U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM

41 posts, read 36,368 times

Advertisements

I adopted a beagle-mix from an animal rescue on Saturday. He's an active 2 year old, and I am looking for a good day care that will allow him to expend energy while I'm at work. I live in Dunwoody(near Perimeter mall) and I work near the airport. Does anyone have experience with doggy day care in those areas? Any suggestions? Also, any good dog trainers? He likes to jump on everyone to greet them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM

7,740 posts, read 9,618,190 times
I think I can help you with your jumping problem.

My dog used to be extremely reactive to any animal on TV. She would go nuts, barking and carrying on anytime an animal came on TV. It was annoying. She also liked to jump on guests.

My mom has a tendency to fall for things she sees on QVC, etc., so when she sent me a handheld bark control device, I was super skeptical. But I humored her and decided to try it. Well, would you believe that it only took one use to work? My dog saw an animal on TV, I pressed the button, her ears perked up and she sit next to me quietly. And she's never done it since.

This device is like and electronic dog whistle, it emits a high pitched sound that you can't hear (you can barely hear it if you put your ear right up to the speaker), but your dog hates the sound. It's marketed as bark control, but it's really just negative reinforcement you can use to correct any behavior. I began "popping" my dog with this device when she jumped on guests, and she stopped doing that, too. I'm really amazed how well it worked.

The literature is forthcoming in admitting that there are a small percentage of dogs that it just doesn't seem to work on. But I've recommended it to friends, and they've all seen good results as well.

I pretty much share this with anyone who needs help with dog training because positive reinforcement doesn't always work for everything, and you certainly don't want to hit or otherwise hurt your dog. But some dogs need a little negative reinforcement, and this seems to be a humane way to do it. I don't know if it actually hurts their ears, or they just hate the sound, but either way, the sound only lasts a second. It helped save my life....I can watch TV again. I never realized how many dogs and other animals are used on TV shows, movies, and commercials until I had a dog that reacted strongly to them.

Check it out:

Amazon.com : First Alert Bark Genie Handheld Bark Control : First Alert : Sonic Barking Deterrents : Pet Supplies

I don't work for First Alert, Amazon, or any company affiliated with this product, I'm just a customer who was surprised by how well it works and how few people know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or