of Peachtree Street. Peachstret Street from Ellis to Baker should be closed at least til 3 or 4 pm, Or move it to the GWCC its great to see so many people in this part of Downtown, but DrAgon Con needs more space. The street spill locks up the sidewalks and you can not move around. Im surprised it hasnt been moved to GWCC yet. Another thing that wasnt cool to me was how the hotels lock down their perimeter. For example the kids saw some costumes in the Hyatt and Marquis front area that they wanted to be near or take pics off, but in order to do this you have to wait for the costumer to wonder into or near Peachtree. I could understand locking down the inside of the hotel, but the areas infront of the hotel should be open. Another thing is lack of food vendors. This is the perfect opportunity for street vendors, food trucks and the like. There is no where to eat on the streets. You have the expensive restaurants on Peachtree and Im sure they get their spike in business, but many people want easier access to food. Im sure street vendors and food trucks wouldnt put that much of a dent in the restaurants on Peachtree between ellis and baker. Anyway thats my take on what I saw today and some of the opinions my out of town guess had. I think the first thing to enhance the experience altogether is giving the people more room to move. Dragon Con brings in a lot of business, theyre is a lot of opportunities here.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 PM

980 posts, read 550,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
it was super packed today, This was my second visit to the Peachtree Ce nter area during Dragon Con. A few things I have to say is the conference has outgrown the sidewalks of Peachtree Street. Peachstret Street from Ellis to Baker should be closed at least til 3 or 4 pm, Or move it to the GWCC its great to see so many people in this part of Downtown, but DrAgon Con needs more space. The street spill locks up the sidewalks and you can not move around. Im surprised it hasnt been moved to GWCC yet. Another thing that wasnt cool to me was how the hotels lock down their perimeter. For example the kids saw some costumes in the Hyatt and Marquis front area that they wanted to be near or take pics off, but in order to do this you have to wait for the costumer to wonder into or near Peachtree. I could understand locking down the inside of the hotel, but the areas infront of the hotel should be open. Another thing is lack of food vendors. This is the perfect opportunity for street vendors, food trucks and the like. There is no where to eat on the streets. You have the expensive restaurants on Peachtree and Im sure they get their spike in business, but many people want easier access to food. Im sure street vendors and food trucks wouldnt put that much of a dent in the restaurants on Peachtree between ellis and baker. Anyway thats my take on what I saw today and some of the opinions my out of town guess had. I think the first thing to enhance the experience altogether is giving the people more room to move. Dragon Con brings in a lot of business, theyre is a lot of opportunities here.
Great points. Agree with everything.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:29 AM

6,370 posts, read 4,525,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Great points. Agree with everything.
were you out there today? Ivs never really seen Preachtree Center that busy.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:08 PM

We attended the parade and I just drove from Druid Hills and parked in one of the lots on Baker. It was a bit expensive but absolutely worth it for the convience factor. At 8am none of the lots on Baker were particularly busy and it was a very short stroll to Peachtree. Based on the crowd of people around where one of the MARTA was as the day wore on, I would avoid riding MARTA with a stroller at all costs.
We grabbed breakfast and got a great spot to watch a bit closer to where the parade started about an hour before start time. It was pretty cool and honestly nowhere near as congested as the L5P Halloween parade, because there was just that much more room for everyone to spread out. Also, lots of families out and about, which was so great to see. I ended up leaving a bit earlier because I was worried about everyone running for their cars as soon as the parade was done. I was stuck in traffic for about 10-15 min max downtown but once I exited that area, there was absolutely no traffic at all headed back home. Overall a great experience and very easy to enjoy with kids.
Thanks everyone for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta