U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,588 posts, read 1,500,012 times
Reputation: 3383

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
MARTA is supposed to help handle special events. They are essential for the Peachtree, but their rail service isn't enough for getting the 60,000 people to Lenox at roughly the same time. Their parking lot helps.
Soooo...we leave the parking lot to help alleviate the congestion for the Peachtree Road Race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,405 posts, read 2,732,578 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Soooo...we leave the parking lot to help alleviate the congestion for the Peachtree Road Race?
Nope, the relatively small fraction of people who use those lots compared to everyone else in a special event one day out of the year don't get to dictate how the property is handled. MARTA needs to turn it's lots into actual developments with dedicated parking for residents and their guests, as well as a minimum of spaces to serve any businesses. Funds from TODs are an amazing way to increase revenue, and will help even further to strengthen MARTA's budget.

Some people will just find something in everything to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,994 posts, read 3,480,819 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Might make a mess of the Peachtree Road Race if they take out a lot of spaces at Brookhaven. A lot of people park there and walk to the start. MARTA is already over capacity on that morning.
Unless the runners are using it to short-hop to Lenox (I did that when I lived in Brookhaven), what they are doing is illegal and their cars should be towed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
294 posts, read 347,750 times
Reputation: 157
Won't they be building a parking garage to replace those parking spots lost or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2015, 11:24 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Unless the runners are using it to short-hop to Lenox (I did that when I lived in Brookhaven), what they are doing is illegal and their cars should be towed.
The idea is to take MARTA back to Brookhaven. Its a point to point race from Lenox to Piedmont Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
Won't they be building a parking garage to replace those parking spots lost or no?
Sounds like they are saying they don't fill them all up so they are getting rid of them.

I don't know what the numbers show, but if there aren't a lot of excess they could be harming the future growth of the system. I was at College Park a few weeks ago and there wasn't a single spot in their lot. I went to East Point and at 10 am there were less than 10. That was before school started, so it would probably be worse now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 AM
 
28,140 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Nope, the relatively small fraction of people who use those lots compared to everyone else in a special event one day out of the year don't get to dictate how the property is handled. MARTA needs to turn it's lots into actual developments with dedicated parking for residents and their guests, as well as a minimum of spaces to serve any businesses. Funds from TODs are an amazing way to increase revenue, and will help even further to strengthen MARTA's budget.
I am okay with people parking on the nearby streets for one off events like this. Unless I am mistaken they do it anyway and most of them are gone by lunchtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Prescott, AZ
5,405 posts, read 2,732,578 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with people parking on the nearby streets for one off events like this. Unless I am mistaken they do it anyway and most of them are gone by lunchtime.
Exactly. To quote a a silly man in a great movie,"Life, uh, finds a way." The priority for MARTA should be to utilize underused land to the best of its potential. The people who use the lots on the outlier days will find other places to park, or MARTA will build a deck to accommodate the traffic while the rest of the land is built up.

Either way, it'll work out.

Last edited by fourthwarden; 09-04-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
1,405 posts, read 1,157,075 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sounds like they are saying they don't fill them all up so they are getting rid of them.

I don't know what the numbers show, but if there aren't a lot of excess they could be harming the future growth of the system. I was at College Park a few weeks ago and there wasn't a single spot in their lot. I went to East Point and at 10 am there were less than 10. That was before school started, so it would probably be worse now.
Most of those cars are probably single occupant vehicles in the parking lot, meaning one person commuting to park there and then take MARTA. A mid to high-rise development on any MARTA lot will provide a lot more people using the system than a single level surface parking lot. I don't know what the exact numbers would be, but I assume a mid to high rise complex with 300+ apartments, likely a mix of studio, 1 and 2 bedrooms units, will provide a lot more people paying to take MARTA than does a full parking lot. I think it's more important to grow live/work/play destinations with direct access to MARTA rail than to isolate the stations in a sea of parking used by commuters. Stations need to be a 24-hr destinations (meaning within walking distance to things to do), not a park-and-ride.

I agree we do need a commuter rail system with park-and-ride lots to keep traffic out of Atlanta, but these ITP stations need to be more walkable and more a part of the community, rather than isolated monstrosities (see King Memorial). When are these other developments going to get started? King Memorial was announced over 2 years ago now, and Grady is still using the parking lot, so I'm guessing they're not building anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 AM
 
362 posts, read 292,355 times
Reputation: 374
Artist sketch of the Brookhaven TOD. Looks kind of like Atlantic Station with Marta running through the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top