Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

I'd bet on I-75 N first. Then I-20 W. Then finally I-75S to Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 04:37 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
i'd bet on i-75 n first. Then i-20 w. Then finally i-75s to macon.

i-20 w?

Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Megapolis is based on several metros combining with millions and not thousands.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
i-20 w?
I guess to Birmingham. It is well traveled, but there are pretty big gaps of nothing at the moment.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I guess to Birmingham. It is well traveled, but there are pretty big gaps of nothing at the moment.

Yes, hence my question mark.

Way less gaps going south on 75.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Just a lot of suburbs that could develop quickly to the Alabama border. And Birmingham is a lot bigger than Macon, Columbus or Chattanooga, even if further. Anniston and some of those Alabama towns could grow from being in between.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Just a lot of suburbs that could develop quickly to the Alabama border. And Birmingham is a lot bigger than Macon, Columbus or Chattanooga, even if further. Anniston and some of those Alabama towns could grow from being in between.

The northern Macon suburbs/Forsyth and the southern Atlanta suburbs gon' connect first.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
genuine question: why are people wanting population growth? Specifically, sprawl? (if I am reading that map right?)

Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Which Corridor between Atlanta will most likey see a possibality of Megapolis type Urban/Suburban build up with in the next 30 to 40 years between 2nd Tier Cities. Will it be the I-75 Corridor between Macon or the I-85 / I-185 between Columbus, GA?
Given that I-75 south of Atlanta handles a lot more traffic, has a lot more development than I-85 south of Atlanta does, and is a major link between Atlanta (and points north of Atlanta) and the fast-growing international seaport at Savannah, I-75 south between Atlanta and Columbus would seem to have a higher probability of seeing increased growth than I-85 south between Atlanta and Columbus.

Though, for the growth potential of the corridor along I-75 South between Atlanta and Macon/Warner Robins to be fully realized, there will likely have to be some multimodal infrastructure improvements and upgrades made through the corridor....Multimodal infrastructure improvements and upgrades like the potential widening of I-75 to 8 mainline lanes between Stockbridge and Macon to handle the expected increase in freight truck traffic, the implementation of higher-speed regional high-capacity passenger rail service along both existing freight rail right-of-ways between Atlanta and Macon, and upgrades to the existing freight rail tracks to handle the movement of much more freight rail traffic between Atlanta and Savannah by way of Macon.

Because of the expected continued fast growth of the international seaport at Savannah, the Atlanta-Macon corridor has much growth potential. The question is whether the multimodal transportation infrastructure be in place for that immense growth potential to ever be fully realized.

Though the I-85 South corridor between Atlanta and Columbus does not seem to have as much growth potential as the I-75 South corridor between Atlanta and Macon does, I-85 South (southwest) between Atlanta and Columbus seems to have some growth potential. But just as with the I-75 South corridor between Atlanta and Macon, the I-85 corridor between Atlanta and Columbus will most likely have to see some multimodal transportation upgrades (mainly the implementation of regional high-speed, high-capacity passenger rail transit service between Atlanta and Columbus) for that growth potential to be realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
genuine question: why are people wanting population growth? Specifically, sprawl? (if I am reading that map right?)
That's a good question which raises an important point.

Growth for growth's sake without any regard to how that growth will adversely impact existing infrastructure (transportation, water, etc) would not be a good and/or wise path to continue down.

Moving forward and with regard to possible and likely future growth in corridors stretching out from Atlanta like I-75 South (Atlanta-Macon), I-75 North (Atlanta-Chattanooga) and I-85 Northeast (Atlanta-Greenville), close attention should (and will most likely have to) be paid to growing in a smarter and more sustainable fashion instead of building (or attempting to build) much more of the very low-density automobile-dominated development patterns (or sprawl) that have dominated the post-World War II era.

The road infrastructure (particularly along the largely 6-lane I-75 South corridor between Atlanta and Macon) is just simply too limited to handle the addition of development that is geared only towards automobiles with no allowance for transit use.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Why is the thread still going?

A megalopolis, or megapolis, is a very large, heavily populated urban complex that consists of several large cities and suburbs that adjoin each other. An example of a megalopolis is BosWash, the metropolitan area in northeast U.S. that stretches from Boston to Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta