U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 PM
 
2,544 posts, read 1,301,242 times
Reputation: 6756

Advertisements

Those developments are not appropriate for the area size wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,417 posts, read 2,745,866 times
Reputation: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Good point. But what would they engage the street with? A waiting room? Or bring in some private coffee shops / businesses?
Yeah, a library strikes me as the kind of thing that can totally integrate with the street-activity. That said, I also get the idea that it's odd to have county services on TOD land, since it's usually cheaper in the long run for a county to own the land the buildings sit on over leasing it.

It can very well have outside cafe space, or outside reading space, maybe a small / discount bookstore in addition to the library, patio space, performance space, etc. If it's treated like a mini-community center, with plenty of activities and events and such, it should do pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:35 PM
 
2,544 posts, read 1,301,242 times
Reputation: 6756
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Yeah, a library strikes me as the kind of thing that can totally integrate with the street-activity. That said, I also get the idea that it's odd to have county services on TOD land, since it's usually cheaper in the long run for a county to own the land the buildings sit on over leasing it.

It can very well have outside cafe space, or outside reading space, maybe a small / discount bookstore in addition to the library, patio space, performance space, etc. If it's treated like a mini-community center, with plenty of activities and events and such, it should do pretty well.
There is up to 40K of "civic space" allocated for the development. I have seen some cities incorporate a civic center in their TOD design, which would be cool here, I think, as Brookhaven lacks a venue for small concerts, theatre productions and other assemblies.

Interestingly -- a survey that MARTA recently put out to residents had 2 questions that specifically referenced whether a library should be included. No mention of any other civic uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 PM
 
2,544 posts, read 1,301,242 times
Reputation: 6756
MARTA revised the Brookhaven TOD plan based on citizen input. This one is much better....includes a food hall and ownership component.

MARTA unveils revised Brookhaven/Oglethorpe University TOD plan | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Vinings
5,951 posts, read 2,927,075 times
Reputation: 3198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
MARTA revised the Brookhaven TOD plan based on citizen input. This one is much better....includes a food hall and ownership component.

MARTA unveils revised Brookhaven/Oglethorpe University TOD plan | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA
That is just glorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,006 posts, read 3,492,355 times
Reputation: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
MARTA revised the Brookhaven TOD plan based on citizen input. This one is much better....includes a food hall and ownership component.

MARTA unveils revised Brookhaven/Oglethorpe University TOD plan | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA
Very nice, also like this:

Quote:
According to MARTA, funding from a $2 million Federal grant received from the Atlanta Regional Commission will be used for improvements to the Station access tunnel – complete with an elevator.
An elevator for that tunnel is long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,200 posts, read 16,217,296 times
Reputation: 4918
Glad to see MARTA and developer is willing to work with the residents and listen to their feedback. This project will add a lot of tax money to Brookhaven's coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 AM
 
9,928 posts, read 6,926,296 times
Reputation: 3022
Nice. More density makes a city better so I am disappointed some of the pieces got a little scaled back. However, I understand that change often is incremental and this is still very awesome. Much better than the mostly empty parking lot that is currently there. Good job. Looking forward to this happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM
 
2,544 posts, read 1,301,242 times
Reputation: 6756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nice. More density makes a city better so I am disappointed some of the pieces got a little scaled back. However, I understand that change often is incremental and this is still very awesome. Much better than the mostly empty parking lot that is currently there. Good job. Looking forward to this happening.
It depends on how you define density. This revised plan with the green space and food hall etc. will draw more "street life" during the day, rather that just having occupied offices with people indoors working and apartments where residents are away working for much of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 AM
 
9,928 posts, read 6,926,296 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It depends on how you define density. This revised plan with the green space and food hall etc. will draw more "street life" during the day, rather that just having occupied offices with people indoors working and apartments where residents are away working for much of the day.
True. Green space is a key part of density. There is a reason the densest parts of Atlanta are next to Piedmont Park and the densest parts of the US are around NYC's Central Park.

But I don't think they really increased the "green space" much in this revision. Just downsized the buildings a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top